Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64562 times)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: Europa Universalis General Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2013, 12:24:45 am »
I'm not sure of the actual year, was late 1400's I think (I've started a new game.) As for war taxes, I will only use it if I am low on money, and my income is minus, which up until this point, was the first time I had used it. Unit types were upgraded, only the once though. As for army size, I'm unsure, I think I was struggling for men at this point. Chance of revolt was at 20% at its highest, and this was in core provinces...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:56 am »
Were you in a prolonged war, especially losing troops to attrition?

Sounds like high War Exhaustion/Some event like Peasant's War/Time of Troubles (which is a bugged POS) as Kafein said.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2013, 12:43:38 am »
Constantly at war, it never stops, and it's possible I was losing troops to attrition. Ok, I shall see how this next playthrough goes, and I will try and keep an eye out for event pop ups. Thanks for the help guys... ;)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2013, 12:47:57 am »
Lizard, maybe your infamy was above the limit, I personally didn't notice anything about infamy when I started trying the game and suddenly had half the world against me and insane rebellions.
Can't believe no one else thought of infamy as an obvious reason.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2013, 01:04:17 am »
All this with an infamy rating of less then 20.

I thought this would have been around average, what exactly is high? It's not even in the red, or only just...

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2013, 01:19:00 am »
I thought this would have been around average, what exactly is high? It's not even in the red, or only just...
Well, 20 isn't allout high, but depending on your ruler and your choices 20 could be bellow the infamy limit, the standard limit is 25, ruler skills and certain choices increase and decrease it, but it's pretty close to above the bar regardlessly, and therefore it most likely caused all nations to quickly hate you though (were you excommunicated?), lowered your papal influence, and while that doesn't explain your national problems (suddenly getting a shitload of revolts and extreme revolt risk is only really linked to the infamy as far as I've experienced it (which I still think could easily be it depending on which national decisions you picked and the stats of your leader) or enemy spies).

Also I'd advice trying your best to always staying under 15 infamy, anything above 20 is risky and anything above 10 makes people hate you really fast.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2013, 02:01:55 am »
I have never once been excommunicated in this game, and I always try to stay on good terms with the Papal States, although at this point, I think they may have backstabbed me. I'll try and keep my infamy under control, although in this new game, it's already at 20 and I'm only 20 years into the game. But I have managed to annex Ireland and Scotland, and vassalize Brittany in this short time. Thanks for the help Zlisch (See, I'm a friendly guy now I've quit Crpg) and everyone else...

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2013, 07:18:54 am »
Can't believe no one else thought of infamy as an obvious reason.

I had this once, sudden legitimacy drop, and I used to play around to exactly not hit the infamy limit on my first hungary game.

Could be part of the reason, you should really look out for your infamy limit because it changes constantly.

Thing is, I ignored it because he said "It's at 20" thought that's fine and didn't think much about it. If it's ok, why think about it?  :mrgreen:

---------------------

Some nice infamy reduction methods I used;

-Get Artist advisor, spam cultural decision "Comission Painting".
 This will get your cultural tradition up, this works just like in the army and the navy, higher the percentage, better the advisor.
 Get it up to 100%, then recruit a.. diplomat I think. Enjoy the -0.30 infamy advisor.

-Casus bellis. Obviously if you take territory without a claim you take a ton of infamy.
  This can be ignored in the mid-late game if you have the technology, but for the early game.
  If you want early territory, abuse the crap out of the Holy War/Religious Liberation CB.

These will go away I think at 1600 or something, so if you want to gain land easily, use this to your advantage.
Meanwhile, build up your government technology like crazy with land, if you are warmongering. Why?

Absolute Monarchy.
It's badass, if you gain Absolute Monarchy you gain "Imperialism" Casus Belli, you can point on ANYONE on the map with a war threat, and get a 50% infamy reduction, meaning 2 infamy/province. This comes in only at Gov. lvl 27 according to the Wiki, in Death&Taxes it was 33 if I'm correct.

A more viable thing is building an Embassy. These need to be reconstructed often for whatever reason, related to cores or something. But give good -infamy. Also Cabinet is another -1.00 as a National Idea.

Oh, and if you're catholic and worry about excommunication.. The Pope in this game is a total joke, just blind him by sending gifts, he'll let you do whatever you want. The pope in M2TW is much, much more annoying as a christian realm.

