Author Topic: What is a good 1h build?  (Read 8737 times)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: What is a good 1h build?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:31 pm »
it's easily affordable.

Ofc it is :)

I'd say it is one of the most efficient, effective and cheap builds. Especially, if you know how to feint and swing with your sword. You just have to play carefully with your shield: remember, it is slower than others, so if you want to feint, you have to be sure that you are not fighting lots of fast people.

But anyway, you can also just hold block most of the time and just attack from time to time, and your shield will live really long ;)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 08:18:10 pm »
Ofc it is :)

I'd say it is one of the most efficient, effective and cheap builds. Especially, if you know how to feint and swing with your sword. You just have to play carefully with your shield: remember, it is slower than others, so if you want to feint, you have to be sure that you are not fighting lots of fast people.

But anyway, you can also just hold block most of the time and just attack from time to time, and your shield will live really long ;)

I wouldn't call it cheap :P

Steel Shield 10422
Side Sword 8922
Byrnie 3705 (heaviest body armour)
Nordic Fighter Helmet 1775
Mail Gauntlets 3427
Leather Boots 363 (I refuse to wear strange boots)
Total: 28614 gold

Perfectly possible to make money with that loadout and it's about the best defense you can get with 9 strenght. Not sure if you should bother with armour at all, since you will get 1 hit killed anyway. It might take an extra arrow to kill you or something. Not sure.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »
Perfectly possible to make money with that loadout and it's about the best defense you can get with 9 strenght. Not sure if you should bother with armour at all, since you will get 1 hit killed anyway. It might take an extra arrow to kill you or something. Not sure.

Armor still prevents grazing/light hits from dealing damage to you. With 9 athletics you'll be able to avoid a lot of swings, or move into a range where they're out of their weapon's sweet spot and are likely to bump. A little bit of armor turns those 10-20 damage grazing swings to zero damage and prevents minor damage like this from adding up on you to be a problem. Don't underestimate it :)

Also, I might consider using a steel pick with this sort of build. You'll easily control range and don't need to worry about crushthrough, so the short range isn't a problem for you.  With the lack of PS you'll get a lot more effective damage with the pick.

I think with 3 PS you'd bump a lot, even with a MW side sword. With great footwork and timing your speed bonus could make up for it, perhaps, but the steel pick would be a lot more forgiving of 3PS bumping swings.

Personally, though, I agree with the 21/15 7PS 5Agi skills  build template, with either 7 IF or 7 PT, depending on which you prefer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:39:04 pm by Tenzek »

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »
3PS? Steel Pick? While it needs 12 str? Impossible, you got to give up 27 and go for 24 agi.

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:35 pm »
My mistake. I've never had a build with such low strength that I had to worry about the requirement on a steel pick, so I had just made the assumption it was light enough to be used in such a build.

How do you deal with the problem of having virtually no killing power against armor if you're not at full speed?

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »
9 athletics fix the problem. Youre gaining full speed in about 1sec to 0,8sec.

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »
Sure, but it doesn't take anywhere near a second to swing your weapon, and you're going to run into many situations where there isn't room to just constantly keep running at full speed while fighting. I think that this build is designed to have a lot of trouble with the currently popular high strength tanks, as they will take many hits to take down and will only need one swing to land to overkill you by a lot of HP.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »
Sure, but it doesn't take anywhere near a second to swing your weapon, and you're going to run into many situations where there isn't room to just constantly keep running at full speed while fighting. I think that this build is designed to have a lot of trouble with the currently popular high strength tanks, as they will take many hits to take down and will only need one swing to land to overkill you by a lot of HP.

That's indeed it's weakness. The high agility build will most likely perform better on the battle/duel servers than on the siege servers.

My 24/12 build I posted is  made more for the siege server.

Armor still prevents grazing/light hits from dealing damage to you. With 9 athletics you'll be able to avoid a lot of swings, or move into a range where they're out of their weapon's sweet spot and are likely to bump. A little bit of armor turns those 10-20 damage grazing swings to zero damage and prevents minor damage like this from adding up on you to be a problem. Don't underestimate it :)

All 2h/polearm weapons will kill you in 1 or 2 hits regardless of hitting out of their sweetspot. They will not bump on 3.7k mail armour.

I think with 3 PS you'd bump a lot, even with a MW side sword. With great footwork and timing your speed bonus could make up for it, perhaps, but the steel pick would be a lot more forgiving of 3PS bumping swings.

