Author Topic: Balance by class  (Read 2426 times)

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
Balance by class
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
To devs

Why dont you implement balance by class, cav, infantry, ranged. As simple as that.

No, this does not go in suuggestion corner ! , this is not a sugesttion, this is a question of general interest that belongs to general discussion !

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:39:56 pm by gazda »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Re: Balance by class
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:39:26 pm »
+4
Someone please grab gazda by the hair and dive his head in a barrel of water, he's drunk again and needs to sober up.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:41:04 pm »
+3
  • Because people would complain that they are being balanced despite not bringing a horse (Coding based on gear would makes things even more of a mess and I don't think is feasable).
  • The balance code is hard to look at and people might be tired of messing with it.
  • ?
  • Because everything is a high priority to someone and if this is done then there are the people who will complain that something else was of higher priority and should have been fixed
  • It makes for amusing stories.
  • People have conflicting ideas on how exactly it should be done.
  • Because people know you want it.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:50:46 pm »
  • Because people would complain that they are being balanced despite not bringing a horse (Coding based on gear would makes things even more of a mess and I don't think is feasable).
  • The balance code is hard to look at and people might be tired of messing with it.
  • ?
  • Because everything is a high priority to someone and if this is done then there are the people who will complain that something else was of higher priority and should have been fixed
  • It makes for amusing stories.
  • People have conflicting ideas on how exactly it should be done.
  • Because people know you want it.

-what would they complain about, you have horse you are cav, you have bow you are ranged, is that so complicated? You think its not feasable? , i wanna know what devs think, offical opinion. if they dont like it, then say it, "Shut the fuck up, i think its terrible idea and i will never implement it", instead of just keeping silent 

-oh please, cmp is more then capable of doing it

-?

-yeah, strategus was high priority, and you see how it turned out? , bringing adults into 7 year old level arguments about villages and how they abused this and that

-??

-again with the people, people dont matter, what devs think, thats what metters

-??

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:54:49 pm »
oh please, cmp is more then capable of doing it
But is he willing, is another matter.
again with the people, people dont matter, what devs think, thats what metters
I can't help but point out the irony of this post, due to the OP being you (the people) asking the devs to do something.

Regardless, I do agree that Class Balance would be wonderful if it was implemented.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:57:39 pm »
+1
Don't know if i told you this already ToD but.....while i would like to shag Tavuk Bey's avatar yours I'd just love to slap so hard that my hand hurts for a week.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:59:51 pm »
+1
Don't know if i told you this already ToD but.....while i would like to shag Tavuk Bey's avatar yours I'd just love to slap so hard that my hand hurts for a week.

new sig quote  :lol:
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:12:35 am »
+1
But is he willing, is another matter.I can't help but point out the irony of this post, due to the OP being you (the people) asking the devs to do something.

Regardless, I do agree that Class Balance would be wonderful if it was implemented.

there is a difference between asking for ones opinion and changing it

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »
+2
yours I'd just love to slap so hard that my hand hurts for a week.

this

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 01:29:56 pm »

That one I belive immediately. It must really hurt the eyes. I hope the developers wear sunglasses when they start reworking it.

Implement (hidden) player classes.

According to his skills and equipment, players get classified (right word? Or did I say they were made secret?) on the character page.

1. Check riding skill. Higher as 2? Rider. If not: Footman.
2. If rider: check horse archer skill. If higher than 0: horse archer. If not: cavalry.
3. If horse archer: check highest ranged WPF. Depending on this result classified as HA, HX or HT.
4. If cavalry: check highest melee WPF. Depending on this result classified as lancer, 1hd cav or 2hd cav.
5. If footman: check if Power Draw or Power Throw > 3. If so, classify as archer or thrower.
6. If no archer or thrower, check WPF in crossbow. If >74, then classify as crossbowman.
7. If no ranged fighter, check shield skill. If > 3, then classify as shieldman.
8. If shieldman, check whether highest WPF is polearm. If so, classify as hoplite.
9. If shieldman but no hoplite, classify as 1hd + shield.
10. If no shieldman, check highest WPF. If highest WPF 2hd, classify as 2hd infantry.
11. If 2hd infantry, check for crushthrough weapon. If so, classify as crushthrough infantry.
12. If no shieldman and no 2hd infantry, only polearm is left. If polearm infantry, check for pike weapon. If so, classify as pikeman.
13. If polearm infantry but no pikeman, classify as 2hd poleinfantry.
14. If no class can be applied, classify as peasant/weird hybrid.

This way the game knows exactly which class you are, recalling the prepared data as soon as you enter the server. It is rechecked on the server every time you change your weapons.

Yes, if a cavalryman decided to go without horse for a round he would be balanced the wrong way with my method, but a) the system can still be tweaked and b) he deserved it, he is a horsemy old friend.  :wink:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Aderyn

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 243
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Aderyn
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 02:18:01 pm »
+1
NO!

The whole idea of this mod is that you're able to customize your character into something unique if you want to. If i wanna be a thrower/archer/shielder then i can be that. There's no need for dividing people into classes.
Can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 02:40:03 pm »
+2
NO!

The whole idea of this mod is that you're able to customize your character into something unique if you want to. If i wanna be a thrower/archer/shielder then i can be that. There's no need for dividing people into classes.

It's not like you would be limited in your choice by classes. It's more a "classification" of your choices. If you are a thrower/archer/shielder hybrid, then you will be classified as hybrid. The game doesn't limit you on anything, it's just for balance purposes.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 02:49:18 pm »
+3
How about making the classification less specific? I.e stop at mounted and footman, ranged and melee.

So Footman/Ranged or Footman/Melee and...
Mounted/Ranged or Mounted/Melee.

This could serve as a help to autobalance but will still let people to play what they want. Just get ready for the autobalance to become a lot more balanced. As in, you will face an almost equal number of archers on the other team, meanig that if you are an archer/shielder/thrower, you will have to be creative to survive. Still doable, but still your own fault if that build doesn't work/isn't effective and not because of a nerf.

Make any sense?
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 03:35:54 pm »

After every round, you have x ammount of seconds to choose your equipment. Then, the balance algoritham starts and balances the teams acording to its pre defined criteria.

if the code works like that , balance would be effective every round.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:09 pm »
How about making the classification less specific? I.e stop at mounted and footman, ranged and melee.

So Footman/Ranged or Footman/Melee and...
Mounted/Ranged or Mounted/Melee.

This could serve as a help to autobalance but will still let people to play what they want. Just get ready for the autobalance to become a lot more balanced. As in, you will face an almost equal number of archers on the other team, meanig that if you are an archer/shielder/thrower, you will have to be creative to survive. Still doable, but still your own fault if that build doesn't work/isn't effective and not because of a nerf.

Make any sense?

I guess this could do the job as well, althogh I fear that there could still appear some imbalances, e.g. if the ranged of one team only consist of crossbowmen and throwers, when the ranged of the other team are only archers. Or when you have all pikemen/hoplites/shielders on one side and all two handers and halberdiers on the other side.