Author Topic: Bad communication between community and devs -> community manager needed!  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Hi!

In some of the last topics in this forum I noticed some kind of "gap" between the players and the devs, and often some of them felt misunderstood or treated the wrong way by the others.

Simultaneously, the suggestion forum in its current shape always seemed kind of chaotic and of only limited use.

Now my idea is easy: the devs appoint one (or more) community managers. Those members have task of mediating between the devs and the community. Besides of that, they are "moderating" the suggestion area.

Their tasks are:

- releasing news and information about development progress
- writing official statements and answers to current affairs
- asking "viable" community questions to the developers and posting their answers

The suggestion forum will be newly formed. The old forum will be moved into an archive forum, so that for some time older posts can still be referred to. The new suggestion forum will be divided only in "General suggestions" and "Game Balance". The "Realism" forum is rather pointless, because gameplay and balance are always more important than realism. Yes, in some cases you can make decisions in favour of realism, but those cases are that rare, they don't really justify an own subforum.

In the two remaining forums there will be a sticky topic with a list of all created topics, sorted by idea and the dev's response. In the general suggestion topic it could look like:

Archery - Repeating crossbow [Declined]
Archery - Increase bump range against archers [Accepted, WIP]
Horses - Implement heraldic bard [Impossible]
Horses - Taking damage when hitting solid obstacles [Impossible]
Horses - Picking up a second rider [Declined, Impossible]
Shields - Shieldbash [Discussed]

That way you could press ctrl+F and could search for the suggestion you hve, instead of creating yet another topic about always the same ideas.

The task of the community managers would be to first sort out the totally unrealistic, dumb, retarded and biased suggestions (they get rough instructions from the developers), and have to edit the title of the topic, according to the current state. In regular intervals the CMs brief the developers about certain suggestions, and those give their answers. These answers are forwarded to the topics, and the title is being modified accordingly. If something is techincally impossible or has been declined, the topic gets closed. If the developers are not sure, the topic gets a "discussed" flag, and the developers can follow or even participate the topic, to meet a finaly decision. Accepted suggestions are closed, too. Whenever a suggestion is added or the status of a suggestion changes, the overview topic gets updated, too. (You need a seperate topic with a summary post, because there you can search by ctrl+F, which you can't do in the forum itself, because the amount of topics displayed on one page is limited. You would have to search every forum side an extra time)

That keeps the suggestions rather neat and the developers lose only the minimum time possible to give feedback to suggestions, whereas the community gets constant replies to their suggestions, instead of complaining for weeks that a commonly accepted suggestion is completely ignored by the developers, just to see it implemented in the next patch (as it already happened several times).

But to have this whole CM thing working the developers first need to state a few things, e.g. what kind of game they are planning to make, what's more important to them and so on. How much should personal skill and how much should teamplay have an impact on success? How important is realism? Questions like these.

What do you think? Would the community like to have a few people standing in constant contact to the developers, keeping you always informed? Would the developers like someone to filter all those thread sin the forum only for the important stuff, saving them a lot of time which can be spent developing?

I think the community could benefit a lot from it, given that the CMs are really eager to keep up a stream of information by constantly asking the developers (forwarded) questions, and if the developers would be willing to let the CMs have quite a good insight into the development process.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:12:25 am by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Hey, look, a Joker post.

Obligatory TL;DR.

You're welcome, everyone.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
fill dev's life with boring bureaucracy and useless hierarchy?

fuck yeah I'm in!

Offline Aderyn

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 243
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Aderyn
Isn't chairman meow already kind of the "community manager"? He cares alot about the community (i think). =)
Can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
Isn't chairman meow already kind of the "community manager"?He cares alot about the community (i think). =)

I thought this was what Meow was suppose to do yet I don't see him anywhere but IRC which isn't very helpful.

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_

fuck yeah I'm in!
i think you got that wrong :lol:

(click to show/hide)
i always read your texts as i am not afraid of wise words.

yeah.
i think communication with the community is a hard thing to do if the devs have no clue. or in other words: our beloved devs should get their time to work things out, they should be sure what they want - only then we all can re-start to contribute as the hive mind we are.
the clear thinking process is more important than the data input - a computer can't compute if the script is a mess.

oh, i am NOT saying you don't know what you want, but basically we should know it too. less confusion = profit.
and IF you really don't know it, hey, find someone who will ask us! or in other words: you need a compiler! (geek talk pun intended)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:04:54 am by Kajia »

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Make Joker86 community manager

(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
there isnt a worthwhile community to bother with, hah

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile

fuck yeah I'm in!

~*~ real game devs~*~ have community managers for a reason, it reduces rage/shitposting - and since that some of the devs are given to the same kind of posting as the community the position wouldn't be useless at all, imo. since you're not selling anything it wouldn't be as much of a boon, but you guys keep working on the mod so i'm assuming you are at least somewhat invested in its success, so why not? i also assumed this was meows role (or shiks?) but neither of them do it so
FREE ALLERS

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
+4
I think this will help you greatly.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/8-steps-to-more-concise-writing/

Thanks a lot!

I got a similar site for you:

http://higherpayingskills.com/2011/12/improve-concentration-attention-span/

Seriously, folks, if you are not able to read any text which is longer than three sentences, I would really recommend you to limit your participation onto the spam forum, because some matters can not be discussed with one liners. I don't fucking care if you didn't read or not.

Make Joker86 community manager

(click to show/hide)

I never said I wanna do the job, and I definitely don't want to. But I still find it amusing how I made you somehow hate me so much, that whenever I post you never miss the occasion to write something negative about my person. Seems I hit a nerve?  :?

fuck yeah I'm in!

Errr... you got something wrong, there...  :?  :?:

Ah I think I got it! The appointed CMs are not developers, they are supposed to be capable community members.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:51:43 am by Joker86 »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
+1
If such a role would exist because of some kinda accident in the future, count me in.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
If such a role would exist because of some kinda accident in the future, count me in.

Actually you were one of the persons I was thinking of  :wink:

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
+1
Actually you were one of the persons I was thinking of  :wink:
(click to show/hide)

:oops:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
+1
You stole my critic about the staff communication and made a suggestion out of it! Shame on... Wait... I actually had the same thought but couldn't bother enough to make a thread which will get trolled and/or ignored anyway - already nicely displayed by chadz's response.

Still... took the liberty to +1 the first post.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.