Author Topic: So what the heck is Darkfall  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
So what the heck is Darkfall
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:50:54 pm »
And why the heck does almost everybody here play it?

I feel SO uninformed right now xD So I wiki'd it and I'm still pretty lost how people from Darkfall play MnB

Brought this up because I see questions to the BkS crew if they're "the same people from Darkfall" all the time, and it confuses meh.

For the most part, I like a couple of the BkS guys, and then there are they really abrasive ones. I'd like see them in Strat when it comes up! It'll be cool!

Clearly I had a point when I made this thread. I think it was something to do about "What's Darkfall"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:33:27 pm by Kalam »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rhuell

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: Most names that start with Rh, and a couple of others.
Re: So what the heck is Darkfall
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:03:21 pm »
i was wondering about this as well. It seems like everyone in team speak has played the game as well.
I say fuck darkfall, it can go burn.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »
An overrated MMORPG.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:28:42 pm »
afaik its where married men go to have gay secks

Offline Rhuell

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: Most names that start with Rh, and a couple of others.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:32:50 pm »
Darkfall is for all of those people who....

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »
DARKFAIL is a game with a long grind scripted characters raising stats doing stuff like swimming into a wall to raise stats/skills (I have seen all sorts of cheating there)

Graphically the world kinda interacts like a free roam m and b battle with castles small village

U fight.kinda twitch based but completely OP magic that requires an amazing gold and time grind(the time part was usually scripted as well)

All sorts.of cheats related.to server boundaries(@duping, never knew how to do it)

I was brought in by my big bro "Nox"(a true legend of internet game development) to run a kingdom he had usurped(I was always the diplomatic/leadership type)

It was cool leading armies to take castles, by end of beta I controlled like three major castles and numerous hamlets, game turned to pay per month I left(Nox left much earlier)

Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »
I was fallowing Darkfall's development back in the days, and was really looking forward to play it. But the launch was one giant fail.
Yes, yes, lots of games had a rough start, and then came back on their feet. But Darkfall team was deliberately misinforming potential customers, and only about 1/3 of the stated features were implemented on start. Darkfall on release was like a paralyzed dog, just crawling pitifully on its front feet. And still does. Meah... Just read their official forum. You will get the idea, he-he.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:00:38 pm by Armpit_Sweat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:18 pm »
Oh yea u gain skills by doing, so block.an attack slowly gain block skill

And stats raise by associated skills, so like mine a rock raises mining and strength

I guess it wouldn't take alot of imagination to see why scripting/macroing were so popular, I got some of the population in my kingdom banned(anyone I saw cheating I /admin)

When I get off work I can post screenshots

Offline Rakaz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:16 pm »
Darkfall is a Sandbox MMORPG.  Basically it adds in skills with the combat.  Instead of just being able to swing you could set it up so when you change weapons it will do a whirling attack as well.  Also, in Darkfall you have to grind for months building your skills to be able to compete.  There is magic in this game, which makes it less fun imo.  People just spam their heals and nukes all the time.  That is why I left the game.  At least in M&B there is only archery lol. 

Another important aspect in Darkfall is that it is a lot like Strat, but in real time.  People can always come in and attack you unannounced, so you better have people there to protect your guilds town stone.  (They cannot take your city without going to war with you).  Overall, the game was very fun when it came out 2 years ago, but after about 6 months it got bland with all the macroers and max stat players transferring to the North American server (Which started after the European sever), so they had the advantage of almost twice as much HP.  It takes months to macro up those stats, so it made the field less even.

Hopefully, this clears it up a little.

-Detrik

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:46 pm »
Darkfall is dead. Stop bringing it up.

Offline Search

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:18:37 pm »
          The game was GREAT at the beginning when it was just melee/archery. Groups of 5-8 would just roam the open world looking for pvp. But then people started finding out that the aoe nukes do just as much dmg and even more than archery. Those groups were no longer roaming but sitting in their cities with guard towers "Macroing" their characters in the hopes of one day possibly being able to be as good as the original melee/archers. Well, by the time people started coming back out of their cities(now in groups of 10+ for safety) the small group pvpers had already left the game.

Then came the "alliances." The scared players (like ranged players in cRPG. lol j/k but srsly)  that invested so much time in their chars now wanted to protect the cities they were macroing in so they began allying up with anyone they could to create "zergs" of players that would come to the cities defense incase someone would seige them. This then forced the smaller clans that were still playing the game to "ally" up as well in order to have any sort of competitive pvp. Again, this led to just stale pvp that only happend when one alliance would seige another so it was huge 80v80 battles that lagged the server to shit and became a slideshow of action. More an more people slowly quit the game when they saw the attitudes of these "hardcore" players that were too scared to lose a fight/city.

