Author Topic: How to swing faster  (Read 2395 times)

Offline KPhan2121

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
How to swing faster
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:59:33 am »
I noticed in alot of my battles that my character can't swing his weapon as fast as the other pcs. When i read into this, people say u can also turn with your swings to make it go faster. So I tried to use it during duels, I dodged some guys attack and moved in for a left to right strike but in the middle of my swing I get interupted by one of the guy's attacks. Are polearms just that awesome that they can recover from an attack in less then half a second? If this feat can be replicated with 2 handed weapons, how do u do that?
My character has 17 str, 15 agi, with 139 2 handed weapons. Thanks in advance.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
Re: How to swing faster
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:24:07 am »
WPF is what affects weapon speed. The amount you have is already decent. Another point in Weapon Master would be perfect, giving you 150+ WPF at level 30 (build 21/18).

But, in the end, it's all about skills. You just need to keep practising, and learn to counter-attack fast (reflexes), where your swings do the most damage, and footwork. Like Fatal1ty (the best Quake player) used to say: practise!, practise!, practise!

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:34:03 am »
Even though when you block an attack you have an advantage over the other person in being able to attack first, footwork and choice of attack make a big difference in who hits first. If you block an attack and do a right-to-left attack when your opponent is on your far left side, it will take a while for your swing to get to them and they may be able to hit you again even though you just blocked their attack. Learning footwork is all about practice. The more you play, the better you will become.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:39:07 am »
+1
Timing, choice of weapon, turning into attacks and being in a good position, relative to your enemy. Basically, what Patoson said - practice.

Offline KPhan2121

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:47:13 am »
Thanks for the replies, but what do you mean by footwork? Can you give an example of what footwork is in mount and blade.

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:09:30 am »
Footwork is about positioning. If you do a right-to-left swing, standing to the left of your target will make you hit him faster than standing to the right of him (from your pov).

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:23:30 am »
I dodged some guys attack and moved in for a left to right strike but in the middle of my swing I get interupted by one of the guy's attacks
If he didn't connect (IE he missed completely, rather than you blocking him), then he isn't going to be stunned at all, and will be able to immediately attack again.

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:57 am »
If he didn't connect (IE he missed completely, rather than you blocking him), then he isn't going to be stunned at all, and will be able to immediately attack again.

Nice...

So if i have a heavy weapon and high STR it will make him stunned a bit longer when he blocks my attack...?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline To Kill A Dead Horse

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • May be insane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (Former) The Black Guard, (Current) Swiss AoW
  • Game nicks: To_Kill_A_Dead_Horse, GaugofWar
  • IRC nick: TKADH
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:30:09 am »
+1
"Throwing your mouse accross the room makes you swing faster"
Quote from: Baggy
If your going to be staring at your characters ass in game all day it might as well be a female one.
[21:08:47] Downloading Textures/this_is_how_children_see_gnjus_norm.dds

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 05:36:36 am »
Nice...

So if i have a heavy weapon and high STR it will make him stunned a bit longer when he blocks my attack...?
Getting blocked stuns you for a very brief moment, preventing you from immediately attacking a second time without a chance for the other player to counter. This is the primary mechanic responsible for the 'block, attack, block' pattern of fights. If no block happens, then that stun doesn't occur (assuming the attacking player doesn't hit the ground, or a wall).

This is separate from 'weapon stun', which occurs when a player with a lighter weapon blocks a held attack from an opponent with a heavier weapon (other factors such as attack direction are considered, but weight seems to be the most important one). This prevents the blocking player from countering, forcing him to block twice.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:52 am »
Hmm, since I do not know how experienced you are with the game I have to tell this; my humble apologies if that seems like an insult:
"Did you check you ping?"
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:45:10 pm »
Hmm, since I do not know how experienced you are with the game I have to tell this; my humble apologies if that seems like an insult:
"Did you check you ping?"

Sual Canner is a king / pro / godlike type but he is facing some identity issues right now.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:59 am »
Sual Canner is a king / pro / godlike type but he is facing some identity issues right now.
He was asking the OP. Also, I rarely play anymore, so I've gotten pretty rusty and am no longer good.