Oh, wait. You know this stuff maybe? If yes, that was a waste of characters haha.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:40:06 am by Christo »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2013, 07:35:21 am »
Well, 20 isn't allout high, but depending on your ruler and your choices 20 could be bellow the infamy limit, the standard limit is 25, ruler skills and certain choices increase and decrease it, but it's pretty close to above the bar regardlessly, and therefore it most likely caused all nations to quickly hate you though (were you excommunicated?), lowered your papal influence, and while that doesn't explain your national problems (suddenly getting a shitload of revolts and extreme revolt risk is only really linked to the infamy as far as I've experienced it (which I still think could easily be it depending on which national decisions you picked and the stats of your leader) or enemy spies).

Also I'd advice trying your best to always staying under 15 infamy, anything above 20 is risky and anything above 10 makes people hate you really fast.

I sit at 20-30 regularly, who needs allies?

Offline Abay

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Steam: badbreaking
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Abay
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2013, 08:03:02 am »
I play it in very hard mod and my allies help me very much if choose ottomans  :)
infamy is bad
edit: my up level is 12 for infamy(3-5 in general)
[17:48] <Vovka> thx chadz

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2013, 09:51:44 am »
I had this once, sudden legitimacy drop, and I used to play around to exactly not hit the infamy limit on my first hungary game.

Could be part of the reason, you should really look out for your infamy limit because it changes constantly.

Thing is, I ignored it because he said "It's at 20" thought that's fine and didn't think much about it. If it's ok, why think about it?  :mrgreen:

---------------------

Some nice infamy reduction methods I used;

-Get Artist advisor, spam cultural decision "Comission Painting".
 This will get your cultural tradition up, this works just like in the army and the navy, higher the percentage, better the advisor.
 Get it up to 100%, then recruit a.. diplomat I think. Enjoy the -0.30 infamy advisor.

-Casus bellis. Obviously if you take territory without a claim you take a ton of infamy.
  This can be ignored in the mid-late game if you have the technology, but for the early game.
  If you want early territory, abuse the crap out of the Holy War/Religious Liberation CB.

These will go away I think at 1600 or something, so if you want to gain land easily, use this to your advantage.
Meanwhile, build up your government technology like crazy with land, if you are warmongering. Why?

Absolute Monarchy.
It's badass, if you gain Absolute Monarchy you gain "Imperialism" Casus Belli, you can point on ANYONE on the map with a war threat, and get a 50% infamy reduction, meaning 2 infamy/province. This comes in only at Gov. lvl 27 according to the Wiki, in Death&Taxes it was 33 if I'm correct.

A more viable thing is building an Embassy. These need to be reconstructed often for whatever reason, related to cores or something. But give good -infamy. Also Cabinet is another -1.00 as a National Idea.

Oh, and if you're catholic and worry about excommunication.. The Pope in this game is a total joke, just blind him by sending gifts, he'll let you do whatever you want. The pope in M2TW is much, much more annoying as a christian realm.

Oh, wait. You know this stuff maybe? If yes, that was a waste of characters haha.

The absolute killer technique for keeping your infamy low as a catholic nation is too get as many cardinals as possible.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
Fuck infamy, if you ain't above the limit everything is fine. Allies and good relations are useless, if you want allies go and vassalize some nations. Only thing is that if you are close to your limit and your ruler dies or something else happens you might suddenly be above it. Being above it is bad, very bad. People declaring war on you is not that bad, but god those rebellions, 26k lolwut.

In my experience besieging level 1 and 2 forts with 20k troops is just a simple press of the assault button, even without breaching walls. Perhaps you have retarded technology or shitty morale.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:15 am »
+1
Fuck infamy, if you ain't above the limit everything is fine. Allies and good relations are useless, if you want allies go and vassalize some nations. Only thing is that if you are close to your limit and your ruler dies or something else happens you might suddenly be above it. Being above it is bad, very bad. People declaring war on you is not that bad, but god those rebellions, 26k lolwut.

In my experience besieging level 1 and 2 forts with 20k troops is just a simple press of the assault button, even without breaching walls. Perhaps you have retarded technology or shitty morale.

Except if you want an additional 150 gold income per month, in which case it is best to keep your infamy as close to 0 as possible. Merchants are awesome.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »
The absolute killer technique for keeping your infamy low as a catholic nation is too get as many cardinals as possible.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2013, 03:27:16 pm »
I sit at 20-30 regularly, who needs allies?
Well, allies ain't that important, but when you're playing some tiny weak nation like for example Tuscany it's not exactly ideal to have Milan, Austria, and Napals all have insanely low relations with you, and you'll have a lot of nations looking to hit you at any time. Nearly got completely fucked in my Tuscany game while trying to take over Milan and beat Austria out of Italy when Venice, Napals, and Switzerland all declare war on me when most of my remaining troops are halfdead deep inside Austria.