Author Topic: Need help with a 1h+shield+lance cavalry build.  (Read 692 times)

Offline Carac

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Carac
Need help with a 1h+shield+lance cavalry build.
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:34:06 am »
Couple questions: What should the build look like? I would like to be good on horse and foot. Second, what horse? I will play siege and battle so I would like to be diverse. Thanks!
best shitstain NA

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a 1h+shield+lance cavalry build.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:46:42 am »
+1
what I've been doing

21/15 or 18/18

Max PS, Athletics, Riding
4 Shield
3 In Weapon Master, 110 wpf 1 handers, 80 polearms
rest in Ironflesh (3-5 usually)

I use an elite cav shield, heavy or regular lance, and whatever 1 hander I feel like.  21/15 if you are happy with the destrier (my preferred) or the heavy horses.  Courser is usually better for lancing, and if you like 6 athletics/riding, 18/18 should be what you go for.  Both do probably the same damage on horseback because the riding speed increase compensates for the less power strike.

If i want to do straight 1 hand cav for a map, I like the destrier the most.  Cheap, fast, and sturdy.  The war horses or cataphract are good but slower.  For lancing, the courser is usually the best, if the map is nice and open.

I'd suggest you try 18/18 and buy a destrier and courser, and see what you prefer.  21/15 is slower, but more HP and whatnot so its more "heavy infantry/medium cav" specialty.

When doing infantry I sometimes do a shield (I think the heavy round or knightly heater is best for infantry maps, elite cav is the best for being mounted), 1 hander, and a polearm just to be versatile, and you can pull it off with this build.  Like carry an awlpike on your back to fight cav.  But recently I prefer just straight shielder with 1hand sword.  If you like using polearms on foot more, consider adding more WM, or changing the distribution around.

You can lance with 0 wpf, but I've noticed you do significantly less damage, and with the heavy lance the timing can become kind of awful and frustrating since its so slow.  Only do this if you insist on having 0 weapon master and maxing iron flesh to be a real tank on horseback.  I think 3 WM is worth it to hybrid.  You don't need more.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:52:45 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Carac

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Carac
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:52:45 am »
Can I ride a courser with 5 riding?
best shitstain NA

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:54:36 am »
Can I ride a courser with 5 riding?

No.  5 riding lets you use up to a destrier and all the heavy cav.  The really fast or really agile horses are 6-7 riding.  Coursers and Desert Horses are 6.  Arabians are 7.  Riding over the minimum also gives you bonuses to your horse's stats, but its not that great unless you have a ton.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 02:16:50 am »
How much is a ton?  I have 8 riding with a Destrier.  Am I wasting it?  Should I be using an Arabian instead?
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:11:23 am »
Oh I bet it makes that Destrier handle better, but you should definitely try out an Arabian as well.  It takes less arrows than a Destrier, but feels amazing to ride.

Personally I can do just fine with 5 riding and a Destrier, and use the extra points in shield, IF, PS, whatever else to hybrid more.  But pure cav builds can certainly do work with high riding.  Ever try to chase or aim at a champion arabian horse with 8-10 riding?  :(