Author Topic: balancing cav  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: balancing cav
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »
+1
Well I don't use couching too often myself... The hits connect weirdly and it took quite long time for me to learn it. Still I find it more comfortable to use regular lance attack in most situations.

However I disagree with Arabian Warhorse part. I think the requirement should stay at 7 riding. I like it the way it is now. If you invest 7 points to riding you should be able to get your hands on more manouverable horse than the average joe. Arabian riders with ps 7 all over the place if the req is lowered to 6, and I don't see that desirable...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2012, 03:27:24 am »
Well I don't use couching too often myself... The hits connect weirdly and it took quite long time for me to learn it. Still I find it more comfortable to use regular lance attack in most situations.

This. Couched lances do hit people when they should not in some cases, but if it's a rainy day and you ate tomatoes yesterday morning you will inexplicably miss and see the virtual lance virtually phasing through your virtual enemies without doing any virtual damage.

Btw gurnisson, if I only count my good rounds I probably reach skyhigh k/d too. But as a cav you also have to fight on maps which are impossible to play with your horses, or against players that aren't complete noobs or have eyes and ears, or brains. Killing 50 peasants is easy, killing anyone in a group of decent 2h is only possible if you bore them to death.

Cav is the weakest class for 1v1 combat and that is final. It is autofucked by half the playerbase (poles and 2h that know how to use their wasd cluster), autofucked by most of the active archers and all throwers and of course you don't really stand a chance against HA or HX that aim for the horse. The only guys you have fair chances against in a duel are other melee cavs or 1h in wheelchairs (wearing heavy armor + str build)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2012, 04:08:01 am »
I dunno.. I find it pretty simple to go against any melee that doesn't have greatsword length reach or above.. From what I've experienced, you need to be vastly more skilled/experienced with an agi build to dehorse a decent cav with a shorter weapon. I use the regular lance, too.

Cav is only weak in 1v1 against obvious counters like the >160 length spears and some of the 2hs if your horse is at full health. When I am on a destrier, I am not afraid of any single archer or thrower, especially since I have a shield anyways. I make sure speed bonus isn't in effect when my horse gets hit, so it only takes ~20% damage if archer, 30-40% if thrower. I only worry against 3 or more archers, or 1 very skilled archer and a helper ranged user. If I guess right for which way they dodge, it's usually an instant kill with my 8PS and instant acceleration+speed bonus lance stab within 4 meters (still move a little slow, but fast enough to get some speed bonus).

Even so, cav can't ask to be great at everything when they're already so great at what they do.  Want to be better at 1v1? Something needs to be done about being the best backstabbers in the game, then, and they're already decent at 1v1.

Cav is very easy to use and extremely easy to hybrid with only 1-2 levels of devotion. Even cav who are not good against other cav can avoid them if they play smart. Just fight near your enemy's spawn and once the two largest blobs clash, help pick off those slightly isolated from the main group(usually ranged)/bump at the main group if possible. You can play on your non-gimped melee build on "bad" cav maps (most of them are still useful for ~2-3 horses on a team), and do exceedingly well on cav maps which appear quite frequently.

I also rarely feel punished much when I get dehorsed. In ~50 body armor, 1 person can probably get me to half health or something if I started off full health if he's lucky. I think cav should be punished much more when stopped and/or when dehorsed. This will allow weak support units like hoplite and agi pike users to actually counter a horse by themselves more efficiently. If your horse gets stopped, you shouldn't be able to move, attack, or get off your horse for a tiny bit longer. There were times where I was stopped and simply stabbed the guy in the middle of his attack which killed him or let me get away, and most other times I can get off my horse and kill the guys attacking it.

I also think the huge leg damage should go away, but make the head more vulnerable, so teamhits don't kill your horse as often, but horses will still maintain a proper weakness.

You should also lose a proportionate amount of health when you get dehorsed comparable to your speed upon your horse's death. If you were stopped, negligible damage (From 0 to maybe 1/10 or 1/8), but if you were going full speed, ~20-40%. Just enough to get you wounded if there's no melee around to hit you when you're down, or if you were dehorsed by a guy already preoccupied with other players. Damage may also be mitigated by leg armor, that would be pretty cool too.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2012, 04:19:11 am »
What weapon, armour and horse are you using? What's the upkeep on all that?

