Author Topic: Shields and spears - hoplite discussion  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Shields and spears - hoplite discussion
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:59:35 pm »
I'm not really sure, if that was same before but I just noticed that heavy norman shields are 2 slot now. Since this kind of information is missing on the website and it is not really wise to buy every shield to see how much slot it requires, I just want to know which shields are 1 slot and which are 2. I need that information, because it is an important information for hoplites such as my alt.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:24:21 am by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: Shields - slots
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:02:24 pm »
Any shield weight 8.0 or higher is 2 slot.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:43:28 pm »
Hmm thanks for the answer, really helpful. So, the only thing I have to learn is which polearms are used with a shield. I know:
Bamboo
War Spear
Ashwood
Red Tassel
Double Sided Lance

and some other non-important ones.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:43 pm »
Light Lance
Hello

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:45 pm »
Fauchard is also usable with shield and sheathable. It sucks against infantry (with shield, decent without), but is good against cavalry.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:47 pm »
Light Lance
Thanks callahan! I will definitely try that one too, its' stats look promising.

Fauchard is also usable with shield and sheathable. It sucks against infantry (with shield, decent without), but is good against cavalry.
Well, fauchard is in no comparision to the bamboo spear. I am only interested in decent ones, but thank you as well.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:28:55 pm »
Of course. I only mentioned it since it is by far the longest sheathable polearm usable with shield and only worth 2.5k gold.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:34:20 pm »
Oh! then it seems you forgot the bamboooo spear.
It is much more longer, and has more thrust damage, same speed. The only adventage of fauchard is, it is sheateble. Though, it fucks up the view when it is sheathed.

Hmm, does anyone know battle fork and military fork can be used with a spear? Because they look a bit short, although promising.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:53:49 pm »
You mean with a shield? Yes the forks can.

I assumed you thought they were "non-important" as you didn't mention them.
Hello

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:22 pm »
Battle Fork is actually quite good.  But any spears over 150 length get a damage/speed reduction   25/30 respectively IIRC.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:56:20 pm »
Battle Fork is actually quite good.  But any spears over 150 length get a damage/speed reduction   25/30 respectively IIRC.

ALL polearms get this reduction, not just ones 150 length or higher. However, they are longer when used with a shield. What is important about 150 length is that you have the ability to rear horses with a polearm if it is that length or longer (assuming it is also pierce damage, the horse is moving fast enough, and you hit the head)

EDIT: I have heard that shields with weight 8.0 are now one slot again, but I have not witnessed this first hand.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Shields and spears - hoplite discussion
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:02:59 am »
btw OP, norman shields & kite shields in general are TERRIBLE choice for hoplites.  You are 10x more likely to get hit on your side in melee than take an arrow in your toe...Get a round shield

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:21 am »
Double Sided Lance is great for a shield combo.  I had a MW one for a few generations.  Short enough to spinstab effectively with a shield, four swing directions when you have no shield.  Plus it looks nice:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dalfador

• Marshall
  • Renown: 898
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the White Stallion
  • Game nicks: Dalfador
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 04:55:20 am »
Any shield over 7 weight is 2 slots i believe.

Maybe some day they'll call us heroes.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:42 am »
Via Wal F4

The penalty with shield modifier is for damage, and a 30% reduction in damage seems to be accurate. All polearms are slower when used with a shield compared to when used two handed, even those without the penalty with shield modifier. The difference in time per attack depends on the weapon speed. The equations for time per attack verses weapon speed with 1 proficiency are:

Time per attack for polearms used with two hands = -0.0124 seconds * (weapon speed) + 2.3368 seconds
Time per attack for polearms used with a shield     = -0.0195 seconds * (weapon speed) + 3.257 seconds

Where those equations are coming from can be found in this thread if you are interested. The percent increase in time per attack for a polearm used with a shield compared to used two handed is:

Speed 104 Staff: 17%
Speed 98 Spear: 20%
Speed 95 War Spear: 21%
Speed 92 Awlpike: 22%
Speed 90 Bamboo Spear: 23%
Speed 75 Heavy Lance: 28%

The percentages remain constant regardless of user proficiency as the reduction in time per attack with increasing proficiency is proportional to the time per attack at 1 proficiency and the reduction in time per attack appears to be constant at ~6.5% per 100 proficiency for all weapon animations.

For more precision See Walt's complete thread  ( WITH PICTURES AND GRAPHS AND SHIZZ YO!)  http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2531.0.html