Author Topic: Tabletop Role-Players  (Read 5674 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
Tabletop Role-Players
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:56 am »
As a certified tabletop role-player, I can assure you that Goretooth is not one of us.

^
Indeed.

But I haven't bothered since 3rd edition became the standard.  Had a Shadowrun and Rifts campaign goin for a while after that though.

So are you one? And if so, what do you play?

Personally, I've been writing  and playing variations of the Unisystem for the past few years. Before that, it was loads of the usual D&D 3.5e and AD&D 2.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Tabletop Role-Players
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:26 am »
Chainmail, D&D, Revised, 2nd ed, some 3rd edition.
Rifts, Palladium and it's entire system.
Gurps
Shadowrun

Those were the main systems I played for a long period of time as something to do when we didn't feel like spending money to go out.  Get some beer and booze and just sit around laughing like hell until 4am.  Good times.  Sadly the computer gaming age of RPG's has killed off the concept of "Role-playing" for me as it just seems absolutely silly online.  Same with the larpers.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:53:38 am »
yea chainmail!, lol I used to play D&D when I was super young, then AD&D and 2nd edition, I've played alot of different table top games especially old battletech, still do play more "complex" board games like avalon hill wargames(anyone know of Up Front? lol)

I still have rulebooks for 1st, 2nd, alot of battletech and a whole bunch of old dungeons and dragons metal figurines(the kind they don't make anymore, like hundreds and about every "major" kind of chromatic/metal dragons), when we played D+D we'd always use the miniature rules for combat so you could have stuff like getting hit by an allied mages fireball, line of sight, better flanking etc.
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:07:53 am »
yea chainmail!, lol I used to play D&D when I was super young, then AD&D and 2nd edition, I've played alot of different table top games especially old battletech, still do play more "complex" board games like avalon hill wargames(anyone know of Up Front? lol) 
Oh shit, if we're including non "RP" table tops then I played battletech, star fleet battles (star treck based battle tech style game with starship squadrons and territory conquest), and a bit of warhammer 40k.  Warhammer didn't last too long though because it was just SOOOOO many figures that I didn't want to invest alot into it for a quick fun game.  :)  Giving away your age if you admit to knowing about chainmail.  lol

I still have rulebooks for 1st, 2nd, alot of battletech and a whole bunch of old dungeons and dragons metal figurines(the kind they don't make anymore, like hundreds and about every "major" kind of chromatic/metal dragons), when we played D+D we'd always use the miniature rules for combat so you could have stuff like getting hit by an allied mages fireball, line of sight, better flanking etc.
Indeed, we always used the miniature rules as well for more tactical combat.  Just gave the combat so much more depth when the spell chuckers had to think about aoe and friendly fire.

Offline Hardeknud

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:37:44 am »
Dope 2nd ed collection, sizable 3rd/3.5 just downloaded some 4ed pdf's and I'm not impressed.
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • You guys are dicks, and I'll drink to that.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: VicTheBear
  • IRC nick: VicTheBear
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:47:29 am »
Anyone want to buy my Eldar? They're all brand new except one or two I put together, I already sold the ones I painted/assembled.

Sadly the computer gaming age of RPG's has killed off the concept of "Role-playing" for me as it just seems absolutely silly online.  Same with the larpers.
Also, I didn't know you could play that online...
or do you mean larp seems silly?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:49:30 am by VicTheBear »
--victoria

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:56:49 am »
I sense a comeback to tabletop.  Unrelated to this post I was googling info about all of this earlier today.  Also saw that microsoft has a new tabletop system called surface 2.0 and wondered if boardgames and D&D type games especially will all make a MAJOR comeback now.  Odd to see this thread after thinking about this stuff just this morning though I had brought up convo about tabletop ingame which may have spurred it, seems a few peeps are on the same track of mind.  I myself never tried tabletop yet but feel it has its relevance for sure.  2011 will see its rise.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:02:03 am »
Indeed, we always used the miniature rules as well for more tactical combat.  Just gave the combat so much more depth when the spell chuckers had to think about aoe and friendly fire.

My cheap student ass has always used hand drawn maps with chess pieces, legos, etc. Though, recently, I've been exploring Gametable and the like to play with friends I've moved away from.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:28:23 am »
Played a bit of 2nd edition D&D with some friends.
It was pretty fun messing around :P
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »
Also, I didn't know you could play that online...
or do you mean larp seems silly?

I meant that larp seems silly.  lol

Not a hater, good on them if they're having fun and whatnot.  To each thier own.  But from my viewpoint, this is a bit silly as far as the role-playing goes.  The whole fighting itself, probably fun.  Pretending to be count arwen dupois esquire from muddleburg?  Silly.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:31 pm »

Not a hater, good on them if they're having fun and whatnot.  To each thier own.  But from my viewpoint, this is a bit silly as far as the role-playing goes.  The whole fighting itself, probably fun.  Pretending to be count arwen dupois esquire from muddleburg?  Silly.

I have never larped but I have hit people with baseball bats and fought with practice swords and katana (for drunk fun even real swords with hospital consequences lol)

Fighting people with weapons and safeguards sounds kinda nerdfun but what always gets me is when some guy is throwing wads of paper while shouting "lightning bolt" or whatever

That cracks me up
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59:06 pm »
what always gets me is when some guy is throwing wads of paper while shouting "lightning bolt" or whatever

That cracks me up

They do that? Seriously?

Anyway, I am so insecure about my image that I don't tell anyone but my wife that I play video games, so larping/boffing is definitely out of the question. But, I've always secretly had an urge to go pick up a nerf bat and join them on the field. Smashing people around really does look fun. Good for those who can have their nerdish enjoyment without fear of the social repercussions.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 12:58:54 am »
They do that? Seriously?

Anyway, I am so insecure about my image that I don't tell anyone but my wife that I play video games, so larping/boffing is definitely out of the question. But, I've always secretly had an urge to go pick up a nerf bat and join them on the field. Smashing people around really does look fun. Good for those who can have their nerdish enjoyment without fear of the social repercussions.

Me too exactly, but lately I just don't care as much, or at least am trying not too.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 06:15:26 am »
They do that? Seriously?

I have no idea where this 'fear of social repercussions' comes from. I know that it didn't seem to affect anything in high school. The only crowd who found things like that weird and acted accordingly were the church crowd.

Offline Draedan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • wat?
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Draedan_PxC, Heavy_Set_PxC, Pure_PxC, GoreHead_PxC
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:32:34 am »
this
Lol I loved the sound effects they added.
In chadz We Trust.
Hint #4: You can invite more men to your party at the tavern
(click to show/hide)