16 (21.3%)
I don't like suggestion 1
13 (17.3%)
I don't like suggestion 2
5 (6.7%)
I don't like suggestion 3
10 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: A few ideas regarding weapons  (Read 2976 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: A few ideas regarding weapons
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 03:36:33 pm »
I use long spear, actually, pike is a straight up counter for my class.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 05:37:58 pm »
I use long spear, actually, pike is a straight up counter for my class.

Most use long spear, including me. Pike is very rare. Still everyone refers to ppl with long spear as pikers.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 05:46:05 pm »
Would be pretty massive change to polearms....maybe too much for this mod.

HOWEVER - I do agree on what he says about the reaction time on blocking with those things...
Would never work like that (realism), and its kinda imbalanced with their range/dmg (balance)
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:36 pm »
You do know that, with the speed of pike/longspear, having your thrust blocked at facehug range often means that you are unable to block an enemies counterattack? Not to mention that weapon speed also seems to affect blocking speed, making blocking with pike/longspear quite difficult.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 06:07:22 pm »
i'm actually more referring to halberds...guess I should have mentioned that.

pikes only stab so if you blockdown you can win 1v1....but they are KILLER support weapons because if you are against a piker you have to be blocking down within 20ft of them and so if you have another combatant against you, you're kinda screwed unless they only stab at you too :)

now, halberds seem to be able to swing around like maniacs and block fast too.
awlpikes its just the polestagger that gets me if I don't see the first stab coming :(

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:31 pm »
Not to mention that weapon speed also seems to affect blocking speed, making blocking with pike/longspear quite difficult.

Blocking speed is not affected by weapon speed, all weapons block at the same rate. Only shields have a special blocking speed.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 07:18:50 pm »
I've heard that weapon speed only effects blocking speed in that the faster the weapon, the quicker your attack animations will finish and therefore the faster you can get to a block from an attack....

But overall this fact that weappon speed/etc do not influence weapon blocking speed in any real way seems to be a factor for IMBALANCE in a lot of weapons.  A 1h sword and a massive german poleaxe can move into position to parry attacks in the same amount of time?  Hmm....

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 07:29:54 pm »
Shields are more or less useless already, no need to nerf them even more. I'm better of with just blocking manually tbh...

Suggestion 1 is pretty cool though

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • Renown: 69
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • "At the end of a smile there's a laugh and a half"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Militia
  • Game nicks: Militia_Iwarad
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 07:37:46 pm »
Shields are more or less useless already, no need to nerf them even more. I'm better of with just blocking manually tbh...

Suggestion 1 is pretty cool though

It's not about nerfing anything. It's about fixing some items and improving the realism of the mod. Why bother using swords instead of lightsabers? Why use bows instead of guns? If the weapons don't work like they should why bother calling them fancy names? True, shields are rather weak in melee but they work great against missile weapons and what I suggested would only affect this aspect. Having played almost exclusively on my shielder alt lately I can say that what annoys me most is not how every other class seems superior in melee but how some of those AGI whores running around with bucklers get to block as many arrows and bolts as I do with my board shield. I have a feeling that making shield size actually matter would make some shields viable again and give being a shielder more depth. I don't want to make some players less efficient (Well actually I do but that's not what I'm suggesting) I just want to fix some of the weapons and shields of this mod.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 08:01:52 pm »
+1
I supported your suggestions (note tham I am a piker atm) in the vote.

It's a shame how people tend to respond in this forum. Not even half of the posts here qualify for a proper answer, most of it is just flaming, trolling and one liners, where proper answers with elaborated arguments were needed, to discuss complicated matters like gameplay and balance  :(
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 08:08:13 pm »
I supported your suggestions (note tham I am a piker atm) in the vote.

It's a shame how people tend to respond in this forum. Not even half of the posts here qualify for a proper answer, most of it is just flaming, trolling and one liners, where proper answers with elaborated arguments were needed, to discuss complicated matters like gameplay and balance  :(

Amen! :) Thanks for the support. It was both appreciated and needed.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:46 pm »
I've heard that weapon speed only effects blocking speed in that the faster the weapon, the quicker your attack animations will finish and therefore the faster you can get to a block from an attack....

But overall this fact that weappon speed/etc do not influence weapon blocking speed in any real way seems to be a factor for IMBALANCE in a lot of weapons.  A 1h sword and a massive german poleaxe can move into position to parry attacks in the same amount of time?  Hmm....
This.
Slower weapons take longer to go from idle/attack to block.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 08:23:46 pm »
It's not about nerfing anything. It's about fixing some items and improving the realism of the mod. Why bother using swords instead of lightsabers? Why use bows instead of guns? If the weapons don't work like they should why bother calling them fancy names? True, shields are rather weak in melee but they work great against missile weapons and what I suggested would only affect this aspect. Having played almost exclusively on my shielder alt lately I can say that what annoys me most is not how every other class seems superior in melee but how some of those AGI whores running around with bucklers get to block as many arrows and bolts as I do with my board shield. I have a feeling that making shield size actually matter would make some shields viable again and give being a shielder more depth. I don't want to make some players less efficient (Well actually I do but that's not what I'm suggesting) I just want to fix some of the weapons and shields of this mod.

So you want shields to be weak in both melee and against projectiles? For most shields that aren't huscarl or other such sizes, you either have to keep a close lookout on your sides or your head/feet depending on if you have a round shield or kite/heater shield. I suggest getting more experience with shields in general, trying out the heaters, round shields, and bucklers yourself at varying shield skill levels (possible with STF).

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 08:40:06 pm »
So you want shields to be weak in both melee and against projectiles? For most shields that aren't huscarl or other such sizes, you either have to keep a close lookout on your sides or your head/feet depending on if you have a round shield or kite/heater shield. I suggest getting more experience with shields in general, trying out the heaters, round shields, and bucklers yourself at varying shield skill levels (possible with STF).

I want some shields to be weaker :) The board shield is all but useless at the moment because a buckler can protect your entire body from arrows and bolts if you have enough AGI. I just want  shields to make sense and be balanced. I'm not saying nerf shields, I actually wouldn't mind a small shield buff, but on this particular area shields are pretty strong and would actually benefit from some fixing. Bucklers are being used as shield, scandalous I say, and why not? They're better than some of the larger shields statwise. I just find it very sad to see how, as PTX would say, a playstyle gets fucked. The STR shielder with the huge shield, a playstyle I like and respect, gets fucked over because everyone can get as much, if not more, protection from their shields without ever having to sacrifice some of their speed.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 08:55:41 pm »
Suggestion One:
Have you ever fought against that high "stab"? It's a pain in the ass to get face-oneshot by a pike 2 inches away because of it (not like they don't do it already) I've never really liked the animation or all the annoying poking it could bring while fighting.

Suggestion Two:
I like.

Suggestion Three:
I'd like to not get busted in the kneecap by an arrow, lowering my shield only to get shot in the head. It would certainly bring in a heater/kite/board crowd, and less away from the round shields, but I'm certain lots of people would not like it.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!