Poll

Remove random yell and add it as a command?

Yes
11 (39.3%)
No
1 (3.6%)
REEEEEEEAAAAAAAGGGHHHH!
16 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Make 'Yell' An Optional Audio Command  (Read 1104 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Make 'Yell' An Optional Audio Command
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:16 am »
Tell me if this sounds familiar:   You just flanked the enemy team and are 15 yards from some deliciously squishy and unaware archer absentmindedly notching another arrow.  You raise your sword in advance and move forward.  Victory is assured.

Suddenly...

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

Apparently your character's manliness cannot be contained as your vocal chords explode with your battle cry.  The archer hears the warning, and either turns around to fight or books it.

Now, I know that an easy solution is to avoid holding the swing back and instead waiting until much closer to chamber and swing, but I think the facts that this effect is random and that it DOES have gameplay implications are reasons enough to remove the randomness and replace it with an optional audio command just like you can yell 'ATTACK' and whistle now.  Hell, I heard there are other taunt-type audio files available, let's add some more in-game flavor!  It just seems like something that can stay in the game, but making it player controlled also makes it more fun to use if your about to crash into the enemy's front lines or are about to duel a known foe.  I personally find it lame when my player just randomly yells when I'm just walking around or chambering for fun.

So what say you gentlemen? Fine as is or worth changing?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:14:07 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
Re: Make 'Yell' An Optional Audio Command
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:49:45 am »
I lol'd.

I'm in agreement with MrShine.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:30:50 am »
+1

I would always REEEEEEEAAAAAAAGGGHHHH! while flanking

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • ..even the wise can not see all ends..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:14 am »
+1

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:47 am »
But, if you don't hold the swing chambered, no shouts are gonna happen. Just wait until the last moment to swing.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:01:01 pm »
The yell is actually an audio prompt telling you that if you release your swing you will gain a small damage bonus, not many people know that. Here is some proof;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk9WjVZvm5E
It would be nice if you could press a button to toggle off the shouting (and damage bonus attacks) so you can sneak up on someone without your manliness alerting them to your presence.

EDIT: if you hold your attack for around a second and time it perfectly you can force the shout for free damamge bonuses, also your character could do it at any time while holding an attack too.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:03:21 pm by Peasant_Woman »
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:49:02 pm »
The yell is actually an audio prompt telling you that if you release your swing you will gain a small damage bonus, not many people know that. Here is some proof;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk9WjVZvm5E
It would be nice if you could press a button to toggle off the shouting (and damage bonus attacks) so you can sneak up on someone without your manliness alerting them to your presence.

EDIT: if you hold your attack for around a second and time it perfectly you can force the shout for free damamge bonuses, also your character could do it at any time while holding an attack too.

Watching that video I think the yell is a little different than the one I'm talking about.  That yell is more of a 'grunting' that your character makes after his swing is in motion from a held attack.  The one where you chamber your attack and your character will randomly shout a louder war cry is the one I think needs to be made player controlled.

@ Corwinus I understand that it probably isn't wise to have your swing chambered for a long period of time when sneaking up on people, but you do want to have a 'held' attack like Peasant_Woman demonstrated to have a full damaging swing, and the fact your character can randomly yell against your wishes foiling your sneaky plans doesn't do anything to benefit the game and only annoys.  When I play crpg I want to feel like I'm in full control of my character, not that he has a mind of his own.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »
Lololol, nice description. I recognize this. That yell is so loud! And even if this random yell wasnt annoying, it would be awesome to have controlled warcries. Although I have no idea where my voice command key is now cause I placed sheath on q, cause for some reason I cant sheath a katana with scrolling.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:10:38 pm »
It would become the new ATAAAAACK, everyone would spam it all the time lol. Would be funny as hell.

Anyway i have the sound mod on and i spam atack chambers just to hear my char go in to a rage.  :mrgreen:

+1 to this,  RAAAAAARRGHHHHH
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:34:18 pm »
Is there any way to add more dynamic sound to the game? Because right now you can either hear things clearly or not at all, there are no in-between volume levels concerning distances. Well there are some, but they're very erratic.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.