Author Topic: Day Z mod for ARMA II  (Read 153039 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z mod for ARMA II
« Reply #720 on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:08 pm »
I think the game actually uses realistic moon cycles. So NV goggles are practically useless for about 15 days a month as you can see clear as day in the night for that time with HDR on VH and gamma on full.

Except when it rains. NVG= no rain. Rain is the devil.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #721 on: June 06, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »
Yup that's right it does use realistic cycles. Quite cool.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #722 on: June 06, 2012, 09:17:18 pm »
Lee enfield is one of the best pvp weapons. Those noobs can shove DMR/m1a4 up their asses. Sure it aggroes everyhing within a 5km radius but hey: i call it a tradeof.  :lol:
4 kills and didnt even take their l33t weps ill stick to my enfield tyvm. Got put down by a camper on the green hill when i went up the radio tower.  :(
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:44 pm »
Lee Enfield is one of the worst pvp weapons simply because of the aggro range.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #724 on: June 06, 2012, 10:56:15 pm »
A live player is more dangerous than any ammount of stupid zeds. You just need to run into a building/woods after your shot and kill them. Its super easy even with a makarov (when a server doesent lag   :lol: )
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:42:38 pm by Fluffy_Muffin »
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 06, 2012, 11:19:09 pm »
Yes and what happens if you miss/there's more people? Now you have a trail of zeds after you and you can't shoot anymore and you're a free kill to any other player.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #726 on: June 07, 2012, 01:51:05 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 07, 2012, 01:55:12 am »
That's why when I hear shooting without knowing where it comes from I always pretend I have them in my sights ready to pull the trigger.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 07, 2012, 03:27:59 am »
Remington 870 is an awesome gun. Didn't realise it was this good.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
Re: Rocket at E3
« Reply #729 on: June 07, 2012, 06:33:44 am »
+2
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/rumour-dayz-creator-instructed-to-work-on-mod-full-time-by-bohemia
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3481582&perpage=40&pagenumber=101#post404348191

Hey, I was at E3 today and met Rocket, the developer of this mod. I talked to him for about five minutes about the mod, so I'm just gonna go through how the conversation went.

I first addressed him by saying that I love his mod, and that he should never stop punishing the carebears who want it to be made into a 'fun' game. He laughed, clearly loving that sentiment. I first asked him if he was going to get a team to help him out. He responded that Bohemia Interactive is very supportive of games that don't really have any marketability or exposure, and is willing to take risks in this way on games that may or may not clearly make money right away. I agreed, considering that Arma is basically a simulation engine and not necessarily a game. Because of this attitude, he said, he has been instructed directly to stop his work as a multiplayer designer so that he can focus exclusively on Day Z, and that he believes that Day Z is the first step towards Bohemia gearing up to make it into a full standalone game out of recognition for the opportunity to make something very different and the clear interest people have in it. He went on to say that it being a standalone title is important if only for the sake of consistency and ease of play, as mods are not the most stable or easy-to-use games, and that the only determining factor for the mod's future is the stability of the unpredictable fanbase.

I told him that the fans are playing it in droves, and with great fervor, even in spite of its clearly-alpha state; in fact, on that note, the forums are blowing up with "WHERES ROCKET" and bug reports while he's here at E3. He laughed and said he's been trying to not visit the forums while he's gone cuz he knows he's gonna get pissed. I then went ahead and asked him if he thought the mod would end up on Arma 3. He said he'd already sort of ported it to try it out (!!!), and that it works great. The main reason he "released" Day Z so early as an alpha was to allow for it to be stress-tested, as it is primarily a network-based game. At this juncture, I asked if he saw it ending up with more players-per-server in the future. He said DEFINITELY, that it's been tested internally and he thinks it could handle between 100-200 players easily (!!!!!). The thought of the anti-bandit rage this would induce gave me a semi. Anyway, he said that the engine was developed for such incredible strains, and that such numbers are in fact a natural fit.

I asked him if he thought he'd be doing away with 'meta' elements, such as server-wide chat and in-game player lists. He said not only is he doing this for sure, but that he's only waiting on the next beta patch of Arma 2 and then it is definitely happening. This excited me greatly. At this point, opportunely enough, I noticed his shirt. He said he'd had a bunch made, but that they didn't ship in time for the show so he had a small batch printed up when he got here so he could wear one. Said he took the idea from 4chan. I asked him if he'd let 'them' know about it yet, and by 'them' that I meant the entire internet. He said no, so I said "well shall we?"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:28 am »
+1
If that's true then amazing

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #731 on: June 07, 2012, 09:43:00 am »
I rather like to see this keeping the mod-status. Otherwise it's gonna end up being casualized as some many other demanding games.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #732 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05:53 am »
+1
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/e3-2012-dayz-from-the-showroom-floor/?utm_campaign=PC%20Game%20News&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Stuff they're currently working on seems to be to expand the map and make it bigger, as well as increasing server slots and make every building enterable.

Down the road they're talking about having only one server and one ridiculously big map, taking the EVE-online way.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 07, 2012, 10:20:03 am »
+3
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/e3-2012-dayz-from-the-showroom-floor/?utm_campaign=PC%20Game%20News&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Stuff they're currently working on seems to be to expand the map and make it bigger, as well as increasing server slots and make every building enterable.

Down the road they're talking about having only one server and one ridiculously big map, taking the EVE-online way.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 07, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »
+1
I rather like to see this keeping the mod-status. Otherwise it's gonna end up being casualized as some many other demanding games.

Unlikely considering the nature of arma 2 in the first place. Plus it's current popularity clearly proves that's not what a lot of gamers want.