Author Topic: First Thoughts  (Read 5347 times)

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
First Thoughts
« on: June 21, 2012, 01:38:39 am »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:52:59 am by rinaun »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: First Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:40:24 am »
I dun get it.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:44 am »
+1
I'm not sure what is not to get. If the whole level to 30 instantly wasn't proof the game has problems I don't know what is. Without the "skip the fun" I can safely say I wouldn't of even kept playing past the first 5 minutes. It takes way too long to level and obtain gear compared to the amount of time I'm watching my character die repeatedly. Add to this admins who will remove you if you don't so happen to run into the fray and die.

So what is the point of the instant level 30 if there isn't a low level-high level gap issue? It's obviously there for a reason, just it isn't enough in my opinion.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 01:46:22 am »
+8
You should've seen cRPG when it was fairly new.. about two years ago.

Probably.. you would've GTXted in the first minute, imagine the current progression is like.. a hundred times faster than the old one.

This game, this mod needs serious dedication, sadly we are living the era of the real cookie cutters. Still, level and gear means next to nothing on their own.

All in all: You have it easy. Way too easy compared to what it was like back in the day.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:22 am »
I agree. I like the mod, but they need to up cash income or something for new players. I love a good rpg but even after hitting 30 all I could afford was basically shit compared to what most people have. I was shooting multiple arrows on people for them to just truck through body hits and oneshot me with a quick swing. It didn't take long for this to drive away a few friends playing, thus ending this mod for me. I'm really not sure how you should fix it without saying boost the beginning players with little to no gear. Maybe some sort of formula applied to characters with under $XXXXX amount spent? I'm honestly not sure, I just know I'm sure as FUCK not dying 1000 times just to get one kill. Not. Happening.

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:52:57 am »
Over 120 players on EU1 every day are wrong, this guy is RIGHT!

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:55:03 am »
A whole 120? How many do you actually retain? Because I can tell you out of my 6 friends playing this mod, only I still play(ed) it.

edit: off to play some other games. I'd love to hear from the admins, whom from what I saw were kicking people not willing to run in and die. Sounds like cool dudes.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:56:31 am »
I was shooting multiple arrows on people for them to just truck through body hits and oneshot me with a quick swing. It didn't take long for this to drive away a few friends playing, thus ending this mod for me.

Poor guy, he's new, expects archery to instakill anything he aims at.

Same for his friends.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 01:57:44 am »
+2
I agree. I like the mod, but they need to up cash income or something for new players. I love a good rpg but even after hitting 30 all I could afford was basically shit compared to what most people have. I was shooting multiple arrows on people for them to just truck through body hits and oneshot me with a quick swing. It didn't take long for this to drive away a few friends playing, thus ending this mod for me. I'm really not sure how you should fix it without saying boost the beginning players with little to no gear. Maybe some sort of formula applied to characters with under $XXXXX amount spent? I'm honestly not sure, I just know I'm sure as FUCK not dying 1000 times just to get one kill. Not. Happening.

Two years and more ago I started playing this, someone thru a "snowflake" at me, I didnt know what it was, but you didnt need PT to pick it back then, I grabbed it and threw it back, headshot on some peasant thrower, 1st kill lvl 1 game 1 round 1, was hooked. Killing isnst even THAT important, the TAB menu shows who landed the most finishing blows but battle is not a quick succession of duels, its a melee, I cannot count the number of times I have "Killed" a guy, by poking him with 2 powerstrike, with a pitchfork, which opened his block and he got eviscerated by my 2hander teammate. The is a lot going on in a big battle, and good killers apreciate good teammates.

I agree, there should be notices when you FIRST start, with hints such as "Dont go shield archer", "You should probably get a shield" and suchlike
I don't know enough

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:58:34 am »
+2
Hey all!

New player here. I've been playing for a few days now and I'd like to comment on some things on why I actually stopped playing. There are some issues with this game that make picking it up and playing fresh almost impossible in its current state.

First off: Why is there such a large gap from the top to the bottom? Even with the level 30 boost I still have nothing compared to others. I even saw some people getting removed from servers for not wanting to blindly rush into death countless times. Is there a reason this game allows people with hardly anything to play with people who are completely decked? Maybe I am missing something here, but I feel no immersion being completely trampled game after game just trying to get ahead. I understand that it's an RPG but if I can't get a fair matching or fight back at least somewhat then I'm going to feel robbed and probably end up quitting before I get to end game (like my friends did).

second: Why is character creation so confusing? I pretty much wasted every stat point trying to build what I wanted, to find out my build is almost useless unless I go cookie cutter and put all my points into one skill. Why wouldn't you just tell beginning players this? Are you trying to make the game harder for beginners? Once again I'm lost on the motive.

In my vast game experience, you try to get people hooked before giving them a challenge and not just completely start them downhill, expecting them to wade through shit dying 100 times to get one cheap upgrade in the hopes that at some point it will be playable and fair. Just my 2c.

U can be useful as a level 30, easyli. But the problem is rly getting the hang of this game, this game has got a quite hard combat system for new players. Its a game which actually require skill, its hard for new players, but its rly awesome and keeps it alive, when u get the hang of it.

Well the strenght and agility is the same, as it has always been in all games.

Agility adds speed.
Strength adds power.

But if u need more information, u can always go to the beginner topics, there is alot of help there.

U talked about proper builds, and this one can rly help u with that: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:19 am »
+1
Its not an easy game. With an STF character you shouldn't really be able to blame your char/gear for dying repeatedly. You just have to learn quite a bit to become competent. You either enjoy that process or get frustrated and play something else. You're not supposed to be a hero anyway, its a team game. Stay with groups and be aware of your position/defence
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:01:06 am »
+1
its a team game

:lol:

That's why when I take support weapons, and I'm in a group and we get attacked, suddenly the teammates always disappear.

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 02:06:16 am »
+1
A whole 120? How many do you actually retain? Because I can tell you out of my 6 friends playing this mod, only I still play(ed) it.

All the ones who joined clans and stopped whining on the forums

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 02:10:15 am »
+3

A couple of tips:
-looms and expensive gear do less than you think, I've seen people clean house with a wooden sword.
-Most important thing is to learn the maps, learn how to block etc. People that play this mod play A LOT and have had tons of practice.
-Get a sword and shield or an xbow if you are not doing well, they are a bit more straight forward to use.
-Find the best player playing your playstyle and follow them around, let them protect you and watch how they play
-Any number of playstyles and builds can be valid if played properly, I've never had a cookiecutter build and I do just fine
-admins dont kick people for not rushing in and dying, just for hiding when you are the last left. People may still complain otherwise, but if you are not the last one left, fuck the whiners.
-last but not least, i guarentee if you stick with it, you'll become just as addicted as the rest of us losers
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:16:16 am »
Archery here is for masoquists, if you can't get used to it choose another build or gtfo.

I recomend a hornbow build 18 21, and dont even think of making a shielder hibrid build.