Author Topic: Kicked for breaking opponent ladders??  (Read 6684 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: Kicked for breaking opponent ladders??
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 05:05:06 am »
It's not inability to moderate, it is a 'grey' area of the rules regarding ladders. Nobody has come up with an adequate answer to the obvious silliness of scenarios involving breaking ladders.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline TommyHu

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 05:25:11 am »
I don't agree with making rules/laws that are put into place just as an attempt to stop the real issue, which is delaying in this case.  Obviously if people are actually delaying (not engaging) targets from the rooftop then, yes, kick them. But if people are actively engaging targets from a place you cant currently don't have the means to get up to, warrants any admin action. Rely on your ranged units to take them out, bring a ladder or last but not least, get out of sight and force them to move. 

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 05:29:28 am »
Welcome to the world of ladder bullshit.  Since day 1 of their addition to the c-RPG battle servers and ensuing asshattery (ladderpaulting, teleporting glitch, ladder "art" and I use the term very loosely, and other assorted bullshit) I've campaigned to have them removed from the field in anything except strategus/siege battles where they have a legit purpose.

Of course everyone just LOVES ladders and the idiocy that can be caused by them so you might as well just grumble about them while accepting that they're apparently here to stay.  Of course it really fits in with the general attitude of "How can I be a bigger bitch than normal" mindset that much of the community has overall.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 05:29:49 am »
I don't care about revenge, or what have you, I care about people displaying an inability to moderate correctly being allowed to continue to do so.

Regardless, it's your call.

And so do I that's the bigger picture that can affect us all.

IMO ladders should be removed from battle only if admins can't just come to terms on what the rules about shit should be.  It would just make things so much simpler in general but in a way would be kinda sad to see them go.  If only we could get some clear rules for delay and leech and admins that followed them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:39:35 am by Felagunda »

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »
I don't agree with making rules/laws that are put into place just as an attempt to stop the real issue, which is delaying in this case.  Obviously if people are actually delaying (not engaging) targets from the rooftop then, yes, kick them. But if people are actively engaging targets from a place you cant currently don't have the means to get up to, warrants any admin action. Rely on your ranged units to take them out, bring a ladder or last but not least, get out of sight and force them to move.

That's the problem.

When ranged units get to an otherwise-unreachable-position and start shooting, even if you break down the ladder and run out of sight and "force" them to move, they won't. That moves us on to "ranged units" -- I shouldn't have to be ranged. #3, I shouldn't have to carry a ladder just to kill campers.

If you're the last alive, and you're somewhere that *requires* a ladder to get to and there is no longer a ladder, shooting at the enemy isn't acceptable as far as the definition of "engaging" goes because most of the time the enemy is unable to reciprocate fire as well due to the extreme terrain disadvantage. People who are in unreachable positions need to retire to a "normal" position on the map if they're the last alive, period, otherwise it just gets stupid with delaying/nonsensical camping.

Offline Bravadu

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 12:56:06 pm »
I don't think ladders should be banned on battle servers, but if anything be allowed only to reach places that are otherwise reachable. (using as siege shield is fine too)

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 05:22:23 pm »
many times happens that defenders try to break the ladder they put themselves as soon as they see enemy using it to climb up to them. breaking their ladder by yourself forcing them to jump down and take a damage and fight is a valid tactics for me. why should you be arsed to risk your life just because they put a ladder on some high roof?
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »
Ladders seem to require constant moderation to avoid abuse, and there's a huge gray area surrounding them and their destruction.  There are times where you "could" get to a place if you jumped rooftops and stuff for like 5 minutes, so since the person is technically reachable do they need to come down if the ladder they used to get up is destroyed? 

I think Battle would be a lot better without ladders.  Save them for sieges.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 07:19:54 pm »
I posted this exact scenario about three weeks ago on the NA server rules thread, as a "what-if". I wanted clarification because I knew this would happen. As soon as admins started kicking roof campers, not for being the last alive, but for being in inaccessible areas, the best tactic was to destroy their ladders. It was only a matter of time before someone was kicked for destroying the ladders.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,776.msg48575.html#msg48575

Unfortunately, no one clarified the issue.

The whole trolling excuse is just that, an excuse. People call each other friends, bundle of stickss, wishing them death by fire, etc on a daily basis, without getting kicked. I think if that's ok, telling someone they need to get down because their ladder is gone, is ok.

I also vote to get rid of ladders. If thats not possible, it should be a requirement that all mappers either make their roofs inaccessible or provide permanent access to them in some way.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuckĀ’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:28 pm »
People call each other friends, bundle of stickss, wishing them death by fire, etc on a daily basis, without getting kicked.

Not when some of us admins are on.  Though muting happens rather instantaneously nowadays from a few of us.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 07:48:50 pm »
Wow tell me about it.  On an NA map earlier this week we kept having a team full of archers volley us from rooftops repeatedly.  I finally had enough and smashed their ladder - I know the rules and knew the grey area would point to the simple fact they would have to COME DOWN - well no sooner have I done this than TS_Boyar_Castor who is my team mate starts just raging, and I mean raging in chat.  Like a supreme nerd rage where he starts team attacking me.  I stand there and keep asking wtf in chat.  He takes my life down 75% until I start shielding him and then he just starts running aorund the map screaming how much he HATES me now and how absolutely enraged he is, lol.  He will not let it go.  I try and explain my position, and the simple fact that living with an x1 modifier due to them basically using douchebaggery imo was not appropriate to me, neither was team attacking to make his.  He took nerd rage to the next level and finally rage quit.  Tried to send him a pm on here but I think he had a breakdown as I have not seen him ingame since.

I guess the TS clan make the rules on both ladders and team attack rages.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:34 pm »
Breaking enemies ladders should never be grounds to kick or ban anyone, that's retarded, the enemy should guard their ladders if they want them so much, rather than expect the enemies to walk 1 by 1 up a ladder to a roof where they're all camping.

If you want to roof camp, protect your ladders, you're lucky the torches can't be used to burn down buildings right now lol.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:21 pm »
Easiest way to fix archers camping on roofs: Make the master of the field flags always spawn at say 1.30 mins left.

Offline Chasab

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:14 pm »
Seeing the Hospitaller kids play regularly, they like to let their team die and sit back in an extremely advantaged position and camp.

This is Fact, If i'm playing and i see i'm on the Hosp team, I don't do anything, i just wait for there gaggle of geese to decide its time to fight

The real only way to fix camping on roofs, is make it so you can burn buildings down. since thats what would happen, want to camp a roof? ill set said roof on fire.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:09:23 pm by Chasab »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:33 pm »
The real only way to fix camping on roofs, is make it so you can burn buildings down. since thats what would happen, want to camp a roof? ill set said roof on fire.

This would indeed be epic, and the RL logical solution to this nuisance.