Author Topic: Odd moves - Double Swings / Instant weaponswitch-parries?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline KaffeKalle

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: KaffeKalle, CheeseChester, CedricTheBald, DartLeif, Baglady
Re: Odd moves - Double Swings / Instant weaponswitch-parries?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 02:39:38 am »
I am alot of people, but I aint he. :D

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:02 am »
Maybe just personal perception, some people just restart swings ungodly fast without animations showing in a way they usually do. Its like, 80% near complete ordinaryswing, weapon warps back to starting position of the swing, and restart swing for the kill.
I am certain it isnt lag but something people actually are able to do that I cannot understand how. Cause it aint the way I swing when I move my mouse and click its buttons.

Pretty sure I aint referring to that Lemmy, since I havent been on a battle-server in months, except for the odd minutes I spent there the other day whining about how horrible it was. ;) Siege FTW!

Most likely the "warp" you're seeing is the result of an extremely fast feint (I use these frequently, and even on my screen the parry is only visible for a couple frames) being warped by ping so the parry never shows up.

As for the instant parries, swapping weapons is a tactic I also use frequently to confuse people. It's possible to parry or attack very rapidly after a switch, and if they managed to get you focused on their previous weapon, the quick speed of the swap combined with a little ping mutation can make it seem instant.

Basically, this is most likely the result of a little mid-fight confusion combined with some ping warping.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:51 am »
It's definitely lag, that and you not seeing the full animation of their feint. Basically sometimes the animations glitch and won't show the full feint, but will try to play catch-up so all you see is their weapon instantly teleport to mid-swing. Happens to me alllllllll the time.
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline KaffeKalle

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: KaffeKalle, CheeseChester, CedricTheBald, DartLeif, Baglady
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 02:51:26 am »
I dunno, seems like an odd thing to lag about.

Its not even all that hectic at some of the times I recall seeing the move. All I know is that it pisses me off when it happens, almost as much as seeing the clan-banner-dudes sticking together like glue and farming my precious siegeservers. ;)

Been running around trying to swing and cancel in the same way as I talked about, but really, no matter how I press the buttons a similar move does not happen. It is ofc. possible its just a visual glitch as you say, then I guess kudos to the people I see pulling it off whenever they damn well please, well done. But I cant help feeling that there is something in the basic combatstrategy of the game I'm missing.

As for the archerthing, I close up on an archer, start swinging when he still has his bow in his hand, my swing hits and I hear the unmistakable sound of a parry instead of the sound of my sword cutting his flesh. And he hasnt even begun switching weapons before my sword is moving in on him. I cant even start parrying with my new weapon if I start switching when people are two steps away and then start swinging at me.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 02:54:29 am »
Definitely sounds like major lag to me. What country do you live in and what's the name of the server you're playing on?

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 02:58:58 am »
+1
If you swing and wait until the last possible second to feint/cancel/block and than attack again, given your weapons didn't clash before you try the feint, it will come out at the end of the attack animation and you won't appear to hold up whatever block direction you used to feint.
And how!

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 03:41:59 am »
If you swing and wait until the last possible second to feint/cancel/block and than attack again, given your weapons didn't clash before you try the feint, it will come out at the end of the attack animation and you won't appear to hold up whatever block direction you used to feint.

ya that sounds right.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 04:10:26 am »
+1
Right, I've had shit like that happen, pretty sure most people has, seems to be associated with lag rather than something you can actively make happen.

I've had something similar where someone whiff a stab on me because I'm too close and then instantly side swing me within milliseconds of the whiff so I can't react in time to block since I thought it was my turn to attack.

Another theory is that it might just be a feint in the same direction? Like a right swing feint to a right swing.

Stuff like this happens to me on occasion, usually when I'm fighting a 2H in the exact way you described. Their thrust glances at close range, and somehow they instantly execute a quick left swing as if their first attack never happened. It did, though, because I hear the glance sound followed by my character losing health from the follow-up left swing.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 04:15:07 am »
Bouncing a thrust intentionally and follow up with a quick swing is just a trick to try and get past someone's block, just like feints/holds/footwork/chamber blocks etc.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 04:21:25 am »
Whiff a thrust is a way to get through someone's defenses? That's new to me because it always gets me killed when I subsequentially stab unintentionally and then try to backpedal my way out as I'm defenseless for the next few moments.
And how!

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 04:23:56 am »
Bouncing a thrust intentionally and follow up with a quick swing is just a trick to try and get past someone's block, just like feints/holds/footwork/chamber blocks etc.

You mean it actually works like that? When I whiff on someone with a thrust, I have this fucklong recovery time and I for SURE can't instantly swing back.

And by instantly swing back, I mean that 60% of the side swing's animation is actually hidden behind the stab whiff and then it plays the remaining 40% but it's already too late to react by then. I assume it's a client<->server lagfuckery that sometimes happens so that clientside, it played a whiff stab but server side, he's just been swinging the entire time.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 04:25:36 am »
+1

It shouldn't work, though. Your attack is glancing. The very fact that you launched an attack which awkwardly came into contact with the opponent's hitbox means you should be stunned just as though they blocked your attack.

Yes, in real life if you glanced your thrust your weapon would now be next to your opponent's body which you could swing into, but I would like to stay away from that argument.

Intentionally bouncing a thrust means that you and your opponent are too close. If the opponent intentionally footworked to make your thrust glance, this should reward the opponent. If you unintentionally footworked too close to your opponent, this should punish you. I don't see how an intentionally glanced thrust should be equivalent to a feint, hold, or chamber in terms of tricking/getting around an opponent's block.

sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 05:39:17 am »
The bounce trick only works if you instantly glance at facehug range. It is very rare for it to happen by accident. A normal thrust glance will leave you stunned.

As for the OP, the chamber animation not playing is almost certainly lag.

Offline brianr1989

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Titan_IV
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 12:31:05 pm »
OP, are you sure they aren't just feinting without releasing their swings? There are two types of feints.. one where you ready an attack but don't actually attack and one where you release an attack, cancel it halfway and do a second attack.

The first is done by just holding the LMB and switching up attack direction quickly with the RMB. If you repeatedly do it in the same direction it will look like you're doing half swings but it won't make the distinct 'woosh' sound of a real swing.

Second one is where you actually swing but cancel it with RMB and do a different swing. This type makes the 'woosh' sounds and it a lot slower but the sound can decieve opponents.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 12:33:14 pm »
sounds like lag :P

It is lag, I sometimes do that to people on accident when I'm lagging. What I see on my screen is I try to swing, but nothing happens, then after a second I see the end of the swing animation and someone dies.

Always funny when it happens and someone asks "wtf". Or when you lose control over your char due to lagspike and 1s later regain control and someone is dead.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".