Large Warhorse, Mail Shirt, Mail Mittens, Splinted Leather Greaves over Mail, Nordic Fighter Helmet, Heavy Lance, Elite Cavalry Shield, Quarter Staff. If you think that's too expensive then I can inform you that I had a lancer alt before making my main one. It was a terrible 18/15 build with horse archery, power throw and other shit skills and I used a rouncey or a destrier with light leather or light mail. I could still easily top the scoreboard. Why? Well, most of the time when I end a round alive as cav I have most, if not all of my health left, and that makes heavy gear often pretty useless. If you don't do risks you can still kill tons and assist your teammates along the way whatever shit gear you use (except maybe the sumpter, I can accept bad cavalry performances from a sumpter horse :))

(click to show/hide)

Are you really stating that bad players can do well with other classes but not as cav? It's as cavalry the bad players really have a chance to make a difference if they have some basic awareness and decision making, even if they're bad at so many other sides of warband's combat. You have a class that is able to pick his every fight, able to one-hit kill with an unblockable attack, able to outreach most weapons in the game and flee from uncomfortable situations at any give time, and that's not good enough to weigh up for its con, the repair bill? You could also call being one-hit a lot of the time a con, but speed-bonus is a double-edged sword, both a pro and a con depending on how you use it. That you do bad as cav because you're playing reckless should not be decisive for the balance. I've never stated that cavalry is overpowered, it isn't, but stating that it's the hardest class for bad players to play is just bullshit, sorry. I've seen players being hopeless on foot but still being a huge danger on horseback because of the nature of the cavalry class and what one can make out of its pros.

Btw gurnisson, if I only count my good rounds I probably reach skyhigh k/d too. But as a cav you also have to fight on maps which are impossible to play with your horses, or against players that aren't complete noobs or have eyes and ears, or brains. Killing 50 peasants is easy, killing anyone in a group of decent 2h is only possible if you bore them to death.

Well, I've counted all rounds since reaching level 30, and yes, that includes the bad ones. I only drop my horse in a few maps that makes it almost impossible to be at horseback, where I rather go with a pike. I've killed tons of good players, even the best ones are not aware at any given time and as a lancer, you should be there in a flash if you see behavior that makes you think that his focus is elsewhere. I would never hunt a peasant, that's just wrong and just wasting time. As a cavalry player being busy with low priority target to boost your kills is a joke of a decision, when you're a game changer while hunting high priority targets. As for peasants, I stab the ones that move in the path I'm travelling, that's it.

In a group of decent 2Hs? Wait till they engage someone and gets too busy looking out for their backs, or you can use maneuver and timing to outreach them with your heavy lance (if you don't use a heavy one, then it gets harder, I agree :P)

Cav is the weakest class for 1v1 combat and that is final. It is autofucked by half the playerbase (poles and 2h that know how to use their wasd cluster), autofucked by most of the active archers and all throwers and of course you don't really stand a chance against HA or HX that aim for the horse. The only guys you have fair chances against in a duel are other melee cavs or 1h in wheelchairs (wearing heavy armor + str build)

No, it's not final. 1H cav and 2H cav is pretty bad for this, I can certainly agree on that part. Shielders are pretty easy prey for those to classes though with the nature of the bump-slash, but going for a 2H or a polearmer with 1H cav or 2H cav is certainly dangerous, and way too risky for my playstyle (at least most of the time :P)

