Poll

Would you want AI Armies to spice up strategus a bit?

Yes, sounds good!
No, I like current strategus.

Author Topic: AI Armies/City-states for strategus?  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: AI Armies/City-states for strategus?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:35 pm »
Reminds me of Europa Barbarorum's way of boosting the rebels/free peoples; The Eleutheroi.

Good idea.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 09:45:43 pm »
The size of these armies could perhaps be scaled to fit the expansion of the clans, early phase of Strat = smaller bands, later stage when everyone has big armies & lots of resources = 1k+ armies (you want them to be challenging but not to ruin the game for someone  :wink:). Oh and the frequency of such "events" should be set to a perfect medium so they occur sometimes but not too often.

That makes sense.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 07:32:35 am »
Good idea from Gnjus as well.

I'd like to see a part of the challenge in conquering the fiefs from the nations/states at first. When you have established yourself, you can start competing with the other human players.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 08:40:22 am »
I'd like to see a part of the challenge in conquering the fiefs from the nations/states at first.

This reminds me of my old idea about how AI Villages/Towns/Castles should look like in terms of equipment. What I had in mid was a realistic setting for them, for example: a Castle in the Desert should be buying only Sarranid equipment for its defenders instead of having ridiculous outfits when you fight for em, like: Strange Armor, Knightly Shield, 1h Axe & Nordic Helmet. Same for all other Nations, they should be equipped with their own armors/weapons to look more believable & realistic but unfortunately the Great Donkey said its too much coding for nothing as the aim of the game is to wipe the AI as soon as possible and have pure PvP battles so I wouldn't have high hopes If i were you.  :P

That said - I too believe that taking a Castle/Town should be a challenge and If i was proficient with these things I'd code it all myself.  :oops:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46:42 am »
This reminds me of my old idea about how AI Villages/Towns/Castles should look like in terms of equipment. What I had in mid was a realistic setting for them, for example: a Castle in the Desert should be buying only Sarranid equipment for its defenders instead of having ridiculous outfits when you fight for em, like: Strange Armor, Knightly Shield, 1h Axe & Nordic Helmet. Same for all other Nations, they should be equipped with their own armors/weapons to look more believable & realistic but unfortunately the Great equus africanus asinus said its too much coding for nothing as the aim of the game is to wipe the AI as soon as possible and have pure PvP battles so I wouldn't have high hopes If i were you.  :P

That said - I too believe that taking a Castle/Town should be a challenge and If i was proficient with these things I'd code it all myself.  :oops:

That would be nice. Would be cool to see.

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
This reminds me of my old idea about how AI Villages/Towns/Castles should look like in terms of equipment. What I had in mid was a realistic setting for them, for example: a Castle in the Desert should be buying only Sarranid equipment for its defenders instead of having ridiculous outfits when you fight for em, like: Strange Armor, Knightly Shield, 1h Axe & Nordic Helmet. Same for all other Nations, they should be equipped with their own armors/weapons to look more believable & realistic but unfortunately the Great equus africanus asinus said its too much coding for nothing as the aim of the game is to wipe the AI as soon as possible and have pure PvP battles so I wouldn't have high hopes If i were you.  :P

That would be good but isn't Strat still split in half for NA and EU? That would mean that clans like The Nordmen wouldn't be able to take the Northlands to get the equipment they want.

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »
That would be good but isn't Strat still split in half for NA and EU? That would mean that clans like The Nordmen wouldn't be able to take the Northlands to get the equipment they want.

Another reason to perhaps not split the map? Or make separate maps for EU/NA.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 06:30:58 am »
I agree with Taser on that, but it's not the main focus on this topic. Perhaps I'll create a new topic for that...

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: AI Armies for strategus?
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 05:29:10 pm »
Initially I don't like it, too many variables and things that would needed to be done in order for it to work.

The timing of these attacks would be vital, which means that this feature would completely randomize a lot of factors. Given how hard it actually is to establish a proper army in Strategus now, having all that preparation ruined because of some random AI attacks would be dreadful, verging on massive clan rage quits, especially since the AI wouldn't have any sort of intelligent approach to their battles, meaning that it would end up in situations that are basically suicide/stupid.

However, if the armies would be more similar to raiding bands (bandits) in Single Player, sure it might work, but we're talking a few hundred troops maximum then, and even so the AI would most likely still act suicidal.

If anything though I would suggest adding a 'Free' city, a truly neutral town with 15k troops or even more, allowing people to go there and purchase/recruit various resources, based on c-rpg activity such as crafting at the moment, or perhaps you could perform tasks such as running a caravan for the city and then earning a cut of that. In fact, having at least 2-3 of such 'free cities' around the map would be good, and in all fairness there have been plenty of major neutral cities in history which held out against invading armies throughout their whole campaigns.

I would like to be lord of free city.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 07:03:29 am »
That kinda beats the purpose of a free city...

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 10:11:32 am »
I like it, I think it could give more viability for clans that just want to play mercenary armies/units.