Author Topic: Regarding "Bastard" 2-Handers  (Read 2460 times)

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Regarding "Bastard" 2-Handers
« on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »
+19
I'll keep it short: Buff the "Bastard" 2handers' 1h mode to something respectable. I think that it's silly that, oh say, the Longsword can be used in 1h mode but is next to useless when used that way. Also, allow these weapons to take the currently used wpf in regards to repairs. As far as I know, using the "Bastard" weapons in 1h mode doesn't make the game calculate its repair chance based on its 1h wpf. (Would also be neat for 2h used in pole mode to calculate repair chance based on pole wpf.)

Would be great for weapon and build variety.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding "Bastard" 2-Handers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »
+2
Make them 1 slot...

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:16:52 pm »
+9
There should be SOME penalty, but the 30% or whatever to speed and damage is pretty ridiculous. Also, reduce the penalty to spears when used with a shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:24:04 pm »
+4
Lower (or remove) the 30% speed penalty, keep the 30% dmg penalty.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »
+2
There should be SOME penalty, but the 30% or whatever to speed and damage is pretty ridiculous. Also, reduce the penalty to spears when used with a shield.

I'm not suggesting removal of the penalty, just a lessening of it. I also agree in regards to the spears.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:42:17 am »
I like what I see in this topic so far. Morningstar (I think) with shield would be a beast even with a 30% damage reduction as long as speed stays intact.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:18:15 am »
+1

The only thing I would add is that half swording should use 2h wpf. Going to pole arm wpf makes no fucking sense at all on any level, you have to invent reasons like, "your using the pointy end".

The whole point is you should change to half swords in tight situations, like corridors or melee cluster fucks but going from 130wpf to 1wpf combined with the massive damage nerf just makes it pointless. It's a great idea, its such a shame its being completely wasted. Oh yeah, bring back HS over heads... :|
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:43 pm »
Morningstar is useless in 1h mode with a shield. Your swings take like 2.5 seconds to complete which leaves you open to spam.
Bastard weapons need to lose something for gaining a shield, but speed is too important imo.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:02:12 pm »
+1

I'd also like making secondary polearm mode of greatswords more useful, now people are fighting it like Conan, while fighting with holding the blade was common in medieval duels, because you can't really cut through plate, so that technique was used to knock over the enemy. A bit more speed or dmg would be enough, because range will be still shit.
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 04:04:57 pm »
+3
Bastard sword needs to be 1slot. Halfsword in polearm wpf makes sense to me: its a different technique, not to be used by everyone.
I don't know enough

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:33:56 pm »
+1

The only thing I would add is that half swording should use 2h wpf. Going to pole arm wpf makes no fucking sense at all on any level, you have to invent reasons like, "your using the pointy end".

The whole point is you should change to half swords in tight situations, like corridors or melee cluster fucks but going from 130wpf to 1wpf combined with the massive damage nerf just makes it pointless. It's a great idea, its such a shame its being completely wasted. Oh yeah, bring back HS over heads... :|
^
Typically, people who were trained in using Zweihanders and Greatswords and whatnot used halfswording quite often, and was considered a standard skill.

Also, Halfsword overheads using the new NW stab animations, that'd be super duper neato humpty dumpty doo.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:09:35 pm »
Make them 1 slot. These weapons are not supposed to work well 1 handed on foot (because of their length), they are for cavalry (because of their length).

Lance + shield + Bastard sword = Mounted knight. Realistic, not op. They can't switch to the sword without losing the lance.

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »
+1
Make them 1 slot. These weapons are not supposed to work well 1 handed on foot (because of their length), they are for cavalry (because of their length).

Their length? The bastard sword is shorter than the long arming sword and nordic champion's sword, and the heavy bastard sword's length is the same as the arabian cavalry sword. They should have the handling to match.

Even if they balanced the bastard swords to be equivalent in speed and damage to comparable 1-handed swords, they'd still take up 2 slots vs 1 slot, which balances them pretty well in my opinion. You'd also have to put some skill points into shielding, and you'd have damage and speed penalties anyway if you didn't put any point into 1-handed proficiency.

These swords are decent middle-of-the-road two handers, and I'd love to see them being used as decent middle-of-the-road one handers too. They're cool, historically popular weapons that need some love from the cRPG community.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 09:41:06 pm »
Their length? The bastard sword is shorter than the long arming sword and nordic champion's sword, and the heavy bastard sword's length is the same as the arabian cavalry sword. They should have the handling to match.

Okay.

Even if they balanced the bastard swords to be equivalent in speed and damage to comparable 1-handed swords, they'd still take up 2 slots vs 1 slot, which balances them pretty well in my opinion. You'd also have to put some skill points into shielding, and you'd have damage and speed penalties anyway if you didn't put any point into 1-handed proficiency.

Why should they be more slots than the nordic champion, arabian cavalry, and long arming swords? Balance them by gold cost in this case, not be changing their function/role as a versatile side arm. If they are two slots, they can't be used with a shield and lance, which is lame.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:30:03 am »
Remove their 1h/2h mode and switch it to the fighting axe/grosse messer one, with lower stats when held in 1h, maybe make it 1 slot, but then you'd have to increase the price a bit for versatility.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art