Author Topic: Full on horse collisions  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Full on horse collisions
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:13:17 am »
+42
Is this feasible?  Cavalry collision.

Currently, cavalry is like an X-Box racing game set to easy mode.  If you smash into a railing, you just come to a halt and then continue on your merry way.  "Mount & Blade: Nintendo Mario Kart Edition."  What makes "expert mode" racing games expert level is that collisions are serious business and one good high speed smash might be game over.

So what we should really be seeing in M&B is:

* Horse hits horse.  Horses take moderate damage, riders dumped for light damage.
* Horse hits obstacle.  Horse takes moderate to severe damage, rider takes moderate to severe damage.

Ideally the horses would actually spill and get back up but I don't think there is a "horse getting back up" animation so I'd settle for the horse rearing, taking damage and throwing the rider, who also takes damage.  The faster you were moving when you got reared, the more damage you take.

Let's take the noob out of cavalry and reward the experts by making collisions more realistic.  No more Mario Kart.

(The "rear horse" button should also be more like a fast brake than a sudden stop, too, or else it should also spill the rider for light damage.)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Full on horse collisions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:14:17 am »
+8
Optionally, we could leave it as-is and include things like turtle shells for riders to throw, including red seeking shells, as well as stars you can pick up to go invulnerable and banana peels for riders to throw under the hooves of other horses.

'Cause if we're gonna do Mario Kart, let's do it right.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:28:29 am »
+2
Sensible suggestion, and it would make cavalry have to be more careful where they're riding, thereby cutting down on team-bumps and blindly charging around corners. It would probably also help with cav gang-banging one lone guy on foot (since they almost always seem to just crash into each other).

Admittedly it is a cav nerf, but imo they need one anyway and this is as sensible a nerf as you're ever going to see.

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:03 am »
+2
I play cavalry with a +3 Courser and I approve this message.
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:12:51 am »
+5
+1 for the mario kart changes!

Blue shells for the blueman!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline clown1231

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • It's all about having fun.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca (TKoV)
  • Game nicks: BardicPaladin
  • IRC nick: clown1231
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:18:47 am »
Agreed, +1 and whatnot.

I'd also like to see a chance of dehorsing if the horse is reared, with the chance dependant on riding skill and speed before rear, but this is fine.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:03 am »
Maybe even knock-offs if the rider is hit, but survives?
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:31:00 am »
+1
+1 for the mario kart changes!

Blue shells for the blueman!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Angellore

• Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:11 am »
So in other words, if I will have a choice to ride into the wall or through my teammates, I will be forced to hurt my teammates not to kill/hurt my horse?
You can't even imagine how often i'm forced to ride into wall and other things like that, just because teammates don't pay attention/don't care and don't give me space to ride near them.
Then you will cry cav is bumping you all the time even without enemies around. I know many people don't care about teammates already. But I do, and I'm always trying to avoid teammates. With this change, I would have to learn to not care about teammates anymore, which will be just annoying for both. I feel bad by hitting teammate, but I would feel even worse by losing my horse in stupid way. Pretty obvious choice.

This change wouldn't affect that much maneuver horses, like Arabian Warhorse (it can avoid most obvious obstacles pretty easily, thanks to it's maneuver and stopping abilities). Like that horse wasn't the most used already, you want to make it even stronger.

Also, this change will encourage wall camping even more. Like it wasn't hard enough already to kill someone in corner/near wall/on stairs etc. If I make mistake, and stop my horse on the wall near enemy, it's high chance I will lose my horse or I will be killed by ranged (I'm standing target for them, easy shot), so it's already risky thing to try killing enemies near walls. I think it's good enough as it is, since you can sidewalk/jump to side like crazy monkey and avoid charging horse pretty easily (if you see him comming of course). Charging wall on purpose and trying to kill good player standing near it will end horseman's life really quickly.

I don't do that, I don't charge wall straight in, but I sometimes hit the wall trying to avoid teammates or when I misjudge speed/maneuver of horse and hit the wall on light angle (horse then stops immediatelly, no matter how low the angle was). Sometimes horse stops on strange obstacles like little rocks/baskets/other little obstacles just lying on the ground/invisible walls. Most of the time enemy can hit me/my horse few times (1-2-3) before I can ride away, if I get hit from Arbalest in chest or any bow in head I would be dead, isn't that enough punishment?

