Author Topic: Banner/Standard "Weapon"  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
Banner/Standard "Weapon"
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:18:49 pm »
+3
This thread gave me the idea that perhaps we should in fact have carry-able banners/standards (see spoilered image). I did a search and only found one other very old suggestion like it, so here it is a-fresh. I don't have a model, of course, but I don't think a stick with a bit of cloth on it would be hard to make for someone.

(click to show/hide)

These could go in the shield/off-hand slot and be like a secondary item, giving some kind of effect to those within a certain radius (much like having two shielders next to each other creates a +1 shield effect). My thoughts would be perhaps a (vague figure)10% increase to hit points, or armour rating (to represent morale) while the standard is nearby, which could potentially keep people from dying near the standard (mind over matter-esque).

This would also give cav another role aside from the hated backstabbers and moving archer platforms that they currently are, since they could carry the standard to an area of the battle where your team is doing poorly, in an attempt to give them the edge in that area (much like the use of a general unit in the Total War series).

Alternatively, they could just be a new polearm weapon rather than a shield-type equip-able. But having them as a shield-slot item would begin a movement towards having more non-combat specific (utility) items.

Another thought would be that you could have these as deployable items which you could put at the center of your defence (Strategus/siege thinking), or on top of your hill (in battle).

Of course there would have to be a limit to how many of these banners would be effective in one area (much like I believe you can only get +7 from shielders next to each other?) - easy fix.

Added bonus: It would also show off this new banner system that seems so popular.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:40:05 am by Ptolemy »

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Banner/Standard "Weapon"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47:08 pm »
I like the idea of a carry-able banner, but not so sure about it having powers/abilities
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:25:24 pm by Ujio »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:52:50 pm »
+1
Models?

And to my mind all this stuff with like magical effect doesn`t belong in a game like this.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »
imo, it may have athletics aura, which will equal all people's athletics to the same level (something between 6-8) in its radius. this will be useful to create marching formations like columns etc.

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:24:30 pm »
imo, it may have athletics aura, which will equal all people's athletics to the same level (something between 6-8) in its radius. this will be useful to create marching formations like columns etc.

Would be a massive buff for high str characters (i.e characters with ~40/3) and it having that kind of effect can't really be justified in any logical manner. Where as a buff to longevity has at least a slight reasonableness to it.

Perhaps a percentage boost to WPF in vicinity to the standard would be better? (To simulate fighting harder, nearer to your flag)

Models?

And to my mind all this stuff with like magical effect doesn`t belong in a game like this.

Like I said I don't have models, however, I could make them if it'd be worth me doing so. As for magical, it's not really magical, it's more morale based. I mean, how else do you justify getting +1 shield skill from nearby shielders if not by magic? Since that mechanic is already in the game, I don't see why this proposed one should be different.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:26:01 pm »
Like I said I don't have models, however, I could make them if it'd be worth me doing so. As for magical, it's not really magical, it's more morale based. I mean, how else do you justify getting +1 shield skill from nearby shielders if not by magic? Since that mechanic is already in the game, I don't see why this proposed one should be different.

Thats correct, just would love if all that stuff weren`t in this game.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Sir_Senior_the_Eldest

• Count
  • Renown: 178
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Sir_Senior_the_Eldest, Son_Sonsonsonson
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 03:31:57 am »
I would love to carry a banner even if it would not have any in game effect and is just held like a pike. Wouldn't it be epic to carry the Oriflamme into battle? I think even without scripted ingame effects you would gain a real moral benefit and also some kind of order. If a experienced guy takes the banner and just writes "Follow the flag" I think a lot of noobs or other people who just don't know where to attack now would follow him into a charge.

Nevertheless I like the idea of several non combat items (horns for the nords, flutes and drums for the europeans or saracens) to become musician for example just like in mount and musket. I think this would create a really cool atmosphere.
Imagine some last men standing at the flag and one of them is blowing the horn like boromir to get some help.   Of course their number should be limited somehow.
I have a dream that one day this mod will rise up, and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all classes are created equal.’

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:37:33 am »

I must say I agree.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:49 am »
Overall I agree that bonuses don't belong in a game like this - but isn't there already that +shield skill thing that people get when close to other shielders?

Visually it could help for teamwork purposes, and could function like a low range polearm (like one of the staffs) but slower since its got flags and crap all over it making drag when you swing it.

In keeping in line with that +shielding skill effect I think this could have like a very very very minor plus to something...maybe like 2-4 HP (to symbolize morale) (could not stack)

Probably not something that would be implemented though.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:51:31 am »
Overall I agree that bonuses don't belong in a game like this - but isn't there already that +shield skill thing that people get when close to other shielders?

Overlapping shields gave a very real tactical advantage. Think of the phalanx and the Roman testudo formation.
It's not necessarily as magical as a boost to stats from a piece of cloth.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 04:50:14 am »
yeah i got ya - but isnt there a mechanic in the game that gives + shield skill for being around other shielders or something? 

thats an honest question  :) - ive heard about it but not sure if its there or not 100%
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 04:58:27 am »
isnt there a mechanic in the game that gives + shield skill for being around other shielders or something? 

Yes, there is.

But you only get it in tight formations, and only when you are stationary. If you move an inch, you no longer give or get a bonus.

It's not a morale boost to nearby shielders at all times.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:05:21 am by Contra »

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 06:03:12 am »