Author Topic: Crouching combined with Pavise shield?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Crouching combined with Pavise shield?
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:43:39 pm »
+21
Yeah I know, Pavise has been asked a lot of times, but I'd like to bring it up again.

As it is now, shields on your back don't catch projectiles. I am sure you know how this worked in history: Pavise crossbowmen had these big tower shields on their backs, facing the enemy with them while reloading, thus giving them cover.

So, I've been thinking: What about a deployable Pavise, that you can only wear on your back? It should be the ONLY shield that catches projectiles on the back, to a certain degree. I know this might be abusable, so it should have a nice huge weight and some skill investing should be required to make it usable, so no tincans would use it on their backs.

This is where I'd like to bring in two other ideas, A crossbow expertise skill, that works on accuracy/reloading, to access of heavier crossbows, and a bit lowered upkeep. Also, with a crouch system in, pavise crossbows would be actually quite useful if deployed correctly.

What do you think? It would make crossbows different, well better than the "shotgun" they are now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:34:14 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Crouching combined with Pavise shield?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »
+2
Signed.

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

Offline Andy

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Snow_King
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:12:25 am »
+1
+1

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:22:13 am »
I think it may be hard to code that for only one shield, but if possible it would be a good addition. Imo i think all shields should catch arrows when on the back, but maybe not the whole shield covers you only a smaller part of it.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:33:06 am »
The only problem I see is the abuse, which you mentioned, and the slots it could take up.

If it were 2 slots, you couldn't use them with high end crossbows.

And this crossbow expertise? Is it like power draw and power throw? Because it sounds like it does what weapon proficiency is used for.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:35:33 am »
+1
The only problem I see is the abuse, which you mentioned, and the slots it could take up.

If it were 2 slots, you couldn't use them with high end crossbows.

And this crossbow expertise? Is it like power draw and power throw? Because it sounds like it does what weapon proficiency is used for.

Yeah I agree, it should be like a siege shield, but I don't know if such a thing is even possible, I mean having it on your back as a passive projectile blocker, but when you change to it it becomes a throwing item like the siege shields. Dunno if WSE or our dev team can do such a thing.

Crossbow expertise could even be a WPF requirement to equip crossbows.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:38:11 am »
Yeah I agree, it should be like a siege shield, but I don't know if such a thing is even possible, I mean having it on your back as a passive projectile blocker, but when you change to it it becomes a throwing item like the siege shields. Dunno if WSE or our dev team can do such a thing.

Crossbow expertise could even be a WPF requirement to equip crossbows.

Mercenaries mod got it

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:35:45 am »
+1
About abusing it, Increased crossbow WPF should unlock this deployable Pavise, and make it less slots.

If you try to use it without Crossbow wpf (for an example, can be reworked if you want), it would take like 3 slots and it would slow you down way too much.

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Valknut

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Ask me ANYTHING , and I give you a potent answer.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordic Loremasters
  • Game nicks: Thorgal , Thorsson, Thursin, Valknut, Donnar
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 02:01:30 pm »
+1
Yeah I know, Pavise has been asked a lot of times, but I'd like to bring it up again.

As it is now, shields on your back don't catch projectiles. I am sure you know how this worked in history: Pavise crossbowmen had these big tower shields on their backs, facing the enemy with them while reloading, thus giving them cover.

So, I've been thinking: What about a deployable Pavise, that you can only wear on your back? It should be the ONLY shield that catches projectiles on the back, to a certain degree. I know this might be abusable, so it should have a nice huge weight and some skill investing should be required to make it usable, so no tincans would use it on their backs.

This is where I'd like to bring in two other ideas, A crossbow expertise skill, that works on accuracy/reloading, to access of heavier crossbows, and a bit lowered upkeep. Also, with a crouch system in, pavise crossbows would be actually quite useful if deployed correctly.

What do you think? It would make crossbows different, well better than the "shotgun" they are now.

+1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olnq32yEmZQ

What the video showed is IMO a bit unfair, because you have cover from to shoot at, What I suggest is the general idea what Cristo suggested instead of a deployable item, make it so that when the crossbowmen turn arround to reload their weapon they get full protection from projectiles. Also indeed make it as a bonus for high crossbow wpf and 2 Slot, so no other weapon should be carried with them as for 1 slot xbow 1 bag of bolts and a pavise shield.
Once upon the sea of a blissful awerness

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »
+1
Haha i can already see crossbowmen deploying the shields then getting kicked out of the cover by infantry who needs to hide from arrows ^^ Also that looked like something that should be implemented, archers will still easily be able to shoot above it so its not OP in any way..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:22:00 am »
+2
Well, I think making it bound to crossbow wpf, then making it 1 slot is a good idea.

Any dev response about this? At least say something please.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »
+2
Bump.

I am sure nobody cares if it's not a QQ lobby thread about polearms or 2h, but please care for once.

I know most of you only care about that but still.

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:21 pm »
Bump.
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.