Author Topic: Odd moves - Double Swings / Instant weaponswitch-parries?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline KaffeKalle

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: KaffeKalle, CheeseChester, CedricTheBald, DartLeif, Baglady
Odd moves - Double Swings / Instant weaponswitch-parries?
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:50:22 am »
Lately I have noticed more and more people do a swing at me, cancel their swing mid swing and immediately restart their swing when they notice I start swinging back. How do you guys do it? I mean, I can swing, parry, cancel swings and restart swings, but not in the instant way that these moves are done. And no matter what kind of buttoncombination I try clicking I cant for the life of me understand how.

Also, whenever I switch from throwing spears to 1hander I get a minor delay before I am able to parry, yet alot of archers do not seem to have that problem at all.

Could someone please explain how these moves are done so that I can fight on equal terms with the rest of you?

Offline Frell

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Frell, Valperga
Re: Odd moves - Double Swings / Instant weaponswitch-parries?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 01:51:58 am »
Apparently in crpg making your target flinch was historically accurate.

Hopefully you're using a hybrid build that allows such weapon combinations to be used effectively.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:54:48 am »
You say that you can cancel your swings mid-swing and restart it, but not in the fast way the rest of us can? The best advice I can give is to practice. Practice makes you better, after all, and it's how the rest of us learned.

Offline KaffeKalle

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:04:51 am »
Ofc I can, just press the right button, but what Im seeing others doing far surpasses that since I have to move my sword back into a blocking position before I get to swing again. The moves Im referring to is the ones where guys just restart a swing in the midle of their swing. Its hard to explain. :D

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:12:33 am »
Ofc I can, just press the right button, but what Im seeing others doing far surpasses that since I have to move my sword back into a blocking position before I get to swing again. The moves Im referring to is the ones where guys just restart a swing in the midle of their swing. Its hard to explain. :D

Feints?

Offline Ramza

• Earl
  • Renown: 344
  • cRPG Player
  • @aeonslife
    • View Profile
    • Aeonslife
  • Faction: Remnant
  • Game nicks: Trisection_Ramza
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:15 am »
+1
When an opponent is starting another swing ever after you just blocked one of his, he's trying to get another hit in with good footwork and placement.

ex. He swings, I block. I start a swing, then he starts a swing after, but he still hits me first.

The proximity of your opponent and whether he is to the right or left relative to you affects which swing will hit who first.

ex. My opponent is on my right side, I swing left to right. This swing takes a lot longer to hit, if at all (if he's to the extreme right) compared to a swing from right to left.

Fuck me.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:17:12 am »
+1

Offline KaffeKalle

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:20:33 am »
You clearly dont understand what I am trying to get at, its not a noobish thing like movement, even though I personally aint a great dueler I do understand that concept.

The move I mean is when I dont even parry their swings, they start a swing, I put up a parry in the right place, they stop swinging, I see their swing has stopped and I start a swing of my own, then they just restart their swing in an instant. Without them having to take the time that I have to take in order to stop a swing of my own. I suppose it is possible that it is a visual bug and has something to do with latency, but if that was the case I am pretty sure I would have seen that kind of swing as often a year ago as I do nowadays, and I did not.

Also, instant parries, what gives? People scroll faster on the mousewheel?

And what about feints? Isnt that just the cancel swing with parry-button, is there another way to stop your swinging?

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 02:23:02 am »
sounds like lag :P

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 02:25:16 am »

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 02:27:28 am »
You clearly dont understand what I am trying to get at, its not a noobish thing like movement, even though I personally aint a great dueler I do understand that concept.

The move I mean is when I dont even parry their swings, they start a swing, I put up a parry in the right place, they stop swinging, I see their swing has stopped and I start a swing of my own, then they just restart their swing in an instant. Without them having to take the time that I have to take in order to stop a swing of my own. I suppose it is possible that it is a visual bug and has something to do with latency, but if that was the case I am pretty sure I would have seen that kind of swing as often a year ago as I do nowadays, and I did not.

Also, instant parries, what gives? People scroll faster on the mousewheel?

And what about feints? Isnt that just the cancel swing with parry-button, is there another way to stop your swinging?

Could be that you're feinting with an unbalanced weapon when they're not. I think, I'm having trouble understanding what mechanic you're trying to talk to us about, I don't know.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 02:31:43 am »
Kaf is refering to a time we fought on battle server and i did this kind of attack to him (on my alt), maybe others have done it too i dont know. But ya sometimes when i feint alot when fighting in melle with a morningstar the weapon kind of instant swings. Once i even did 2 instant swings one after the other. When this happens usually i attempted to feint and stop the swing so i could swing in a differnt direction, but i dont stop the weapon in time and inteasd it instant swings to the other direction i was going to go in. Hitting people with instant swings is kind of hard as you never know when it will happen, you jsut know it can happen under the circumstances described, and when it does happen it happens so fast that you dont have time to properlly aim the swing.

Sometimes when im feinting alot in a fight i get a feeling like its goign to happen, and so im ready when it comes and can hit someoent then. And almost feels like a special attack that comes at the end of a combination like in a game like mortal combat, swing and feight real fast in abunch of directions and bam instant swing for the kill.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:35:27 am by Lemmy_Winks »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KaffeKalle

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:34:25 am »
Maybe just personal perception, some people just restart swings ungodly fast without animations showing in a way they usually do. Its like, 80% near complete ordinaryswing, weapon warps back to starting position of the swing, and restart swing for the kill.
I am certain it isnt lag but something people actually are able to do that I cannot understand how. Cause it aint the way I swing when I move my mouse and click its buttons.

Pretty sure I aint referring to that Lemmy, since I havent been on a battle-server in months, except for the odd minutes I spent there the other day whining about how horrible it was. ;) Siege FTW!

Also, the swing I am referring to always restarts as the same swing as the first. They dont change direction, they just restart the first swing without anything happening in between as far as I can tell.

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:06 am »
+1
Kaf is refering to a time we fought on battle server and i did this kind of attack to him (on my alt), maybe others have done it too i dont know. But ya sometimes when i feint alot when fighting in melle with a morningstar the weapon kind of instant swings. Once i even did 2 instant swings one after the other. When this happens usually i attempted to feint and stop the swing so i could swing in a differnt direction, but i dont stop the weapon in time and inteasd it instant swings to the other direction i was going to go in. Hitting people with instant swings is kind of hard as you never know when it will happen, you jsut know it can happen under the circumstances described, and when it does happen it happens so fast that you dont have time to properlly aim the swing.

Right, I've had shit like that happen, pretty sure most people has, seems to be associated with lag rather than something you can actively make happen.

I've had something similar where someone whiff a stab on me because I'm too close and then instantly side swing me within milliseconds of the whiff so I can't react in time to block since I thought it was my turn to attack.

Another theory is that it might just be a feint in the same direction? Like a right swing feint to a right swing.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:39 am »
Maybe just personal perception, some people just restart swings ungodly fast without animations showing in a way they usually do. Its like, 80% near complete ordinaryswing, weapon warps back to starting position of the swing, and restart swing for the kill.
I am certain it isnt lag but something people actually are able to do that I cannot understand how. Cause it aint the way I swing when I move my mouse and click its buttons.

Pretty sure I aint referring to that Lemmy, since I havent been on a battle-server in months, except for the odd minutes I spent there the other day whining about how horrible it was. ;) Siege FTW!

Oh i thought you were kafein for some reason.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login