That's why I would prefer the stabbing weapon, with 9 athletics you can jump back and run in with a thrust for high speedbonus. You have to be really carefull with sideswing though. Right to left swings will bounce often.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Dualhammers

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:28 pm »
Thanks for this guys!  A really pleasant surprise to see three pages today.  Nice to have people offer advice in the newbie section rather than insult me for not searching and just living with whatever unhelpful information already existed.

Once I retire my 2H I will probably try one of these builds.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 11:59:18 pm »
Strength   24   
Agility   9   

One Handed   124   [7 WPF cost] 
Two Handed   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Polearm   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Archery   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Crossbow   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Throwing   1   [1 WPF cost] 

Ironflesh   8   
Power Strike   8   
Shield   0   
Athletics   3   
Riding   0   
Horse Archery   0   
Power Draw   0   
Power Throw   0   
Weapon master *   3

And keep pumping STR
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »
Maybe I can plug in here:

I'm getting close to lvl 31 now, and I wonder what I should heirloom. My current build is 2h, but the next one will be a 1h (too much rage with all the throwing and shooting around).

Now I'm thinking about preemptively buying a good 1h sword and heirlooming that for use next generation.

Maybe a Longsword, can be used 1h and 2h (I guess it's slower than 98 in 1h mode though)?
Or a Knightly Arming Sword, or Nordic Champion's?

I've heard that the sidesword is supposed to be nerfed in the next patch, and knowing my luck the patch would come out a day after I got it, lol.

And this is the kind of build I have in mind for the 1h (want to use heavy armor, so I'm saving the Ironflesh this time)

------

* Strength: 15
    * Agility: 24
    * Hit points: 50

* Converted: 6
    * Ironflesh: 0
    * Power Strike: 5
    * Shield: 6
    * Athletics: 7
    * Riding: 0
    * Horse Archery: 0
    * Power Draw: 0
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 8

* One Handed: 174
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 1
    * Archery: 1
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

Input greatly appreciated!

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 01:22:41 pm »
And this is the kind of build I have in mind for the 1h (want to use heavy armor, so I'm saving the Ironflesh this time)

------

* Strength: 15
    * Agility: 24
    * Hit points: 50

* Converted: 6
    * Ironflesh: 0
    * Power Strike: 5
    * Shield: 6
    * Athletics: 7
    * Riding: 0
    * Horse Archery: 0
    * Power Draw: 0
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 8

* One Handed: 174
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 1
    * Archery: 1
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

Input greatly appreciated!

My advice:
Don't use heavy armour with high agility. It will slow you down so much you won't take much advantage of your high agility.
If you do want to use heavy armour regularly, get IF. It really helps when you have high armour.

The build looks great, personally I would take 8 athletics and 7 WM.

For swords: There are plenty of threads about, it's mostly a matter of preference if you take anything other than a sidesword. Each has it's pro's and con's.
I do think the knightly arming sword starts out at -1 cut compared with the NCS, but at masterwork they both have the same cut damage with the knightly arming sword having much higher thrust damage.
Not sure about that though.

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: my secret ;-) Only 4 chars now : 1h/shielder , 2h , xbower , archer. The other 25 chars are deleted.
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 01:25:01 pm »
My perfect 1h shielder:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 9
Agility: 27
Hit points: 44
Converted: 2
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 3
Shield: 9
Athletics: 9
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 8
One Handed: 173
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 1
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

Why perfect? With steel shield, youre immune to:

- crushthrough, because weight of your shield doesnt allow anyone to crushthroughblock you;
- hits of weapons without "bonus against shield";
- arrows are not going to destroy your shield untill about 1000 of them hit it;
- bolts same, + bolts cant pass steel shield, even from triple heirloomed sniper with triple heirloomed bolts. NEVER;

Usually, your shield won't break, because of above. if it comes to axes: you can play offensively against them and "facehug" them with 9 athletics - if someone is going to break your shield with axe, he should have at least 8 PS - so approx. 5 athl. you can use this advantage! also, why at least 8 ps? because:

and since you have +90% to shield resistance from shield skill 9, we can do some maths:

69shieldresistance*190%~~131

Shield resistance works as armor resistance (body, head, leg), so:

from best shield cutter weapon:

