Author Topic: Full on horse collisions  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Re: Full on horse collisions
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 11:54:02 am »
+3
A horse should never take moredamage from hitting an obstacle, as a man (no matter how armored) taking damage from being hit by a horse.

This is probably the 100th time it has been suggested, please stop making these threads. It's not realistic and it wouldn't be fun for anyone involved, I can't even remember the last time I crashed into an obstacle but this is an awful suggestion.

Dear sir,
You are a moron.  Let me count the ways.

What hurts more:
A) A 200 pound man running into a 40 pound child
B) A 200 pound man running into a 50,000 pound brick wall

(click to show/hide)

Whether people should take more damage when being hit by horses is a separate debate unrelated to this thread and you should start your own thread for it.  Off the top of my head, I might support it.

The previous 99 times this was suggested, the devs didn't have a fancy script capable of doing this sort of thing.

It is, in fact, realistic, as I have described.  Or do you think horses normally take no damage from brick walls when running into them?

You not crashing into obstacles is an example of expert mode cavalry play, which is what I would like to separate from noob level play, which I see every 30 seconds in the game as someone crashes into a wall, a tree, a fence, another horse, a stump, a rock, etc.  Frankly there are some cav players out there who shouldn't be allowed on a horse and are only succeeding because the game is unrealistic Mario Kart style no-collision damage easy mode.

This concludes my discussion of why you are a moron.  If you feel I have reached this conclusion in error, please submit another reply and try again.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:55:14 am »
FYI: Maps in cRPG/Warband are littered with various invisible/microscopic obstacles, that rear horses.

Only the bad maps.  They also block arrows and throwing.

These maps should be identified and removed from rotation until they can be fixed.  It should have been done a long time ago.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:56:59 am »
It is often not the maps' fault, just bad hitboxes for various objects and bugs in the game itself or "features" such as horses stopping at ledges, rather than going over them and such.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 11:57:25 am »
Only the bad maps.  They also block arrows and throwing.

These maps should be identified and removed from rotation until they can be fixed.  It should have been done a long time ago.

Field by the river left

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 07:13:50 pm »
+1
I'm okay with the idea of horses taking damage when colliding with other horses or obstacles.  I also think that there should be instances where the rider is thrown from the horse.  Technically, we could go one step further and if a horse takes an arrow or hit, it has a chance to freak out, try to buck the rider, and/or be uncontrollable for a few seconds.  Also the idea of rearing the horse would be more "slowing down" than an immediate 40mph, now I'm stopped.

If we do that however, they should allow us to bind the horse "rearing" (slowing down) to another key.  They should also make it possible to dismount while moving (you take damage depending on how fast you go) and allow us to bind a key to dismount the horse. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »
+2
It isn't realistic because a horse would never fucking run into a wall and die, I'm sure if one ever did it would, but it would be highly unlikely unless it was blind.

If this gets added I would like that horses be able to stop of their own accord before actually colliding with anything, and be able to rebind Ctrl+J (actually I would like the ctrl+J thing anyways.)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »
+1
I want to point out that only civilian saddles can you be typically thrown, war saddles the rider was fit snuggly so being thrown or jostled out was a non-issue. There is a reason why they look so drastically different then say wild-west saddles (with those horrible loose stirrups) which Hollywood loves to throw people from.

(click to show/hide)

Basically what I'm saying is, while I can see a courser throwing someone, I can't see a charger doing the same.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:50:47 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »
It isn't realistic because a horse would never fucking run into a wall and die, I'm sure if one ever did it would, but it would be highly unlikely unless it was blind.

If this gets added I would like that horses be able to stop of their own accord before actually colliding with anything, and be able to rebind Ctrl+J (actually I would like the ctrl+J thing anyways.)

I agree with this for the most part. Although the horses would have blinders that would block some of their vision, they wouldn't just run straight into a wall/other large obstacle.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:43 pm »
+1
A fair suggestion, although I'm pretty biased as an archer.
It will probably improve the difficulty of riding, thus making the difference between a good and bad cavalry player bigger.

