Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 126476 times)

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1395 on: November 14, 2013, 05:44:18 am »
AI Elephants don't do anything because their default attack is ranged javelin tossing. Silly AI.

But as he said, Javelins are the answer. I've played enough Aragon in M2TW with SS to know javelins are always the answer.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:04 pm »
So patch 7 is good.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 15, 2013, 10:24:54 pm »
Why?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #1398 on: November 17, 2013, 01:45:28 am »
Can anyone else not play? I have no idea why I cant. I get to the loading screen then it freezes or just crashes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: November 17, 2013, 02:59:20 am »
Mods from the workshops are auto-updating, so if the modders got them 1.7 beta compatible and you dont use beta 1.7, it will freeze out your games/saves.

And even if you update to beta 1.7, its probable some of the mods you used arent all 1.7 compatible.

To sum up: fuck updates.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: November 17, 2013, 03:13:19 am »
Mods from the workshops are auto-updating, so if the modders got them 1.7 beta compatible and you dont use beta 1.7, it will freeze out your games/saves.

And even if you update to beta 1.7, its probable some of the mods you used arent all 1.7 compatible.

To sum up: fuck updates.

Oh. 4 TURNS PER YEAR AND RADIOUS BETTER GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 17, 2013, 06:07:28 am »
+1
So I just read the patch notes. Two things that gave me a furious hard on

1. New guard mode mechanic: units will be in guard mode behaviour by default and hold their line unless they have a direct attack order.

Fucking thank christ. Now my units will not run off to fuck knows where or chase some random unit down, or make a gap in my line for enemies to penetrate giggity

2. Behaviour improvements for disengaging units: Units pulling out of melee will now try harder to avoid combat and run to the ordered location.

If only I could count the number of times I wanted to pull a unit out of battle, but theres that one fucking gomer pyle special ed kid that get stuck behind and causes the whole unit to re engage, resulting in me having to stay on that unit and click 20 times to get its ass out of their.

As for the rest of the patch, Id say its a pretty good fucking patch. Brings a lot of balance to many things. Also a few nice UI/grahics and performance upgrades.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 17, 2013, 06:54:56 am »
there was a version of 4 tpy for beta patch 7 like hours after it was available, if he updated it then people not using beta patch would have issues.

so yeah i'm just waiting for patch 7 to go live before updating my own mods. its only a week or so from beta to live.

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #1403 on: November 18, 2013, 06:54:15 pm »
So i havent played this since the clusterfuck of a bad launch, gotten any better or much of the same?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 18, 2013, 07:04:40 pm »
Much better and much more mods available  :)

Offline Ulmarth

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ulmarth_Mad_Haggis
« Reply #1405 on: November 19, 2013, 03:11:26 pm »
Butan is spot on, tho i still have alot of trouble with pike units. And with patch 7 the feel is right but they are much more spaced out for sum reason. I could push through quiet easily when no one pays attention to the specific unit.

So i would say yes its a great game overall and much more playable now with the patches. BUT work still needs done, or download a shit ton of mods.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 19, 2013, 04:26:53 pm »
Yea pikes looks way less badass with the new spacing  :cry:

Since I'm playing Epirus (for like 200+ turns with 2TPY) while heavily relying on heavy pikemen (and some heavy infantry(and very few heavy cav and light ranged)) I really feel like my cinematic experience has been nerfed  :P

I believe they tweaked the spacing to balance the stopping power of the pikes when you have the unit on the defensive : like you said its a bit easier for enemy units to go through it, which isnt bad because even a wall of 160 pikes shouldnt stop (for example) 320 heavy infantry/cavalry from going in completely.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ulmarth

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:55 pm »
(click to show/hide)

haha yea well my main campaign 200+ turns has been averni so iv not had as much trouble until i tryed online with a few different pike armies. I dont know it feel right when u fight them or against but the spacing jus makes it look silly.

As u say stackin em could be funny xD might try the hedgehog square four in one place all diff directions xD

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 19, 2013, 11:06:52 pm »
Dont start me on celtic factions I'm having my Epirus empire crushed by oathsworn spam  :P

Before the patch I could hold a oathsworn unit with a levy pikemen unit, but now the pike wall cant hold them more than a few seconds before breach appears.

Its balanced now, I really got to use costier pikemen to deal with elite infantry even frontally.

Offline Ulmarth

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 19, 2013, 11:15:03 pm »
Dont start me on celtic factions I'm having my Epirus empire crushed by oathsworn spam  :P

Before the patch I could hold a oathsworn unit with a levy pikemen unit, but now the pike wall cant hold them more than a few seconds before breach appears.

Its balanced now, I really got to use costier pikemen to deal with elite infantry even frontally.

Hahahaha the good ol oathsworn spam xD i know it well. Far more fun than the slinger spam early in the game before patches. Aye well i guess it balances it out a bit but wasnt that the point of a pike unit to be near unstoppable from front but less on flanks? They could atleast do this with tight formation i had hoped :S

Also the roman infantry work better off of formation in this new patch?! That makes no sense xD they are known for there formation fighting hahaha