5 (22.7%)
No
9 (40.9%)
Only add wind
6 (27.3%)
Only change gravity
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Wind & Gravity  (Read 1150 times)

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
Wind & Gravity
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »
Since in the future the devs might be able to change hardcoded values, would it be possible to add to the game mechanics?
I've always wanted to see something like wind to make archery harder. On map start there could be a random roll that determines wind strength and direction and all arrows are then affected by this. So if you are shooting sideways to the wind on long range you have to lead much on a short range a little and if you then turn around and shoot directly into the wind you don't have to lead at all but your range is shorter. You could have a windrose display with exact values or just have some general info ("the wind is strong and comes from over there") and let the archer figure it out himself.
Also gravity seems a bit to little for me on projectiles.

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
Re: Wind & Gravity
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:23:00 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:39:34 pm »
This would be a good alternative to nerfing archery.

May your thread be more successful than mine:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,148558.msg3574345.html#msg3574345

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »
While this would be interesting, this is impossible with the game engine. Also I would only support this if the trees also blew with the wind.

As for nerfinh archery, considering how sensitive projectiles are in this game to speed changes for damage influence, do you really want an archer to shoot With the wind?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »
This would be a good alternative to nerfing archery.

May your thread be more successful than mine:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,148558.msg3574345.html#msg3574345

Well, doesn't look like it. I guess too few people are playing sailing sims. ;)

While this would be interesting, this is impossible with the game engine. Also I would only support this if the trees also blew with the wind.

As for nerfinh archery, considering how sensitive projectiles are in this game to speed changes for damage influence, do you really want an archer to shoot With the wind?

If you go with the wind the arrow would still be slower than point blanc (since unless it's a hurricane wind speed is lower), it would only increase range before damage lessens.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:59 pm »
Did you say that from the perspective of realism, or the perspective of this game engine that we are forced to use?

If you start adding in-game vectors for wind then you will increase arrow speed if traveling along that vector, and this game has proven that even a small increase in speed lends significant amounts of damage increase.

If we were to add wind direction that slows down or speeds up the deceleration of range while also adding a deviation sideways without adding or subracting speed from that, then it is impossible with this game engine as well as being overly-complex from an engineering perspective.

EDIT: As for real life, shooting with the wind actually does help as much as shooting against it hurts you. However this is not as noticable due to the extremely fast arrow speeds in real life. Since in cRPG the arrow speeds are snail rounds, any change to speed is going to be extremely noticable, and again, this means that the damage is going to be significantly effected. cRPG uses snail rounds, thus any change in velocity will be very apparent.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:41:09 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:48:04 pm »
Wind wouldn't affect trajectory to any significant degree so it would be lots of coding for tiny effect.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.