Author Topic: Build Choice  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Weewum

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Build Choice
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:44:55 pm »
Recently, I have been having trouble choosing a build, I narrowed it down to Melee cav (Sword, shield and lance/spear) and Crossbow cav(Light Crossbow 2 steel bolts and sword).

Please respond with what is better and not which takes more skill.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Build Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:47:16 pm »
Please respond with what is better and not which takes more skill.

Main issue with this is that which is better depends on personal playing style. Most people do have more fun with Melee Cav though, but personal preference will vary. Melee Cav will be more ninja or striking suddenly against targets before moving on and is a good skirmish play, where as Crossbow Cav will depend on more of a harassment mentality.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:24 pm »
+1
Don't go for heavy cav, they are useless and your horse die in 1-2 hit and you pay 4000 upkeep. Go for destrier, best horse for 1 handed cav

Offline Weewum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:32 pm »
Main issue with this is that which is better depends on personal playing style. Most people do have more fun with Melee Cav though, but personal preference will vary. Melee Cav will be more ninja or striking suddenly against targets before moving on and is a good skirmish play, where as Crossbow Cav will depend on more of a harassment mentality.
Main reason I said that was so people wouldn't go "Crossbow cav is noobish!!1111!!!!!!1 it take nu skeel!11!!11!!!!!!"

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:32 pm »
Main reason I said that was so people wouldn't go "Crossbow cav is noobish!!1111!!!!!!1 it take nu skeel!11!!11!!!!!!"

My point still stands though, neither is really better, they just fit different roles.

I personally find a melee cav to be more of a romantic idea then crossbow, so I would go melee.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:52 pm »
+1
If you are EU go crossbow.  If you are NA go melee cav.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Weewum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »
Are there any good hybrid builds for the two? If so can you post it?

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40:02 pm »
Don't go for heavy cav, they are useless and your horse die in 1-2 hit and you pay 4000 upkeep. Go for destrier, best horse for 1 handed cav

Cuz someone thought it would be fun gameplay wise to add no leg armor to heavy horsies.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:06 pm »
Cuz someone thought it would be fun gameplay wise to add no leg armor to heavy horsies.

It is fun.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31:11 am »
do 18/18 or 21/15, 4 shield skill, max ATH, PS, Riding, use 3 WM, 110 1hand wpf 80-90 polearm wpf, rest (3-5) in IF

there, you have a great lancer/1hand cav build that is just as strong of a sword and boarder/hoplite/whatever polearm you want build in melee.  Melee cav and melee infantry is more fun, imo, then ranged classes.

Xbow cav is kind of hilarious, but unless you are already a skilled horseman and have good decision making you will be relegated to shooting a few horses here and there until you get wrecked by lancer cav or enemy ranged.  I think being a better horseman (you get good awareness fast from melee cav) would make you enjoy ranged cav more on your next generation.  Your score as melee cav is almost guaranteed to be much better as well, and the speed bonus makes even non loomed melee weapons hit very hard on horseback.  Non loomed bows and bolts are fairly weak when mounted.

If you want to hybrid 1hand and xbow cav together, you will need to sacrifice bringing a shield to bring more ammo and be lighter on iron flesh and stuff.  You could still just do 18/18, max Riding, Athletics, HA (you get 3 at 18 agi), WM, and Powerstrike.  This gives you 2 left over, either for shield or IF.  You could have 130 xbow wpf and 105 1hand wpf with this build easily.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:35:30 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:23 am »

It's not like those models HAVE leg armor.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 12:01:54 pm »
Begin as melee cav to get the hang of cav maneuvering, then if you feel like it try the xbow cav, you need a bit more awareness if you are gonna be twisting in different directions or stopping for shots. If you want to get lots of kills I'd advise melee cav, lances are very deadly, compared to the best you can reload on horseback being a masterwork light crossbow (which does the same damage as an unloomed crossbow) plus masterwork steel bolts. That crossbow setup will be nice, but obviously has nowhere near the power of an arbalest.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »
I choose you!!! squirtle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *throws poke ball*
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »
It's not like those models HAVE leg armor.

Should technically still be able to add leg armor even though they're not ''visible'' per say.

I mean you pay 65k for a PCharger which can be killed with 3-4 pitchfork stabs with my 1 PS 3/39 STF char.

I mean...that's BS. Reason i respec'd from heavy cav.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 07:14:34 pm »
Melee cav is a lot harder to play but also potentially a lot more rewarding.  That is, when you start out you're more likely to go 0-5 (horse keeps getting killed / you keep mistiming your swings) but in the long run you can end up going 20-0 with quality kills the whole way.

As crossbow cav you'll have a much easier time starting out but the potential for excellence is never going to be as high as melee cav.  You can snipe peasants, run down foot crossbows and foot archers and harass armored infantry but your "time to kill" one player can tend to be quite large because you generally can't risk making close passes -- a dehorsed melee cav turns into heavy infantry but a dehorsed horse crossbow is just a peasant with a crossbow, so you don't want to risk it.

Consequently, melee cav is generally a bigger asset to the team because they will risk making close passes to knock down / slash enemy infantry while the horse crossbow can't/won't.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde