Author Topic: Possible Solution for the Crushthrough Problem  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Possible Solution for the Crushthrough Problem
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »
Crushthrough is a very powerful mechanic.  Many shout that it's too powerful, but we'll leave that aside.  The main issue is when it becomes almost unbeatable in certain circumstances (e.g. Hiding inside a tower with a great maul).  Now, a powerful mechanic that's really powerful in certain cases is fine.  The issue is when it's powerful to the point of leaving no hope for the enemy.  No hope, for me, means no fun.  Most other mechanics allow for some hope (e.g. jump and stab at horses with swords, an enormous capacity for blocking on most weapons, and feinting).  Here's my suggestion for giving hope against crushthrough:

Give many polearms a bonus against crushthrough.  Not enough that a polearm blocks crushthrough every time, certainly not, but enough of a bonus that an overhead great maul swing is not always a killshot.  Here are some considerations:
- polearm users block by holding their weapon near both ends, providing maximum reenforcement for their block.  This is as opposed to the standard 2h block where the weapon is gripped only at one end.
- there is only one polearm with crushthrough, the rest are 2h.  Perhaps polearm could be the anti-crushthrough class?
- many 2h also have a polearm alternate mode.  Perhaps this should get some bonus against crushthrough too (if yes, stronger, weaker, or equal to polearms?)?
- some polearms are just big metal sticks.  I can't imagine a better device for blocking crushthrough.  Perhaps these should get an exceptionally high bonus?

I've tossed this idea around in the Tsardom teamspeak and it hasn't received any crippling objections.  For the most part, people have just noted that its usefulness/balance would require careful implementation.

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
Re: Possible Solution for the Crushthrough Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:52:01 pm »
really, the only way to balance crushthrough weapons is to do what taleworlds did in the original.. keep em slow, and short, and all's well.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:14:37 pm »
Get heavy shield, like steel shield, heavy board shield and you're done with crushthrough. Now stand in front of that nerd, keep your shield up.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:18:26 pm »
The best solution was Gorath's - ability to riposte the attack.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:15 pm »
Shield skill and type of shield have nothing to do with deffense on crushtrough. If its gonna crush you have no deffense.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:40:23 pm »
Get heavy shield, like steel shield, heavy board shield and you're done with crushthrough. Now stand in front of that nerd, keep your shield up.

Last gen I used my thick huscarl shield, along with seven shield skill, to try to block overhead swings from crushthrough players (Leman, Wallace, etc.).  It never worked.

Offline Dan lol

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • ROLLINROLLINROLLINROLLIN
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: If you can't handle me at my durst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my fredst.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 10:47:17 pm »
I don't think shield skill means dick against crushthrough, only shield weight. And honestly, crushthrough aint no thang now that the people who bar maced/iron maced know its getting removed and dont crutch it anymore. If you get bonked by the long maul or great maul then you either got corner ganked (which blows but oh well), mobbed and bopped (OMG TEAMWORK) or outplayed (shame on you)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

JABONRA
His mother's asshole, I tragedy

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:53:45 pm »
Interesting idea..

I'd suggest that 2-handed weapons, when hold in pole arm mode (bastard sword, longsword, greatsword, etc) are able to block crush-through.

Not only would that give a counter balance to crush-through, but it will give some purpose for using those weapons in pole arm mode (currently there is none).

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »
hammers are pretty useful next to a corner but they can get spammed to oblivion in 90% of all other cases.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:42:47 pm »
hammers are pretty useful next to a corner but they can get spammed to oblivion in 90% of all other cases.

Yup, which is why I'm against this idea. Once the maces have been nerfed crushthrough will be fine. Chambering against crushthrough should be changed though, just because it requires quite a bit of skill.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:15:45 am »
It does make sense and I like it but then I have always been the bigest fan of polearms.

Offline EliteDragon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom (RIP)
  • Game nicks: EliteDragon
  • IRC nick: EliteDragon
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 06:27:57 am »
A shield blocks crush-through to some extent, though you will still receive a ton of damage depending on how much Strength/PS the other person has.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:02 am »
I'd suggest that 2-handed weapons, when hold in pole arm mode (bastard sword, longsword, greatsword, etc) are able to block crush-through.
Not only would that give a counter balance to crush-through, but it will give some purpose for using those weapons in pole arm mode (currently there is none).

I support this.
Possibly, add a "stun effect" for blocking such heavy attacks.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »
There already is effect of stun ingame. But if weapon like that crushes through, you dont notice that you are stunned: you are on ground anyway.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 04:31:48 am »
100% in agreement with this suggestion. Its almost realistic its logical would justify certain shorter slower polearms and the polearm modes that swords have. Do it. And on another note please dont nerf long iron mace :evil: just up its cost i can understand nerfing the barmace because of its popularity but...

PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.