Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64457 times)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »
This is one game i can't wait to get my hands on... :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »
Good god.

Rebels everywhere, Golden Horde blasting into my country, then ottomans and Italian rebels pop up from everywhere to harass me.

Jesus. Looks like this isn't a beginner-friendly nation to play as,  :)

Austria is easy mode. Bohemia is somewhat easy mode. France and Burgundy are easy mode. Castille is easy mode. If it is big and blobby and in the west, probably easy mode. Unless it is England. England is children's mode.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »
Playing as Khmer, this is as far as i've got where everything goes to shit. Korea and the rebels are fucking me up, and on top of that, i'm bankrupt. Looks like i'll have to start again with Khmer, it's been a while since i've played, and it seems i've picked a hard nation to play as...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 05:07:40 pm »
One thing that was really frustrating at first, is the way how alliances work, compared to a Total War game, where you only sign alliances to not get stabbed in the back instantly, some douchebag factions do that anyway but you get the picture.

If you played your cards well, you only had to focus at one front at a time. Here, on the other hand, especially in crowded Europe.. holy shit.

It's nice that your allies actually come to your aid, though.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 06:05:53 pm »
Yeah, i allied with Pegu here and another nation which has been wiped out. But they switch on you the second the larger nation (Ayutthaya i think it is) to the left of Khmer declare war on you. Then Malacca and there allies attack you, now Korea and there allies. It's pretty tough, as i tend to not touch the treasury slider, so i'm constantly out of money. Will give it another go though...

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »
When you are at peace, you should try to keep your inflation at a minimum, and if possible decrease it.

- Always keep your treasury slider at a minimum

Having uncontrollable inflation is obviously bad, but you can get inflation with a plan. Rake in cash, pay mercenaries, and decrease inflation from the income of your conquest. Etc.
But it is mostly important to use high treasury when you don't have a big income from land but a big foreign income.
Getting anything that lessens inflation is a really high priority in any case, after that increase the treasury slider so you are making a small inflation (5% below average AI should be fairly good or something).

- If you own imperial provinces for which you don't have cores, your first priority is to get a magistrate to remove each of them from the empire. If you are an empire state yourself, you shouldn't be expanding in the empire. If you still get this horrible popup where basically either the emperor takes your province, either it becomes a ruin up until the end of the game, you can save and reload your game without answering to make the popup dissappear. But that's cheating.

Vassalize them (or conquer & release). Getting only a small tribute doesn't look great on paper, but having a 5 vassals is less trouble than having 1 conquered province (especially in the empire) and it starts adding up. Also, they can use the gold they don't pay you to improve their lands giving you actually full benefits when you take over for good.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 04:36:45 am »
Always keep your treasury at the certain point so inflation is 0.00 so you don't gain or lose (you can't lose since you start at 0).

I decided to give it a shot, to understand Paradox RTS somewhat.

I admit I didn't pay for it because I couldn't decide if I'd understand the game at all.

Here's my Hungarian Kingdom so far, 10 years into the game.

(click to show/hide)

I decided to gain a foothold in Italy, no matter the cost, I am aware of the infamy, but the situation was so tempting, I'm on a cool-down for now.

Any tips, or ideas? I was reading up about Hungary strategy for this game, but I want to expand, not entrench god damnit.
(Yeah, this happens when a Total War junkie picks up a Paradox title,  :lol:)

Hungary is a rather difficult nation since they have to deal with rebel successions, Golden Horde and Austria.

Some easy and fun nations would be

-England (So many routes you can go like colonizing or land expansion)
-Castille (Take Morocco and work into Africa or try taking over Italy while forming Spain)
-Ottomans (Expand east into Asia/India)
-Holland (I really enjoyed my Holland game, it was slow at first but I was the trading master racking in huge profits from being in every single trade centre. Once I got to North America I colonized the whole entire thing within 100-200 years and became the biggest power house in the game and fought all the other power houses.)

Novgorod is fun but more difficult, forming Russia is cool and spanning across and trying to reclaim the territory Russia holds today + more.

A tip if you're playing more difficult countries if lower your maintenance on naval/land to save money until you get into a war REMEMBER TO PUT IT BACK! or you'll lose fights 100% of the time.

I like to keep research going into 2-3 at once. Government always is one, land if I'm going to conquer, sea if Im'a colonize, trade if I wanna become a trading empire.

Make sure you read the policy sliders also so you get a understanding of them and what they do.

Also if you get bored of Vanilla you can check out the Death and Taxes mod, it changes up the game quite a bit. Last time I played I formed Japan.