47, cut*2=94

Shield can "negate" dmg: at least 50% of resistance, approx 100%

so:

max dmg: 94dmg * (8*13PS)% * 100% - 131 * 50% ~~ 192dmg - 65res(minimum!) ~~ 126dmg
Its the worst scenario. Your Steel Shield *unheirloomed* has 225 hp points. Again, its the worst scenario: full power of your opponent dmg (it can be rolled to only 50% if enemy has bad luck, max to 100% of dmg if he is lucky, and dmg is calculated this way: dmg*(psamount*8)% * rolled %(from 50 to 100)

OK, we have worst scenario. Now if youre lucky:

min dmg: 94dmg * (8*13PS)% * 50% - 131 * 100% ~~ 96dmg - 131res = shield doesnt receive dmg. From shields cutter. Think about regular weapons without bonus to shield. They suck against you. :)

PS I dont include speed bonuses in my maths, because its senseless: 13PS guy wont be too fast, for sure. And you can backpedal to decrease his axe dmg!

Oh, and i should add one thing. I think, weapons have to do at least 1 dmg to your shield, for sure. So regular 2 handers will do 1dmg/per hit to your shield. As for arrows, im not sure. Actually, why would you ask about arrows? almost noone owns 3 quivers of regular arrows (28arrowsperquiver*3=84), and normal, "wise" archer uses 2 quivers of bodkins (16arrowsperquiver*2=32). 32 dmg lost, wow. Also, remember: you have 9 athletics, you can get archer before he shot his fifth arrow at you.

Personally for me this build is a little too slow with the heavy steel shield ( which is expensive too , high repair cost ) , and 3ps are a little too weak against high armor players. Especially with cut damage.
4ps is low too , but i thought about taking the long espada eslavona , which is flexible in what damage you choose. cut/pierce against low/medium armor. mainly pierce against high armor about 55-60.

So for me a build like this ....

Lvl 30 :

Strength: 12
    Agility: 24
    Hit points: 51

Converted: 2
    Ironflesh: 2
    Power Strike: 4
    Shield: 8
    Athletics: 8
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 7

One Handed: 164
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

... is fine for me.

Steel shield is too expensive and weak against shield crackers ( 225 hitpoints are too low for shield fighters ) .... and slow .... and heavy .... 4 points against it ...
The 410 hp heater shield is cheaper , faster , lighter and has more hitpoints ( better against shield crackers ).

Edit :

@ Bosco : I think Spawny´s advice is good. In this case 8 Athletic is more important , than 8 wm. And about the sword i have written something in my post too ... Long Espada Eslavona has long range for 1h , but 98 speed isn´t too slow. the 28 pierce can be good against high armor players. Especially if you heirloome it and get more and more damage ( pierce too ).

And Bosco ... is yours a lvl 30 or 31 build ? Looks like 31 for me ;-) I made the same mistake at the beginning , because with lvl 31 you will heirloome most of the time ( at least 3 times ) . You play lvl 30 a long time. Lvl 31 ... i just retire ;-)

Edit 2 : And Spawny´s second advice is right too : Don´t use heavy armor , with a high agi build, because you have a shield. Don´tget hit is the advice ;-) Be fast ! Shielders are at the front. At the front we die anyway. But take some with you. ;-)

A little advice from me , for the armor thing : Use a light armor like padded leather ( 4,5 weight ) , or Gambeson ( 2,5 weight ) and combine it with Mail Gauntlets ( 0,5 weight , but +6 body armor ) and use a medium helmet like nordic helmet , or nordic huscarl 38-40 armor. With this armor you are not too slow, if you get a medium shield, with high hitpoints ( around 400 ). But it should be a fast shield 96+ . Don´t use too heavy boots. Try to strafe and dodge if archers try to shoot your feet.

It´s a funny build and playstyle. :-)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:07:34 pm by Sean_Drew »
Sorry , my english is bad ... ;-) I do my best :-)

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 01:53:23 pm »
Thank you Spawny and Sean, I'll take your advice into consideration!

I'm an armor whore, so I'll see that I get some ironflesh up in the mix.

Wrt Athletics:
With my current Athletics   5 on 2h and wearing Transitional while carrying 3 weapons + shield, I still outrun most people with light armor.  :o
Running speed with shield up is set by Shield skill, right?

However, my attack speed is mediocre with 154wpf, and I thought that depended on the wpf, hence going for 8 WM?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »
21:15
Steel pick
1 hit as many mofo's as you want.

Agi build should take warhammer. Blunt is great against all and knock down will win you alot of fights.

A more balanced build should use swords IMO
Turtles