Author Topic: Spearman Build  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Sarethus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Spearman Build
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »
Anyone know a good spearman build?

Also are War spear and Battle fork the best choices? since the other weapons have a penalty with shield

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Spearman Build
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »
you'll probably just want to look for a good melee/ polearm build.

Being on foot as a spearman can be hard if you are using a shield.  In groups, it can work..because while one guy distracts the enemy, you stab them in the back.  But if you are alone or isolated, all the enemy has to do is block down...and you can't hit him.

Offline Sarethus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:10:33 pm »
planning to use only my spear when i end up in that situation

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 06:10:44 pm »
There are many good spearman builds possible. A safe bet is a balanced 18/18 build but i bet 15/21 or 21/15 builds also work fine.
I'd do something like this:
(click to show/hide)

That's a really safe and solid build. Nice and fast, lotsa hitpoints, good shield skill, enough powerstrike.
Here's the other obvious builds:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

You could also try different a spearman / thrower hybrid. You could even go cav if you want with those builds. Not much you can do wrong, everything has it's advantages.

Decide wether you want to be able to move fast or hit hard. Move fast? High agi and athletics. Hit hard? More powerstrike. Pick something that suits your personal style.

As a spearman, you often play a support role in the mob. Stay near other players and use that fantastic warspear to quickly jab at players as they try to swing at your teammates or otherwise expose themselves. Warspear and Battlefork are both great, i believe Warspear is the weapon of choice for most spearmen.

A pike is also great, if you dare going shieldless from time to time. Practice the spinthrust, so you don't glance the point blank stabs.

One problem i encouter when trying to go spearmen: really fast attackers tend to facehug and spam you, making it hard to get a stab in. So in duels, the spear + shield doesn't work very well. If you are good enough, consider put that shield on your back and manual block in a duel type fight, so you have more swing directions to throw at your enemies.

Also, i've seen people walk around with shorter spears and a shield. A secondary polearm for close combat might be useful.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:32:05 pm »
Go for 15/30 10ath build like I did :D You need speed.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:53:28 pm »
yea you need more speed if you want to be polearm/shield...
thats what i am doing now, but i am an hybrid
and i use awlpike btw, because it looks cool
but its good

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:39:08 pm »
Go for 15/30 10ath build like I did :D You need speed.
You'll be sacrificing all WM and on a high-conversion build like this there is no shield skill (which is OK for pikemen), sorry to break it to you but you'll have higher dmg output with 9/30 with max WM. Let alone the higher attack speed from the WM.

> You know what, I posted that without calcing that. After calculating it -- you have no WM at all, and 1 PS at level 30?, So you are relatively slow hitting, hit for less but have high movement speed from athletics with a high requirement weapon?
But there aren't any longer weapons for support with that high strength, nor are you getting 5 PS -- not even like the 3 PS in a 9/30 or 9/27 build.
Ok, what did you do to your build Joxer? You gimped yourself on damage and speed in 1v1s AND support with longer weapon builds requiring less STR on a 10 athletics base.
I'mMissingThePoint.txt

Back to the topic, you will probably want more agility than strength for a pole arm support character as you need to be maneuverable and quick to get hits in while supporting allies.
Getting riding can be a fun side to this character rather than ironflesh -- You'll be a perfect lancer build automatically. (Assuming you go 18/18,15/21 or 12/24)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:43:49 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »
I have 5PS, 2WM, 10ath, all points in polearm  :lol:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:23:48 pm »
I was using 15/21 build. Speed is good but when you have to put your war spear inside med-armoured person 5-6 times to force him to the ethernal sleep you have to accept the idea that you are a pure supporter and disturbing class.
I would go for 18/18..and if you need a speed just lay aside shield for a moment.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:02 am »
My first 2 Generations were pure war spear, but I did not use a shield. If you're willing to forgo the shield (sub-par defence vs everything except range, not to mention reduced movement speed and attack speed), and learn to Manual block and Maneuver, I suggest this build, which I was Very successful with on my Second Generation.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

* Strength: 15
    * Agility: 24
    * Hit points: 50

* Unused skill points: 2

* Converted: 8
    * Ironflesh: 0
    * Power Strike: 5
    * Shield: 0
    * Athletics: 8
    * Riding: 0
    * Horse Archery: 0
    * Power Draw: 0
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 8

* One Handed: 1
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 173
    * Archery: 1
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

As you can see, you have 2 unused skill points which you COULD use for shield, if you were so inclined, or Iron flesh (An extremely underrated skill) for some extra hitpoints. The trick with this build is to utilize your extreme maneuverability to weave in and out of combat, dodging out of your opponent's range while moving in to strike quickly and move back out. Also, with so much WPF in your pole arms, coupled with the mini-stuns from pole arms, you should be able to strike multiple times before your opponent can react or block.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

-ZyloRage22

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:45 pm »
24/15 plus war spear is the best.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:17:44 pm »
I think that 18/18 build Phazey posted is a good choice. PS and ATH are very important for a spearman, especially if you fight without shield or in 1 vs 1 situations.
My advice: Always take a pike with you or atleast buy one to use it from time to time, it's a great weapon and you can get lots of kills with it. It's also a good practice weapon, if you can take out a shielder 1 vs. 1 with a pike, than you're a good spearman.  :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login