Author Topic: Shogun 2 Thread  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Shogun 2 Thread
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »
Been a while since release and quite suprised I haven't seen a thread (Especially from Shogunate members)

So. Let's use this thread for discussion, questions, and other Shogun 2 related things.

Please try to keep out things like:
(click to show/hide)

Currently have two singerplayer campaign files, one as Shimazu, the other one was Mouri. But been quite addicted to the Multiplayer.
Also planning on trying out Uesugi or Oda(Going christian and get dem matchlocks).

(click to show/hide)

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
Re: Shogun 2 Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:30:17 pm »
I haven't purchased this yet. Are the multiplayer and co-op any good?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:37:10 pm »
How many bugs are there?
Just a soldier

Offline cutsomecheesewithmybow

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Hangover everyday.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dew
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:42:28 pm »
All the factions are almost the same. I mainly play Hojo because they've got an awesome triforce on their banner.

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:54:08 pm »
Great battles, crappy campaign. And by crappy I mean really crappy. I hope they're not going in a multiplayer battle direction and ignoring SP campaign for future games.

How many bugs are there?

Some siege battle AI bugs (assaulting AI archers get stuck in front of walls, enemy just sits there if defending and doesn't move its troops away from your archers). Reinforcements in siege can also be bugged (don't move toward the castle). The AI in siege battles is retarded anyway.

Multiple trade post bugs, also a trade post/trade with faction bug that nets you millions of gold.

Strange formulation for how the Shogunate works - there's a realm divide system that increases hostilities against you the more land you take and battles you win. But this is issued by the current Shogunate. It's possible to capture Kyoto before they can call a realm divide, but the realm divide instantly happens afterwards, even though you're the new Shogun. Not a bug, but retarded anyway.

Anyways, the bugs in battles are probably gonna be fixed soon, and mostly aren't that major. The bugs in campaign aren't major, but irritating. The best thing about the game is the new features in battles and more impressive graphics and details. The worse thing is the poorly designed campaign, and awful campaign AI (doesn't EVER garrison a castle for example, also can't manage an economy or social order properly).

Very pretty game, but also very infuriating.

I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:00:14 am »
sp campaign is pretty crappy, i played legendary difficult and it was pretty much cap 10 provinces then take the rest

battle ai is pretty good tho, except with cav (front charging your spearmens allways) and it never put archers in loose formation

multiplayer runs smooth and are great, the only bug there are users that abuse plugpulling to not get eny losses on the stat ladders (this makes you dont get exp and u cant unlock new units)

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:03:36 am »
The realm divide is ridiculous, thankfully there are mods that either remove it or diminish the effect it has.
 Although it mostly happens when i have already efficiently won the game.

Vassals, what are they good for? I gain more troops & gold by just occupying the providence myself.. And for some reason my allies and vassals always wage war on each-other QQ

The oda faction's start is way to harsh, especially on the harder difficulty levels. Only managed four rounds as them myself.

Feel the use of ships could have been better. In my previous shogun 2 games i only needed a few trade-ships & a small number of attack-ships to gain & guard the trade-posts. No point in going after the black-ship (too much risk vs reward) and raiding trade-lines are near useless (in my experience).

All in all it is a decent game, and i have had great fun playing it.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:04:55 am by Babelfish »

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 05:38:56 pm »
Strange formulation for how the Shogunate works - there's a realm divide system that increases hostilities against you the more land you take and battles you win. But this is issued by the current Shogunate. It's possible to capture Kyoto before they can call a realm divide, but the realm divide instantly happens afterwards, even though you're the new Shogun. Not a bug, but retarded anyway.
If you grow too big so will the Shogunate make an alliance against you. Even though most clans aren't that loyal to the Shogunate so can't you deny the fact that you're proberly the biggest clan when this happends and the other clans sees this as a chance to crush you.

And if you take Kyoto so will pretty much the same thing happend. You can see this as a real-life Coup d'état. You pretty much takes over the capital and pronounces yourself Shogun/King/Emperor or what you want to call it.
It is pretty obvious the others won't stand for this.

