Author Topic: NA Server Tactics  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
Re: NA Server Tactics
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2012, 10:52:15 pm »
A big part of the problem is the "YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DOOOOOOOOOOO" factor. That's not going to change. No words; however eloquent they may be will change that. The average motherfucker on the internet is not there to take orders. In fact, if someone were to tell them in a fashion that rubbed them the wrong way "Go left, god you fucks are so stupid this is why we lose we need a gfalidsjklcjreas" they're going to do the complete opposite thing to spite you. People just don't give a fuck, man. Nobody seriously thinks that "LOL WE GOTTA WIN BY CHARGING THEIR 10 RANGED OVER THERE". Maybe there's a couple, but they're ignorable retards. Likewise, nobody is ignorant enough to not realize that a completely organized team of 40 dudes, with poles and throwers to cut down flanking cav and a gaggle of ranged to fill advancing enemies with holes is better. The problem lies in the fact that THEY JUST DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

A new server for teamwork is not an option that would fix anything. I don't go on siege, so I'm always on community, NA1, or duel. Except for rare occasions where it gets maybe 20 people on it or when NA1 is down, nobody is on community. People are going to join the fullest server that there is. That's how it is, it's how people do. You'd be lucky to get 20 people on that server maximum, and organized tactics in a server population that small seems silly.

The only suggestion that I can give you people that seem to be terribly upset by the fact that random people on the internet are NOT going to act in the interest of the entire team is this: be fucking polite and personable when you're telling people what to do. Whining that they WON'T do what you say, and saying THAT is the reason the team is losing is going to make them spite you more. Why the fuck would I suddenly listen to someone after 2 rounds of ineffective orders now that they're being downright rude and whiny? I fucking wouldn't, and I would do the opposite thing because I'd be damn sure that would be more fun and humorous than listening to the braying jackass field-marshall.

Be NICE. Say please every now and again, and not in a pompous manner. People have to generally like you to do what you say on the internet. If people don't like you, then you're shit out of luck if you want to be the field marshall. Let me throw a scenario out here.

Robert Namo of Astralis is a very good player, and he's obviously played this mod for a long time. People generally have a positive image of him, it seems. NA1 had 80 people in it one night, Namo gets on and types in teamchat the simple instruction "GO LEFT" about 8 times in a row. The entire team went left and we slaughtered everyone with about 20 players to spare on a 40 man team. Namo did this once more, got teamswapped, and ordered the other team around with simple directional commands. THEY slaughtered us in a horrific fashion. After namo left our team, I tried to take his place. Not many people know me too well, and I am certainly no Namo. I'm not better than most of the players on the team, so while some of the team listened, some didn't. That's fine, I can't command an entire team after playing this mod for 2 generations. I don't mind that at all. I certainly didn't blame anybody, or act rudely.

Now, let me throw another one out there. It was NA1 with an 80 man server on that one map with the 5 sets of stonehenge looking ruins and lots of field in between them. And some hills, too. The good Reinhardt here ordered the team to set up a shield wall, in what I (and most of the team apparently) felt was a self-important and pompous fashion. Some of us set up a wall (including me, I know thats a solid way to win that map easily in pub), most of the team charged forward and got fucked hard. Next round, reinhardt bitched a little bit, and did the same thing. Same result. The round after that he was releasing a torrent of insults to the team and to players on it. Guess how many people listening to him and held position on top of that hill? A lot fewer. I know I ran forward just to make the motherfucker more upset. I'm not going to listen to somebody that is genuinely insulting me and my teammates. Thats how most people are. We only lasted one more round (it was obviously an 0-4 map) and by this round just about nobody held on top of that hill, we got fucked harder than any other round. It was butt-devastation. Senor Reinhardt continued his tirade, and there was not an ounce of peace to be had in the land.

tldr; If you want people to listen to you, don't be a jackass. Be polite, be friendly, be personable, and have a good reputation. If you don't have these things/don't act in an appropriate fashion, people will not listen to you, and will do the opposite of what you say. You'll fuck the team worse than if nobody used chat during the map one time.

Edit: Just read back over what I typed. I mean no insult from any of it. I've got nothing to gain from talking shit to a random person on the internet. I probably caught reinhardt in a bad moment, and he probably doesn't go around trying to field-marshall ineffectively all the time. I've only seen him at his worst.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:03:30 pm by Sandersson Jankins »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2012, 12:16:58 am »
+1
Lol im just saying. As much as i rage over the wall of plate coming at me and getting poked to death, or xeen lodging a jarid in me, you guys are one well oiled machine.

Yeah, I always make sure the boys are oiled up reeeaaal nice.  8-)

Offline MazrimX

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Noone Knows
  • Game nicks: MazrimX_n1k, Fire_Pie, Miyamota_Musashi, Jimmy_Eat_World
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2012, 01:08:28 am »
Lol im just saying. As much as i rage over the wall of plate coming at me and getting poked to death, or xeen lodging a jarid in me, you guys are one well oiled machine.

QFE

I always grit my teeth when facing off against a group of these guys, even with superior numbers. It just never turns out well for our team. lol
Beware... Herons adorn my blade.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2012, 01:14:45 am »
Or you have ppl that just dont care. They might be listening to music, getting high/drunk, minimized during their downtime, etc. Sometimes ppl just want to play the game and in turn dont take the game very seriously.
Pock gobblers

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2012, 01:16:48 am »
+1
For some odd reason I read this thread as "NA server Tacos" and i got excited for a moment.   Cause ya know, Tacos rule.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2012, 01:21:17 am »
For some odd reason I read this thread as "NA server Tacos" and i got excited for a moment.   Cause ya know, Tacos rule.
The convo would be better if it was about tacos.
Pock gobblers

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2012, 02:11:07 am »
+1
Smoothrich had some good points earlier in the thread about some teamplay flaws. Basically I also put the onus on the clan to work with the pubbie blob (and take into account class composition and how the pubbied will react to a mAp). Clans can't just be like fallen and sit back, they have to antipate pubbie movements, so not to waste too much time being in a non-impact situation. When clans do this properly they can be a significant force multiplier.

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2012, 02:36:41 am »
Jankins;

However impolitely, you raise a valid point.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2012, 03:03:45 am »
I've been in the NH TS for a little while now and they always have us go support other guys/randoms....I've never been a part of any camping either. I'm not gonna run into an area covered by a dozen archers and throwers, so hanging behind a building so I don't get my face decorated with a jarid seems more like prudence than camping.

From what I've experienced, it's generally us moving around to assist various groups of players or areas. As soon as the round starts everyone runs forward and gradually spreads out so there is no coherence. You can't blame a team/clan that sticks together for not "being with everyone else", because "everyone else" is all over the friggin place.
Hello

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2012, 03:07:23 am »
I worded it in such a way because I felt that the story warranted it. I guess that's also the way that I tend to communicate. No disrespect intended. I do not get my jollies from "trolling" dudes on the internet. I don't know most people in the mod too well, and I certainly don't know you besides that one snapshot of your personality.

Basically, lolinternet.

Oh, and I have to STRONGLY disagree with anyone implying that NH performs the usual "lol lets get 3-6 guys to camp while our team gets raped ajajajajjaaj". They're always running around with their shields up in wrecking ball formation. Sometimes it works spectacularly, less often it does not.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2012, 03:38:19 am »
+1
Im still disappointed this thread isn't about tacos.