Author Topic: balancing cav  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
Re: balancing cav
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 08:10:28 pm »
make rouncey/palfrey/steppe/desert 6riding, destriers/coursers/arabians 7 riding, armoured horses 8riding.

add in "weight limits" for each horse so for example if you are riding a courser the total weight of your equipment can't exceed say.. 20? (this is just a random number but you get the idea)

make melee weapons do the same amount of damage to the whole horse as they currently do to the legs and nerf ranged damage to horses by atleast 1/2.

ez.

Some interesting ideas, if they were to increase riding which isnt a bad idea i think it should be 1 up from the current levels to help maintain balance between horses. Some horses have higher riding to compensate for them being better than other horses (courser/arabian). The weight limit is interesting aswell, although the vast majority of cavalry do not wear heavy armor, its mostly light or medium. Also heavy horses really need to be made viable again the leg nerf is really killing them.

What REALLY needs to be done here is to make cavalry more challenging than it is. And im referring to lancer cav mainly. The problem is that its too easy to hit someone with a lance on horseback. Hitting someone should be made much more difficult. Its just not hard to stick your lance out and ride straight into someone, couching is difficult as it incorporates more complex mechanics to pull off, but just stabbing someone is easy.

So how do we make that harder. You could make couching easier and make it so that lancer cav always had to couch. Make it similar to couching but changes in terrain dont cancel the couch as alot of maps are very uneven and maybe even reduce couching refresh time and nerf couch damage a little (and lancers usually "couched" in medival times so why not in crpg, the lances are long and heavy enough that it would be hard to use them on horseback the way they are used in crpg). When your couching its harder to control the spear, you cant quickly turn it in another direction and it just doesnt have the control of a regular lance thrust, this is the kind of thing we need to go for.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:16:49 pm by Lemmy_Winks »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 08:31:19 pm »
Some interesting ideas, if they were to increase riding which isnt a bad idea i think it should be 1 up from the current levels to help maintain balance between horses. Some horses have higher riding to compensate for them being better than other horses (courser/arabian). The weight limit is interesting aswell, although the vast majority of cavalry do not wear heavy armor, its mostly light or medium. Also heavy horses really need to be made viable again the leg nerf is really killing them.

What REALLY needs to be done here is to make cavalry more challenging than it is. And im referring to lancer cav mainly. The problem is that its too easy to hit someone with a lance on horseback. Hitting someone should be made much more difficult. Its just not hard to stick your lance out and ride straight into someone, couching is difficult as it incorporates more complex mechanics to pull off, but just stabbing someone is easy.

So how do we make that harder. You could make couching easier and make it so that lancer cav always had to couch. Make it similar to couching but changes in terrain dont cancel the couch as alot of maps are very uneven and maybe even reduce couching refresh time and nerf couch damage a little (and lancers usually "couched" in medival times so why not in crpg, the lances are long and heavy enough that it would be hard to use them on horseback the way they are used in crpg). When your couching its harder to control the spear, you cant quickly turn it in another direction and it just doesnt have the control of a regular lance thrust, this is the kind of thing we need to go for.
Well, I think the problem is stabbing is easy and couching is hard. There has to be a medium ground :D

Well as a horse archer myself, I need to remind that you should consider all types of cavalry when trying to rebalance horses. The catagories are:
-Lancer
-Onehander
-Twohander (very same as one hander)
-Horse archer
-Horse Crossbowman
-Horseback thrower (eliminated by natural selection)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 08:53:54 pm »
Were not balancing horses were balanceing cavalry. Horse archers are terrible if anything they need a buff not a nerf, horse xbows are annoying but stil not that efective, no need for a nerf, Two hander and one hander are challenging enough i think, no real need for a nerf, lancer is very easy and OP so it needs a nerf.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 08:59:42 pm »
+1
Cav wouldn't be a big deal if most players weren't dumb.

Usually one team will have most of the cav. The other team then charges out into the middle of a field over and over again and dies.