How many bugs are there?
As Guard Bane said. There is a few. Not that major. The AI as said sucks quite much at Siege battles. on normal field battles so are they quite good compared to the older games(Total War games that is)
There is also semi-rare bugs like the one bane mentioned with the trade route that you somehowly gain loads of money(Have only happened for a few from what I have seen) Never happened for me, sadly.
For Multiplayer so was there some issues with the matchmaking. Sometimes you ended up in a 3vs3 when searching 2vs2, or a naval battle when you searched for siege, etcetera.
But that have been pretty much fixed. It still happends. But is quite rare.

The only real major bug is that if you start as Shimazu, and then either walk near or attack the enemy army at the start so will the game crash(But not for all. Maybe depends on CPU?) But you can easily not attack him and instead attack the castle and he'll be defeated.

I haven't purchased this yet. Are the multiplayer and co-op any good?
The Campaign coop is for 2 players. I believe you are forced to be allies? Haven't touched it yet. I've heard it is quite good but overall. It is like Singerplayer campaign just with a friend. I've heard that siegeing Kyoto with two big armies, etcetera is great fun.

There is also Clan wars. Similiar to Shogun 1 campaign style. Were you just attack regions and gain clan points there. The clan with the most amount of points owns the region.
Then after the league you are in is finished. Like around 10 days so does the two top clans go up a league while the four bottom clans go down a league.
In this clan wars/avatar campaign so do you unlock new units, level up your general, gain veteran units and so on.
There is still also the normal battle were you just choose amount of funds and what troops you want.

There is also drop-in battles. Which is that someone/you plays singerplayer campaign. And then when there is a battle so does someone/you drop in as the enemy.
that way you don't have to face the AI.
Was quite hilarious once when a Oda played Sieged Kyoto and I played as Ashikaga Shogunate and pretty much dominated him becouse of those capital walls.

Vassals, what are they good for? I gain more troops & gold by just occupying the providence myself.. And for some reason my allies and vassals always wage war on each-other QQ

The oda faction's start is way to harsh, especially on the harder difficulty levels. Only managed four rounds as them myself.

Feel the use of ships could have been better. In my previous shogun 2 games i only needed a few trade-ships & a small number of attack-ships to gain & guard the trade-posts. No point in going after the black-ship (too much risk vs reward) and raiding trade-lines are near useless (in my experience).

All in all it is a decent game, and i have had great fun playing it.
Vassals can be quite a good ally to have. To protect one of your flanks or so from the enemy. But overall so is it better to just conquer the region.

But funny thing happened once for me. I had Mouri as my ally. And he being as mad he was, had several wars against lots of clans. And one of those clans. Which I never even have fought against asked me for peace. So I just asked if he wanted to be my vassal and accepted. So that was pretty alright.

Anyhow. Oda historically was in quite a bad position. But from what I have heard so after you survive the first ten turns or so does it become quite much easier.

I have pretty much just played as the island clans(Mouri, Shimazu and Chosokabe) So the navy has alwaysd been important to me. Having to start war to conquer all the trade points and then secure my fronts and against pirates.
And I usually gain around 500-1000 income from raiding trade lines. it is not much. But it's atleast something for my navy to do while waiting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:41:02 pm by Erika_Furudo »

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:11:08 pm »
steam won't verify my e-mail so i haven't bought it just yet, i'm currently saving up for a midi keyboard at 300 pounds aswell so it'll have to wait...

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
steam won't verify my e-mail so i haven't bought it just yet, i'm currently saving up for a midi keyboard at 300 pounds aswell so it'll have to wait...
Steam usually overprice newly released games. You can proberly find it cheaper in a local store or a webshop from your country. Even Amazon is cheaper.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »
Steams price £39.99 my local store price £29.99

Fail steam there

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:09:17 pm »
The realm divide is ridiculous, thankfully there are mods that either remove it or diminish the effect it has.
 Although it mostly happens when i have already efficiently won the game.

i like realm divide... it kind of pisses me off... but it makes the finish at least somewhat challenging when you have to face everyone... oh and i beat oda on very hard :P waaaaay easier than Uesugi!

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 12:51:10 pm »
yeah, i'll probably buy it at asda, usually cheap for games anyway, it's only 29.99 on steam Cymro, has been since before it was released...

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »
dam its 50 bucks on steam in US :(
Just a soldier

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 05:14:49 pm »
yeah, i'll probably buy it at asda, usually cheap for games anyway, it's only 29.99 on steam Cymro, has been since before it was released...

It is? Thats strange it still says £39.99 for me hmm...