Author Topic: Why do picks do so much damage?  (Read 3231 times)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Why do picks do so much damage?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 01:21:51 pm »
i think it's weird that the pick does more damage than an english bill, especially considering that the bill is a 2d weapon

They make equal or more damage than almost all of the polearms, which is kinda... well... strange as you should have much more force with a spear than such a small tool.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:26:15 pm »
pick size is 64 and polearms 150+, see difference?  the thing i hate most in steel pick is - some strange misses because of size and ping, when you see how pick just comes thru enemy and made 0 dmg, this piss me off sometimes.
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »
+5
Buff the 1h stab to make it more balanced.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 04:49:24 pm »
I'm not really sure about the whole 1h situation to be honest after this thread, I made the post just to ask what people thought about the pick, but now people are talking about buffing stabs.

To be honest since the spin nerf I think 1h got hit the worst, it is bloody tough to land overhead now especially. I find that I don't even do overhead swings that often just because its too damn hard to land with any real consistency.

The 1h stab animation also isn't really the greatest, and the leftswing is fast yes, but to land a headshot you need to raise it up a bit which makes chambering non existent.

Not too sure how I feel about 1h anymore.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 05:53:03 pm »
I'm not really sure about the whole 1h situation to be honest after this thread, I made the post just to ask what people thought about the pick, but now people are talking about buffing stabs.

You included comparisons to other 1h weapons in your post. Why they are "damn effective compared to all other weapons," then put in comparisons to the blunt weapons and the cut+stabweapons.

Basically, the knockdown helps make up for the slight differences in damage/speed. Blunt pretty much = pierce, but the blunt weapons have slightly worse stats in general. Even so, many of the blunt weapons are still pretty fast, and they're heavy so they don't get stunned. In comparison to the blunt/pierce weapons, the other 1hs are still a bit weak, so a little more discussion about what to change for them was included.

Right now, steel pick is still favorable compared to the other 1hs even against cloth. The high tier cut 1hs should have more favorable base damage to be more effective than the pick against low armor.

I would not mind a buff on many of the cut weapons, +2 cut and +1/+2 pierce on the stab depending on the weapon. I feel that high tier fully loomed 1h should reach non-loomed longsword or katana levels. The blunt weapons should be made more similar to their pierce counterparts, too, although they are some of the best knockdown weapons.

Overhead takes a lot more practice nowadays, and isn't very reliable in a 1v1 against an agi build.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 06:24:35 pm »
+1
I don't think picks are that OP. The super short range is tough to use on picks. The only guy on NA who really owns with it is San, and his footwork & feinting  is so good he'd own with any weapon anyways. They do shine in a situation that's jam packed though, like a strategus siege with a heavy fight on the walls, but a lot of short weapons do. In siege server when things get really compressed like that, I actually switch from my 73 range axe to my 55 range heavy throwing axe, even right swings don't glance much at that range.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 06:37:45 pm »
Konrax i think you should play first with pick and 1h blunt weapons before you post topics like this.
I would realy like to see you with pick figthing 2h,pole users,1h with long wepons. 60-70 range is so short that anyone can outspam you,any average 2h can kick you and kill you any time. your problem is bad footwork and getting too close to enemy instead keeping him on distance.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »
60-70 range is so short that anyone can outspam you,any average 2h can kick you and kill you any time.
Bad footwork let's 'em kick you...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 09:26:21 pm »
Konrax i think you should play first with pick and 1h blunt weapons before you post topics like this.
I would realy like to see you with pick figthing 2h,pole users,1h with long wepons. 60-70 range is so short that anyone can outspam you,any average 2h can kick you and kill you any time. your problem is bad footwork and getting too close to enemy instead keeping him on distance.

He uses the Iberian mace pretty dang well.. I don't think he's really complaining too much except for the overhead part, which is pretty reasonable.

Pick's weaknesses are that you can strafe to the left against them and render them pretty ineffective as well as the heavy reliance on the slow right swing. It should have a few more, which I believe is more of a weakness against light armor than cut counterparts as I stated earlier in the topic. Nerfing the stats would just make everyone move to the warhammer or iberian mace anyways.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 09:32:53 pm »
+1
Steel pick is very difficult to use unless you have like 8 Athletics. I did a gen with it and 6 Ath, and spent most of my time whiffing and/or getting kicked.

Blunt is also slightly better than Pierce on medium armor; you can verify this on the Damage Calculator http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm. For instance, 33pierce (+3 Military Pick) does the same damage to 50 armor as 31 blunt (warhammer or +3 Military hammer). A +3 Warhammer actually outdamages a +3 Steel Pick on 50 armor also.

With only 6 athletics, I much prefer my +3 Military Hammer to a steel pick. Reach feels almost like a sword, but it hits like a 2h sword on medium+ armor. And knockdown is worth a couple free kills every map. 94 speed is still pretty fast in the scheme of things, I just don't risk slow right swings against spammitars etc.

EDIT: Oh, and steel pick does about the same damage to medium armor as a Danish Greatsword, which has 2-3 times the reach (depending on attack direction). A retarded llama can pick up a Danish and stay near the top of the scoreboard, but it takes a pretty skilled player to be effective with the steel pick.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:46:49 pm by Phew »

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 04:05:57 am »
He uses the Iberian mace pretty dang well.. I don't think he's really complaining too much except for the overhead part, which is pretty reasonable.

Pick's weaknesses are that you can strafe to the left against them and render them pretty ineffective as well as the heavy reliance on the slow right swing. It should have a few more, which I believe is more of a weakness against light armor than cut counterparts as I stated earlier in the topic. Nerfing the stats would just make everyone move to the warhammer or iberian mace anyways.

I also did about 4 gens with a mighty warhammer, so I am not a nub to short 1h weapons. =)

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »
I don't like to use the warhammer because I do the stab by accident

If they took the thrust off the warhammer I would have never traded for the elite scimi.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 12:01:21 am »
Doesn't pierce have an x3 damage multiplier for head hits? Or is that a rumour.

Might be the reason for the difference.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 12:58:28 am »
Doesn't pierce have an x3 damage multiplier for head hits? Or is that a rumour.

Might be the reason for the difference.

It's a rumor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 01:37:22 am »
It's a rumor.

I thought the x3 was for pierce ranged weapons, but I might've been mistaken. As for melee weapons, there's definitely not a x3 multiplicator for headhits.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.