Poll

Do you want cav to take skill?

yes
120 (67.4%)
no
58 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 177

Author Topic: Nerf Cav  (Read 12849 times)

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Cav
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 07:21:02 am »
+2
the question you are asking is irrelevant to what you are trying to explain or ask for a nerf.. and who would not want something to take skill anyway.. you cant go and completely change a game in so many ways with 1 swipe so gl with that.. oh btw i wasnt turning on a dime with my 3str 15agi 5 riding cataphract lol.. i would  much rather it be the way it is now than it be an archer fest.. if cav is taken away there that means there will be twice as many archers.. then you will be posting another irrelevant question on a thread saying.. do you want archery to take skill lol.. also i dont know if you realized that they, the devs actually made a server taht was OLD CRPG.. but im not sure how far it went back but it was a big failure because no one liked it.. just sayin..
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 07:24:49 am »
+2
Maybe they should add this mechanic to your character and no one elses.

Posting in a renown whore thread.

Offline HardRice

• Marshall
  • Renown: 740
  • Infamy: 161
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 187/Alligator
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 07:48:29 am »
Maybe they should add this mechanic to your character and no one elses.

Posting in a renown whore thread.
Get out.

I agree with nerf, make cav quit naoo.

Offline Kuyamzoleta

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zoleta, WATCHOUT_SON
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:23 am »
you cant go and completely change a game in so many ways with 1 swipe so gl with that..

They have been.

In concerns to the OP, I'd like to see your hypothesis(when it comes to projected class playing increases and decreases) come into motion. You've got a lot of hopeful values such as throwers decreasing, and archers and crossbowers increasing, turning the game into old c-rpg. Which, I believe, are what the developers are TRYING to do. they're trying to make this game a bit more teamwork oriented, and you could see this with the gameplay mechanics they've been recently changing, and what they propose to change in the future (i.e. multiplier, more mechanic changes). 
"twerk miley miley twerk"

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:17 am »
+5
I don't think cav needs big nerf at all. Best way to "nerf" them and most classes out there is _map planning_.

When there's lot's of cavs, add more village / mountain maps in rotation. I don't care if there's many cav players out there if I have places to hide and ambush them at corners. Only flat maps are problematic sometimes if other team gets all cav players.

edit:

But sure if we talk about nerfs.... make it so that cav players sometimes fall off from horse if they receive high damage (good riding would reduce falling changes). Aaaaand if they rush to wall, make them fall off from horse. Maybe then make it so that some spear weapons would be stuck in bodies if unlucky so they need to pick up new one or go with backup slashing weapon. Also reduce bumpslashing through their own horse, it's just idiotic to see sword going through their own horse necks and hitting enemies.

Maybe my biggest wish:

Make us have assist points/ horse killing points in scoreboard for killing horses. That would encourage people to actually kill them and build characters specialized in horse killing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:26:44 am by bonekuukkeli »

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 09:20:22 am »
+1

Any nerf to cav is a good nerf atm, the amount of cav on servers is retarded, watching them ride around like jets lancing everything in sight while being able to turn their war rhinos (cataphracts) on a dime is ridiculous. Fact that one of the best NA cav is asking for a nerf says something as well.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
Better to nerf cav and put more open maps in rotation.

Maps shouldn't lead to "my class is useless on this / not this shit again, alt-tab time". Neither should they be so small so that infantry can go from one spawn to another in 30 seconds.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 09:28:59 am »
Far too many horses on EU_1. Something should be changed.

Or bring back LADDERS so RANGED can actually shoot the horses down.

These days, you're lucky if you can get more than two Arbalest shots off before you get bumped/lanced/whatever. Counting on teammates to cover you while reloading is a futile matter.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:31 am »
+5
I don't remember exactly how the rider getting bumped thing worked, but there is a way to make it exceptionally awesome IMO.

(if this is how it worked then sorry for redundancy)
horse bumps a player, the player gets knocked on his ass and the horse carries on, but the rider gets jolted enough that he cant swing a weapon.

this means that if the cav is trying to pick off an enemy then he wants to avoid bumping the player, BUT if the cav is trying to use FUCKING TEAMWORK instead of just trying to be a KSing little bitch like usual, then it means they can knock an enemy down and have their infantry beat the guy up, or if they have another cav following behind them, then that cav can lance the guy that got knocked down. the change would encourage cav to choose between going for an assist or a kill instead of going for the kill and if that doesnt work getting an assist... it just makes them comit to one or the other... i think you would see some great assist cav players and some great lancers, but you wouldnt see as much herp derp cav.