As for being a lancer, I keep away from people with long awlpike or longer weapons (though I wouldn't attack a 2H or another polearmer head on in the start of a EU1 round, that's too risky, it's more of an end-game playstyle but it's not that hard..) I would say you're at an advantage against a shielder and definitely against crossbowmen, but if you're going by people of the same skill-level I guess you can say that you're at a disadvantage vs. greatsword users and the users of long polearms.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:20:37 am by Gurnisson »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »
Large Warhorse, Mail Shirt, Mail Mittens, Splinted Leather Greaves over Mail, Nordic Fighter Helmet, Heavy Lance, Elite Cavalry Shield, Quarter Staff. If you think that's too expensive then I can inform you that I had a lancer alt before making my main one. It was a terrible 18/15 build with horse archery, power throw and other shit skills and I used a rouncey or a destrier with light leather or light mail. I could still easily top the scoreboard.
At nearly 60,000, that's loss making levels of equipment which you can only afford if you have a money sink or are willing to alternate with periods of playing as a peasant on the siege servers so it won't spoil your K:D. I invite you to try a few days on an rouncey or a courser instead of your usual horse.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »
Did you even read what I wrote? I said that i've used rouncey with only light leather as armour (and an awful build) but that the nature of the cav class still makes it easy. Also, I don't lose money with my standard gear, I make money
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2012, 07:31:50 am »
Everyone buy a Triden/Pitchfork/Scythe/bamboo spear. See how many cav appear in the first round. If there are many, bring pointy thing. Doesn't matter what your class is, so long as you have 2 slots available, bring it. When you get to the fight dump it and fight, if your not in the fight keep pointing it at the bad men on horses.

Then there will be plenty of things to pick up and scare the bad men on horses with and it will stop the initial whoring because the team will be a porcupine.

--------------

Good build + rouncey makes money. I was using a side sword with round cav shield, White Tunic over Mail, mail gauntlets and a gotland helmet and I was making plenty of cash. You just need 6-7 riding to make it a fairly good horse.

--------------

Oh yeah, make great lance one slot so I can use a morning star as well and make it break after 3 hits.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:35:23 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:36 am »
Don't get what's so weird about the couch. To really get a feel for it just use first person, did that for some time before internalizing how to aim it exactly.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1123
  • Infamy: 576
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »
Everyone buy a Triden/Pitchfork/Scythe/bamboo spear.

Sorry but with 1 wpf in polearms I'm not efficient with those weapons like I'm with my German GS.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2012, 05:13:01 pm »
Cavalery is too easy,it need to be much harder. Everyone now rides a horse,and it is pretty easy to make hybrid that is good on foot and good on horse.
Make
Strength: 18
Agility: 18
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 6
Power Strike: 6
Athletics: 6
Riding: 6
Weapon Master: 5
Polearm: 148

and woila you have fucking hybrid that owns everything. Good on horse,good on foot,fast hitting. Do you need anything else? No.
Riding should require more then 3 agility points,maybie 4  to stop this builds. I was lance cav and it is too easy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:14:04 pm by Mlekce »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »
Everyone buy a Triden/Pitchfork/Scythe/bamboo spear. See how many cav appear in the first round. If there are many, bring pointy thing. Doesn't matter what your class is, so long as you have 2 slots available, bring it. When you get to the fight dump it and fight, if your not in the fight keep pointing it at the bad men on horses.

Then there will be plenty of things to pick up and scare the bad men on horses with and it will stop the initial whoring because the team will be a porcupine.

--------------

Good build + rouncey makes money. I was using a side sword with round cav shield, White Tunic over Mail, mail gauntlets and a gotland helmet and I was making plenty of cash. You just need 6-7 riding to make it a fairly good horse.

--------------

Oh yeah, make great lance one slot so I can use a morning star as well and make it break after 3 hits.
This does not appear to add variety.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2012, 09:22:06 pm »
make rouncey/palfrey/steppe/desert 6riding, destriers/coursers/arabians 7 riding, armoured horses 8riding.

add in "weight limits" for each horse so for example if you are riding a courser the total weight of your equipment can't exceed say.. 20? (this is just a random number but you get the idea)

make melee weapons do the same amount of damage to the whole horse as they currently do to the legs and nerf ranged damage to horses by atleast 1/2.

ez.

That's freaking retarded. 8 riding for armored horses? Goodbye knights on chargers, hello pansy spam ninja's on chargers. You might as well just get rid of barded horses at that point.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:24:38 pm by ArchonAlarion »