Darkfall could have been an amazing game if it were not for the balance issues and the general population being scared at all times. It is still the only game that had my adrenaline pumping every fight. If you died the guy who killed you could loot EVERYTHING you had and keep it for himself. You could attack anyone at anytime you pleased. But with the whinning of players the devs added guard towers to every hamlet/city(that made it impossible to sneak around and fight outnumbered) so that the scared players can continue to sit in their cities in peace.

p.s. Archery in Darkfall was more FPS like than Warband and because of that there was a huge skill-cap for the archery user in the beginning, but again, because of the aoe magic being easier to hit(skill-less) and doing more damage archery was left behind and it all went downhill from there.

That was Darkfall

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 07:20:15 pm »
As someone that sold their char for over 2000$ USD I can tell you Darkfall was a super fucking awesome mmorpg in it's first 6 months.  It progressively got worse as time went along.  Today it's no where near the same game as it when it started.  It was a first person mmorpg that had a 3rd person view like that of M&B.  It was skill based not level based.  Clans could capture and build up hamlets and cities.  It was a game of alliances, spies, massive wars, open pvp, full loot, and on place was safe!  To be out with like 2 hours worth of decent loot then you get jumped it was an the cheapest high you can get, aaahhhh adrenaline my friend.  That made it physically addictive for me.

I remember one day when we crashed the server with a few different massive wars going on.  There was about 700 people fighting just on our side not sure how many we were fighting but it was alot.  But on the other side of the world about  1000-1300 more people were fighting their own war.

If only the Devs at Aventurine played their own game and didn't give in to the minority (bitchy lil kids with too much time that only spend their time posting on the forums and whining) it would still be a great game.   Too bad they caved into the minority and screwed it up.  I feel  DF had the most potential of any  mmorpg since Ulitma Online back in  1997-99.

Aventurine, The company that made it was from Greece and they start developing it 03' it wasn't launched till what early '09 if my memory is right?  It was called vapor ware for many years.  Anyway it's so dead there now.  I am pretty sure Aventurine is still in massive dept.  I think they deserve it though they fucked up what coulda been the best mmorpg to have existed since UO or say Dark Age of Camelot.

What happened DF is almost exactly what on a smaller scale happened to crpg(b/c crpg has smaller player base).  chadz, who is awesome btw and I appreciate all that he does, made a retirement system that me and other people tried to tell him from about 3 weeks after he made that it would eventually break the game.  He took too long to come up with his next BIG patch.  People had already invested alot of time in to the game only to have their chars nerf'd badly.  Many people left and you will never see them again.  They still love the game and a few play native.  Most are so pissed and have so little faith that chadz can even keep the game from being broken that they will never return to crpg :(

Also alot of people feel that once chadz thinks his system is favoring grinders, aka  people that love his game and play it alot, he will just do something to screw them over.  Whether it's resetting gens or taking away 1/3 of your looms again not really sure but it's bound to happen watch.  Anyway I am going off on a comparison tangent sorry.

DF does have 14 day trail going right but I think you will find the game to boring and the world way to big too be so empty.  I think so many play M&B b/c they wish DF melee had this system.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:42:38 pm by Felagunda »

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:17 pm »
          The game was GREAT at the beginning when it was just melee/archery. Groups of 5-8 would just roam the open world looking for pvp.

5-8 really I remember I started in April and we went out in studded with R20 weapons like 20-30 deep hitting up player cities all day long.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:01 pm »
Good synopsis of the game,  me and nox both felt it had the most potential since early UO(before the multiple ways they raped the ability to kill other players) then for a moment we thought mortal online was(but that's another story)

original UO beta and early release was still my favorite of all MMORPGs, lose everything when u die to whomever.picks your corpse, or hell kill a guy take keys to his house and rob that too, or cut his body into pieces lol

It actually was not the first or last MMORPG I beta(or alpha ) but it was one of the only ones I paid anything for after beta

You know in beta Everquest had non consent pvp....

From my 20 plus years online(from Tradewars early BBS games)  to the latest betas....

The biggest problem imo is devs listening to whiners for how they should make their game

It never fails that giving in ruins your game, One of the first ever true MMORPGs Dark Sun Online:Crimson Sands was completely ruined by a whine induced quick fix(my name was Goliath if anyone played this back in early nineties, such a legend now in Dark Sun all halfgiants are now called Goliaths)

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:15 pm »
5-8 really I remember I started in April and we went out in studded with R20 weapons like 20-30 deep hitting up player cities all day long.

You may or may not have been in a zerg clan. Just sayin.