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 10:09:17 am »
+1
I don't care either way, when I'm cav I either aim to bump or aim to stab with my lance, not both at the same time.
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 10:14:46 am »
+2
Keep it as it is. Only ones to benefit from this are gay 2h with gayswords. And poor shielders.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:57 am »
+1
I don't remember exactly how the rider getting bumped thing worked, but there is a way to make it exceptionally awesome IMO.

(if this is how it worked then sorry for redundancy)
horse bumps a player, the player gets knocked on his ass and the horse carries on, but the rider gets jolted enough that he cant swing a weapon.

That is exactly how it worked.

As I recall, the conversation at the time went this like:

chadz: "We have added a new mechanic!"
Players: "Hooray!"
chadz: "We have thought of a better way to do it!  We are removing this mechanic until we implement the better way!"
Players: "Hooray I guess!"
chadz: "I'll start on it just as soon as OO SHINY!!"
*3 months later*
Players: "So.... that mechanic... how's it going?"
chadz: "What are you talking about?"

(click to show/hide)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 10:43:18 am »
+1
of course the guy with 190 length masterwork weapon doesnt care about nerfing the other 2 viable cav styles.  If you think you're so hot, lets see you go for a month using 1h and see how eager you are for a nerf.  Not to mention the idea of a rider getting bumped when the horse runs someone over is completely stupid idea. 

Bumping should be the OPPOSITE effect, it should help 1h/2h but hinder other weapons like someone holding a 190 length weapon or precision instrument like xbow.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:46 am »
+6
Huey went mad, put him down.

Cav is your friend:

Cav success is completely dependent on the awareness and cohesion of the enemy team. A frontal assault of light cav on an enemy team is a death wish, the only margin for success already is to circle around the enemy to attack the flanks/rear or pick off stragglers. Even having dedicated ranged players mark flanking (light) cav will result in them being rendered useless. This is fine as it is, as it brings a nice risk/reward playstyle to cav.

When fighting more than one enemy, it is a viable tactic for cav to hit (lance/sword) one enemy and try to avoid another by running him over. It is in fact the only way cav can cope with multiple enemies (especially as lancer cav), besides their mobility, and only so if the enemy is not able to rear the horse, slash the horse or kill the rider. Fine too.

Cav is also the most expensive class to play and - just like expensive armor wielding tincans - gets rewarded for the high cost by a battlefield advantage. For tincans it is to be able to absorb multiple hits, for cav it is the mobility and extra hp the horses can soak up. Fine as well.

Cav can suck, too:

Where cav is getting imbalanced and annoying is when you have a lightly armored guy sitting on a fat old panzer horse with a big shield, constantly blocking. Often he can just ride over and out of a group of people without getting hit or the horse being killed. Money is imo not a sufficient balance argument for this.

Xbow cav is another phenomenon that drives people mad because of "slow" fighting style with constant reloads, the bump-shots and the dragging rounds out. I believe longterm there will not be many around and it really takes dedicated (troll) people to even stick with this class for long. A solution for this anyway if needed would be simply to disallow a reloading of all xbows on horseback.

In conclusion: cav is hard and being bumpstunned is racist.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 11:40:49 am »
+5
All of you are talking about nerfing cav by decreasing their speed, hp and so on...

IMO fisrt we should check one thing: make cav louder.
Nowdays horses move like a ninja, you can hear them when you got a lance or sword in your back ;/
You should be able hear charging horse in full speed at least from 50 m , not 5 when it's too late.

Huge advantage for cav is that you can't heat them from distance, and all of us should know that the worst enemy is enemy wich you don't know about.
If you will increase horses sounds (remove pillows from their hooves), you will remove one of their big advantage: suprise attack from back.

It will reduce a lot numbers of kills made by cav, but won't nerf them too much.

I also totally agree with reducing force field around shield, but not only on horseback :)
Archer forever :D