But what about infantry running into each other?
personally I think a high str guy with lots of armour should be able to knockdown a true peasant.
Now that would be fun to see :wink:

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 12:51:05 am »
I want to point out that only civilian saddles can you be typically thrown, war saddles the rider was fit snuggly so being thrown or jostled out was a non-issue. There is a reason why they look so drastically different then say wild-west saddles (with those horrible loose stirrups) which Hollywood loves to throw people from.

(click to show/hide)

Basically what I'm saying is, while I can see a courser throwing someone, I can't see a charger doing the same.
The warhorse is a good example:
(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:47 am »
Yeah I'm for it. I for one as a cav player hate pretty much all the cav that land on my team. Only a handful of people actually like to work as a team while the rest fly all over shop like douchbag powered nob rockets. Anything that would make people think twice and give you the "wave"* would be a good thing.

I would like the challenge.

One issue I do see is that I use a trick in which I turn in such a way as to cause the pleb chasing me to hit my horse and rear allowing my back up to clear up the mess. So it would need to be head on damage only, or very limited damage from the sides. That would give cavalry nobility such as myself the reward we so deserve, and punish the weak!

I would say however that it should come with a bump damage buff :twisted:

*Wave: When your surfing if another surfer gets on the break before you do you should politely get off the wave to avoid a possible collision.

-----

Now I must finish 50 shades of grey, ta ta.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Skrubb

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Get some
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 09:31:21 am »
I love the idea!.

However

Keep in mind that people complain about almost Everything!.(not to say that you are complaining at all)

What people willstart saying is that if realism in that aspect is added to the game, then realism would have to be added into everything else that isn't tip top REAL.

For example. Some dude wearing full plate can jump of a ledge from the same distance as a naked Jiggalo and not take damage.

Cav would then say to nerf infantry so that if a Plate Monster jumps a little ledge he should break his ankle and be Named Cripple George for the remainder of the battle.

One implementation causes many problems and I kinda like the little unrealistic things that sometimes make the game that much more fun.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37:20 am »
+1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x94w5m_fatal-horse-collision-in-kentucky_news

Bzzt.  You're wrong.  Horses: not really as smart as you seem to think they are.  Granted this was a horse vs horse collision but it just plowed straight in from behind so it might as well have been a wall.  Took me about 5 seconds on Google to find that.

Although really your argument boils down to the fact that there should be "horse AI".  I agree that in the name of realism, horses should have proper A.I. but I think my solution is a much more feasible compromise between "realistic A.I." and the "magical Mario bumper karts" we have today.

But really this isn't a realism debate so much as a factual statement that cavalry in this game is is too easy and forgiving because both "horse A.I." and physics are dumb.

Make horses smarter or make physics more realistic.  Pick one.

Failure to do either is why we're playing Mario Kart.
Norse Horde

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 09:50:52 am »
Slamz is right phantom is wrong.

Not to mention warhorses are trained pretty hard to ride at what you tell them to. If you and the horse go flying around a blind corner the horse has about as much chance as stopping before it slams into a fence as you would on a motor bike.

It would be cool if you could take into account the armour of the horse so it was possible to explode things like fences but I know it's not so I can live with it.

-----

While we are at it something we have needed for a long time is;

Couched lances breaking, and a better couched lance effect.

A couched lance isn't a pointy stick it a giant brick wall reduced down to pin head and then thrown through time and space to land on your chest and generally destroy existence as far as your concerned. It would be great if it did this.

I don't know if it's possible but it would be cool as shit if it could pick people up and rag doll them into the infantry behind them knocking who ever gets hit with the body to the ground as well.

And then! The lance is dead.

Also cut the poke damage down a bit, it really should be as good as it is.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Tengil

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Tengil
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 10:09:32 pm »
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!!!
Evil guy with a dragon and a horn to summon it with.