Poll

Do you agree with this suggestion?

Yes
16 (39%)
No
25 (61%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Crossbow and Ranged Balance WITHOUT a Damage Nerf  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Crossbow and Ranged Balance WITHOUT a Damage Nerf
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »
The crossbow is too useful with no wpf spent in it.  Being a 1 slot weapon this is very attractive to any melee character who has money and is frustrated with "all the ranged out there".  They equip the crossbow on top of their 2 slot polearm/greatsword with 1 stack of bolts and they too can be ranged.  The problem is that if you pretend the crossbow is accurate, more often then not, the bolt does fly in the middle of the huge crosshairs, hitting its target.

Well you stated the problem here. I've heard this statement before. Seems to me the "fix" isn't a buff/nerf in some other area. If the Dev's could figure out why the xbow tends to shoot in the center even with a 4 inch CoF, that should be adjusted. These should be like avg numbers for it to shoot in the center.

1 wpf - 1% in the center
50 wpf - 25% in the center
100 wpf - 50% in the center
125 wpf - 70% in the center
150 wpf - 80% in the center
170 wpf - 90% in the center
190 wpf - 98% in the center
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »
Well you stated the problem here. I've heard this statement before. Seems to me the "fix" isn't a buff/nerf in some other area. If the Dev's could figure out why the xbow tends to shoot in the center even with a 4 inch CoF, that should be adjusted. These should be like avg numbers for it to shoot in the center.

1 wpf - 1% in the center
50 wpf - 25% in the center
100 wpf - 50% in the center
125 wpf - 70% in the center
150 wpf - 80% in the center
170 wpf - 90% in the center
190 wpf - 98% in the center

Agreed.  I also don't think a buff or nerf is necessary.  Just fix the problem.  WPF seemed to matter to me with the crossbow, but didn't make a HUGE difference.  I think they should try to make it more WPF dependent like archery is.

Also they should require power draw or some similar skill for crossbows, and I think that would also help even the playing field a little more.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 10:39:59 am »
I'd like to continue using my Tatar bow with two stacks of arrows and a mace.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 11:34:32 pm »
I can't agree. Making all bows\xbows 2 slot would remove the option to use a shield and a decent weapon - 2 less builds. And this would also make archers rely more on 0 slot weapons, meaning more kiters, and I think we want archers to be more melee capable(something the devs don't seem to understand).

The best solution to ballance these classes and their different builds would be for the game to allow only 1 stack of arrows per person, somehow, slightly increasing the number of arrows. Every archer would be able to carry a decent weapon then and all would be mindful of their shots.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 10:57:50 am »
Make all ranged weapons 2 slot? Archery and Xbow? No. What would be the sense of it? To have less hybrids? Make all 1h weapons and shields 2 slot so a Shielder cannot go throwing. Make all throwing weapons 2 slots because they have multiple weapons (ammo).
Dont like the idea? Me neither because its bullshit.
This just another "nerf everything" QQ thread. Instead of always nerfing until we all have to play peasants with cudgels (which is great) try to enhance something else to give different options to counter ranged.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 11:40:43 am »
+1
Crossbow as a ranged class is not OP.

If greatswords + regular crossbow is the problem, then make greatswords take 3 slots. So people who want the best melee weapons can't use ranged weapons (except only one slot worth of throwing junk at most).

I rather like this idea. The really upper tier polearms and 2Hers should be 3 slot. Especially for weapons like the glaive and greatswords, they're already beastly killing machines by themselves, and on top of that they have 2 free slots? I call OP. This would also give more purpose to the mid-tier weapons, which currently kind of sit in limbo.

Something else that I think would help the issue would be to increase the slot count of all ranged weapons, BUT make the amount of ammunition they get be based on the weapon and type of quiver equipped, not the number of quivers they equip. Then, make all quivers be 0 slot, allow only 1 equipped quiver, and have that decide the type of ammunition, rather than being an actual object itself. This would promote ranged characters to carry a decent (1 slot at least) melee weapon, which could reduce the number of running archers. (Or at least not give them any excuse to run when clearly outmatched)