Author Topic: Help me on my setup please ?  (Read 629 times)

Offline sambo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Oinkage
  • Game nicks: Oink_Smilledge
Help me on my setup please ?
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:55:01 pm »
+1
Hey i really want to create a character that runs fast like i have seen people doing how would i go about spending points etc and what weapons would be best to use.

Thanks
Oink Oink

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: Help me on my setup please ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:54:40 pm »
Run fast = lots of Athletics + Light/Medium Armor.

You would probably want a longer weapon, like an expensive 2h sword, or a Polearm. Note that you will need Strength as a weapon "requirement".
To begin with, i would take 9 Strength, and afterwards increase Agility to 15. Invest in Athletics, Weapon Master and Power Strike ( needs strength ) and nothing else. You will have some extra unused skillpoints - save them for later, you might want to get some Iron Flesh or Power Throw, or whatever else :)

As for beginner gear: Hafted Blade ( poleram ) or Two Handed Axe ( 2h ), Studded Leather Coat and a helm for 1-1.5 k of gold.

This set-up is cheap, and needs under 10 Strength, though you will be fast and deal ok damage.

That's just my "vision", others might suggest something else.
Good luck  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:21:26 am »
No reason a 1h + shielder can't also go for high athlethics.

I'd go for 6 str at first, get some nice scimitar (speed 101!) or other weapon (also consider weapons that do blunt or pierce damage, like a winged mace or a pick), then get agility up and just max out athlethics, shield, weapon mastery and power strike. Excess skillpoints go in ironflesh for a bit of extra hitpoints. Maybe convert two skillpoints, so you'd  end up with like 12 str and 24 agi.

That would allow you to get this build:
(click to show/hide)
That woudl work fine with a sword. You'd have the occasional glancing blow against heavy armor though. With this build you might switch some points from ironflesh and / or weapon mastery to shield though.

Even more extreme would be:
(click to show/hide)

You can go for 4 shield skill and the rest in ironflesh for more hitpoints or go for maximum shield skill and no ironflesh if you want your shields to break less and have better coverage. High shield skill is often worth it though.

With low strength, blunt or pierce weapons are nice, because they won't glance as much against high armored targets. Both builds have very high wpf and should be able to 'outswing' most other players, if you use a very fast weapon. Speed 99 or better recommended.

The trick with these builds is footwork. Move forward when you swing, but if you use a sword, make sure you hit at the extreme end of your weapon range to reduce the risk of glancing blows against heavy armor. And go for headshots.
Happy hunting!  :wink:

Edit: Indeed, 9 shield is probably better than weapon mastery 9. Fixed it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:37:55 pm by Phazey »

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:52:09 pm »
I'd go for 9 shield, 9 athl and only 8 wm. Better to have unbreakable shield. And you use buckler or steel shield: weapon of your choice, i'd prefer steel shield, but it slows you down. On the other hand, buckler is lightest shield, but doesnt have coverage and hp of Steel SHield.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:40:59 pm »
the lightning fast agility builds that are heavy in athletics and low in armor can be fun -- but they are not good for your first character. They are very weak and will die in one hit, while also taking several hits from you to kill an enemy.
Play around on a normal character first to see what weapon(s) you like; then build a fast character around that.
For example, say you like the awlpike. You can go 9 strength 30 agility with 10 athletics, 3 PS, 9 Weapon master.
Whatever you like.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.