Offline Abay

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Steam: badbreaking
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Abay
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 05:04:42 am »
Hello guyz, I still play this game(EU III) sometimes. I generally play with Ottomans with different focuses. Last time, I play it for blocking eastern attacks on eastern  persian borders and conquering europe and breaking the church. After a 20 years battle with spain, I got some lands in spanish lands. Now, they fear us. Also austria is almost down. They have only wien for maybe 10 years more. I have not much rivals but only france and great britain.

As you will see, I am at war with great britain, france and hindustan at same time. I have enough power to crush them. So, my borders will expand more in near future.

My next steps will be:
- Conquering eastern lands of spain
- Ending austria
- Conquering all arabia
- Having a coast in the north sea
- Conquering southern lands of france
- Getting all italian lands so I can make mediterranean like an Ottoman lake
- Conquering ireland for ending great britain as a first step

Note: I play the game in the hardest ways as I do as always for other games.
Advice: If you want to be the great, just have more lands.

(click to show/hide)

Send your maps please  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:32:12 am by Hurricane »
[17:48] <Vovka> thx chadz

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:30:28 pm »
Hello guyz, I still play this game(EU III) sometimes. I generally play with Ottomans with different focuses. Last time, I play it for blocking eastern attacks on eastern  persian borders and conquering europe and breaking the church. After a 20 years battle with spain, I got some lands in spanish lands. Now, they fear us. Also austria is almost down. They have only wien for maybe 10 years more. I have not much rivals but only france and great britain.

As you will see, I am at war with great britain, france and hindustan at same time. I have enough power to crush them. So, my borders will expand more in near future.

My next steps will be:
- Conquering eastern lands of spain
- Ending austria
- Conquering all arabia
- Having a coast in the north sea
- Conquering southern lands of france
- Getting all italian lands so I can make mediterranean like an Ottoman lake
- Conquering ireland for ending great britain as a first step

Note: I play the game in the hardest ways as I do as always for other games.
Advice: If you want to be the great, just have more lands.

(click to show/hide)

Send your maps please  :wink:

Nice green blob ! I'm not sure I have many screens to compare e-peens though.

You can just imagine morocco going from cape verde to the easternmost coast of china, and from south africa to the ural mountains. I was playing coop with someone that started as aragon though.

Offline Abay

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 08:58:40 pm »
Nice green blob ! I'm not sure I have many screens to compare e-peens though.

You can just imagine morocco going from cape verde to the easternmost coast of china, and from south africa to the ural mountains. I was playing coop with someone that started as aragon though.

Actually I didnt think to invade spain at first. morocco invaded there and got roussilion. with some like 200 years royal marriages, I took their lands free. then spain attacked for reconquest casus belli. u know the rest  :D

Ottomans are one of the best if u start for a grand campaign I think. Also I played with england, too. But I dont like dealing with america lands, so..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:17:24 pm by Hurricane »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 12:54:41 am »
This is my only screenshot of EU3.....I couldn't continue this file unfortunately because I re installed Windows 7 and forgot to back it up >.<

My borders are so pretty.

Offline Abay

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 01:21:12 am »

Playing with Russia is really hard cos of conditions of land shapes. States are big and walking from one to another takes really long time.

Also I see you have not much manpower at all. I remember a war between me(Ottomans) and Great Britain that takes 23 years. I spent 150k of my 200k manpower. I was almost losing if I couldnt conquer London. Because Great Britain couldnt be broken unless I took their capital city. Heh. Capital cities are the key of terms that you make the enemy accept  as I experienced  8-)

Note: Shame on Ottomans gave trebizond and mus to castille
Note2:
(click to show/hide)
Note3: I see you did well in money and prestige
Note4:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:25:36 am by Hurricane »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:20 am »
Note4:
(click to show/hide)

Very good question..........hmm......didn't even realize that till now.

I have no fucking idea.

Now I remember, I was under a Republic government so I had elections.

Offline Abay

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »
Now I remember, I was under a Republic government so I had elections.

ops, I have no idea about republic things :P I generally rule the country with absolute monarch. so, legitimecy is always a problem if it is under 70 for me. especially, morale of armies goes down badly if legitimecy is bad. then I use royal marriages for making legitimecy higher

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 04:13:26 pm »
+1
This is my only screenshot of EU3.....I couldn't continue this file unfortunately because I re installed Windows 7 and forgot to back it up >.<

I wonder what Peace Treaty the Golden Horde would try at this point,  :lol:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!