If you have good awareness and make use of the terrain there's not much cav can do.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 11:01:50 pm »
Cav requires minimum skill investment from my experience. I am good on foot and can ride top tier horses like the destrier.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 11:21:09 pm »
-Horseback thrower (eliminated by natural selection)
FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M STILL HERE!!!
I NOW CHALLANGE YOU TO A HORSERANGED FIGHT TO PROVE THAT YOU'RE A HORRIBLE PERSON ONCE I IN A SHORT TIME REACH LEVEL 30!!!
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 12:28:41 am »
Were not balancing horses were balanceing cavalry. Horse archers are terrible if anything they need a buff not a nerf, horse xbows are annoying but stil not that efective, no need for a nerf, Two hander and one hander are challenging enough i think, no real need for a nerf, lancer is very easy and OP so it needs a nerf.
Yah, but balancing horses is a way of balancing cavalry considering horses are what make them different. You got it.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M STILL HERE!!!
I NOW CHALLANGE YOU TO A HORSERANGED FIGHT TO PROVE THAT YOU'RE A HORRIBLE PERSON ONCE I IN A SHORT TIME REACH LEVEL 30!!!
My most humble apologizes sir. I accept your challenge. Come to a native duel server and we duel as nord scouts. Ah, we still didn't do that dadao duel as well. Well, maybe we can make an arrangement someday.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Pappus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 12:39:49 am »
+1
We could approach the couching closer to the real deal, where you can only couch for a really short duration let's say 2 seconds, after that the aiming degrades by a lot (we could mimic that by uncouching).

Although I am not a cav anymore I feel, that cav really is in a bad spot.

I could go 1/10 when I go for aware targets and if I go for unaware & boring I would pull 16/1...

What I really wanted was a fighting chance even against aware targets. 1h guys sidejumping and onehitting you/ your horse, hell even great mauls can pull it off. 2h already feels like a counter to cav.

In my opinion everything other then throwing weapons/spears should be vulnerable to cav. You don't like it? Get a spear protect the flanks, bottlenecks.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 12:59:31 am »
Yah, but balancing horses is a way of balancing cavalry considering horses are what make them different. You got it.

Nerfing horses would hurt all cavalry classes when the lancer cav are the only overpowered cav class and the only ones that should be nerfed.

And to Sans point i agree. I basically copied Sans fighting style (high atheletics/armor with steel pick and heavy sheild) and im very effective on foot, maybe even more effective when i was a pure two hand build. In theory a dismounted cav should not be so effective.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:01:15 am by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:07 am »
+2
Nerfing horses would hurt all cavalry classes when the lancer cav are the only overpowered cav class and the only ones that should be nerfed.

lol
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:38 am »

And to Sans point i agree. I basically copied Sans fighting style (high atheletics/armor with steel pick and heavy sheild) and im very effective on foot, maybe even more effective when i was a pure two hand build. In theory a dismounted cav should not be so effective.
Who said nerf? I just used the word "balance" and you referred them as "nerf" for the second time. Dude are you nuts :D

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 01:14:49 am »
Who said nerf? I just used the word "balance" and you referred them as "nerf" for the second time. Dude are you nuts :D

At first when i read this i thought you were trolling, but then i read your signature. To someone who knows English very well like myself, it seems that you are implying that we make horses even better given you disagree when i assumed that by balance you meant nerf (I thought this as you have been talking about making cav worse). All you can do is make them worse or better (nerf or buff) so what do you mean? Not to mention in the first post were you quoted my paragraph of text you basically disagreed with what i said and then said the exact same thing i said in my post. Its ok you'll learn to read and understand English someday.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:17:58 am by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:14 am »
At first when i read this i thought you were trolling, but then i read your signature. To someone who knows English very well like myself, it seems that you are implying that we make horses even better given you disagree when i assumed that by balance you meant nerf (I thought this as you have been talking about making cav worse). All you can do is make them worse or better (nerf or buff) so what do you mean? Not to mention in the first post were you quoted my paragraph of text you basically disagreed with what i said and then said the exact same thing i said in my post. Its ok you'll learn to read and understand English someday.
I never said I have disagreed with you. I did not say nerf or buff either. You said that cavalry should be more challenging and has to rely on couching more often. As it using a big sized lance for thrusting very frequently would realistically tire the lancer. You also mentioned that the problem is stabbing is easy and couching is more difficult. Then I say, there has to be a middle ground where you can make a mixture of both. No worse or better, just different.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:35 pm »
+1
Said it before I'll say it again...

Rider should take heavy fall damage on being dehorsed.

When you are riding around and somebody chops your horse legs out, you got flying and have an 800 lb horse tumbling with you, you are basically dead.

This would add some risk to riding horse, cuz currently it's just a huge power enhancer with basically no risk and very little tradeoff skill/proficiency wise.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »
Said it before I'll say it again...

Rider should take heavy fall damage on being dehorsed.

Make the rider died when dehorse, but buff horse back to where they were before