So maybe this idea has some sense in terms of realism (yeah, hitting the wall would be painful, but I think horse would stop itself before hitting the wall anyway). From gameplay point of view, I don't really see anything good this change will bring.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:05:42 am »
+6
So in other words, if I will have a choice to ride into the wall or through my teammates, I will be forced to hurt my teammates not to kill/hurt my horse?

How about we also make the horse take damage when you ride over your teammates? I guess then you'll have to teach your horse to fly, because there's surely no other way at all other than riding over your teammates or into a wall.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:22:10 am by Vibrator »

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:44:04 am »
A horse should never take moredamage from hitting an obstacle, as a man (no matter how armored) taking damage from being hit by a horse.

This is probably the 100th time it has been suggested, please stop making these threads. It's not realistic and it wouldn't be fun for anyone involved, I can't even remember the last time I crashed into an obstacle but this is an awful suggestion.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45:40 am »
+4

Yes.

Because if you have reached a point in your cavalry career where your only choice is "run over teammates" or "smash into a wall", you have done something terribly wrong and should be punished for a cavalry mistake that would see you demoted back into infantry IRL anyway.

The main purpose, in my eye, is to put some extra challenge into playing as cavalry.  Currently the main thing keeping everyone from playing cavalry isn't that it's hard -- it's that it's expensive.

I would, incidentally, support lowering the maintenance cost of cavalry if this was implemented.  Once cavalry becomes "hard mode", it will be its own deterrent and we don't need horses to cost 3000+ gold in maintenance as the only way to stop everyone from wanting to use one.
Norse Horde

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:50:25 am »
+1
You can't even imagine how often i'm forced to ride into wall and other things like that, just because teammates don't pay attention/don't care and don't give me space to ride near them.
Then you will cry cav is bumping you all the time even without enemies around. I know many people don't care about teammates already. But I do, and I'm always trying to avoid teammates. With this change, I would have to learn to not care about teammates anymore, which will be just annoying for both. I feel bad by hitting teammate, but I would feel even worse by losing my horse in stupid way. Pretty obvious choice.

This change wouldn't affect that much maneuver horses, like Arabian Warhorse (it can avoid most obvious obstacles pretty easily, thanks to it's maneuver and stopping abilities). Like that horse wasn't the most used already, you want to make it even stronger.

Also, this change will encourage wall camping even more. Like it wasn't hard enough already to kill someone in corner/near wall/on stairs etc. If I make mistake, and stop my horse on the wall near enemy, it's high chance I will lose my horse or I will be killed by ranged (I'm standing target for them, easy shot), so it's already risky thing to try killing enemies near walls. I think it's good enough as it is, since you can sidewalk/jump to side like crazy monkey and avoid charging horse pretty easily (if you see him comming of course). Charging wall on purpose and trying to kill good player standing near it will end horseman's life really quickly.

I don't do that, I don't charge wall straight in, but I sometimes hit the wall trying to avoid teammates or when I misjudge speed/maneuver of horse and hit the wall on light angle (horse then stops immediatelly, no matter how low the angle was). Sometimes horse stops on strange obstacles like little rocks/baskets/other little obstacles just lying on the ground/invisible walls. Most of the time enemy can hit me/my horse few times (1-2-3) before I can ride away, if I get hit from Arbalest in chest or any bow in head I would be dead, isn't that enough punishment?

So maybe this idea has some sense in terms of realism (yeah, hitting the wall would be painful, but I think horse would stop itself before hitting the wall anyway). From gameplay point of view, I don't really see anything good this change will bring.

Strg+J is the solution my friend, any skilled cav can avoid hitting walls and stuff with ease so it wouldn`t nerf the ones who play carefully. Horses do damage on players but dont get damage from walls and stuff? Quite strange to my mind. Hope this will be implemented in a well adjusted way, would make gameplay better imo.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:51:02 am »
A horse should never take moredamage from hitting an obstacle, as a man (no matter how armored) taking damage from being hit by a horse.

This is probably the 100th time it has been suggested, please stop making these threads. It's not realistic and it wouldn't be fun for anyone involved, I can't even remember the last time I crashed into an obstacle but this is an awful suggestion.
Do you know how often I see cav riding full speed and couching into some inf standing with his back to a wall, taking cover?

And you wanna tell me it's completely realistic that a horse would take no "damage" while doing that? GTFO
Obstacle damage to horses is a nice idea. We're not talking about 80% hp loss on impact but some damage.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 11:53:01 am »
+4
FYI: Maps in cRPG/Warband are littered with various invisible/microscopic obstacles, that rear horses.