Author Topic: Textures ingame get scrambled  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Stjitalurv

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Textures ingame get scrambled
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:40 am »
Hi , im getting this problem when i have played for a while, like 1.5-2 hours. The textures shift places, so i get like armor textures on the ground, houses and environment textures on armor and tag textures here and there, you get the picture? I had this before for a while, but after some months with this, the graphics card broke down and I got stripes and no picture at all, even when i was in windows desktop only.

Then i baked the graphics card in the oven, 200 degrees celsius for 9 minutes. And then it worked perfectly again. But the problem is back now, with textures on the wrong places. I think I have to remove the cooler again and put some better cooling pads and cooling paste because the pads were in bad shape. I have ordered some pads for this so will do that when i get them.

The temp on the graphics card is 65-66 degrees c when idle, and 88-89 when in the game, and that feels a little on the edge, dont it ?

The thing im mostly wondering about is, do you think i have to bake the card again, or maybe its enough to place the new cooling pads and paste?

The graphics card is a geforce 8800gts (512/340mb?)
Im gonna buy a new one soon, but im waiting for the geforce 660 =)

Many on this forum seem to be good at these kind of things so therefor i ask here =)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Textures ingame get scrambled
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:53 am »
Then i baked the graphics card in the oven, 200 degrees celsius for 9 minutes. And then it worked perfectly again.

WTF... why did you do that? I don't think this is good for any electronic device. Looks like a cooling problem to me. Try to use cooling paste on the card, I heard a few bad stories about those cooling pads.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:33:13 am by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stjitalurv

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:30:39 pm »
The method to bake the graphics card is tested by alot of ppl. You can try it on cards that get artifacts and when you have nothing to loose on trying this. A dead graphics card that shows artifacts and/or stripes on the screen, is perfect to try this on if you dont have any warranty on it. Im not doing much with a totally useless card, so therefore i tried this method and it worked =) And it has worked for a huge amount of people =) But my guess now is that my cooling pads on the card is in a bad condition, so im gonna try that to see if it helps to place new pads on it. The cooling paste is placed on the gpu and the pads on the memories to get connection with the cooler.

Im hoping that i dont need to bake it again, but ill do it if the pads wont get the temp and graphics to normal :P

There can be cracks in the metal connections (solder) on older cards that have this problem, and therefor the baking of the card will melt those cracks together again.

Offline Harafat

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Harafat_HRE
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:20 am »
+1

Then i baked the graphics card in the oven, 200 degrees celsius for 9 minutes.

I'm a professional cook and i'm putting this shit on my new menu next month! 9 minutes in the oven, take it out to rest for about 5 minutes so the blood soaks nicely into the meat, jummy rosé. Add some saltflowers and szechuan pepper, finish of by decorating with coriander leafs and some orange zest. Goes great with a nice strong Bordeaux wine!

Offline Gimest

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 40
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Gimest_DeGyrst
  • IRC nick: Gimest
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:16 am »
I had the same card for over a year, and my friend still has it in use, weve had the same problem with it. But as crazy as it sound's weve put it in oven too (175 c 8 mins, remove all the screw's and things that u can take off after removing screw's) and it has worked perfectly after that, but i think its not gonna last for long cuz the time between oven cares are getting closer after each care, started from half year and now its like once or twice a month. Btw i got from my brother who also had used it for some time before that, but i was the first one to put it in oven after it has been used around 1,5-2 years.

Offline BD_Baby_Wolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 47
  • Boobs!
    • View Profile
    • Arideas
  • Faction: Guards
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Baby_Wolf
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:14:38 am »
I had the same card for over a year, and my friend still has it in use, weve had the same problem with it. But as crazy as it sound's weve put it in oven too (175 c 8 mins, remove all the screw's and things that u can take off after removing screw's) and it has worked perfectly after that, but i think its not gonna last for long cuz the time between oven cares are getting closer after each care, started from half year and now its like once or twice a month. Btw i got from my brother who also had used it for some time before that, but i was the first one to put it in oven after it has been used around 1,5-2 years.

from a couple of years working as QC and SMT programmer, i can tell that you probably killed your cards with that...
You see, there are quite a few chips (such as crystals) on those cards that ARE NOT intended to go (in some cases) even above 100-120c.
Another thing is that you probably touch it without any ESD protection, and 2kv-20kv electro-static discharge, may will brake flash chips (RAM) and other ESD sensitive components. So, in short, even one touch of your hand may cause failure in some time.
I strongly advise all you hackers to read about ESD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge
Augment your reality, the easy way!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
May as well throw it away if your card idles at 66c, Anything over 55c is pretty much danger zone.  I wouldnt be suprised if card running at 80c+ melts power plugs or catches your computer on fire.

Do you live in a desert or too cheap to run AC in your house?  Ambient air temp is a big factor for air cooled computers.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »
May as well throw it away if your card idles at 66c, Anything over 55c is pretty much danger zone.  I wouldnt be suprised if card running at 80c+ melts power plugs or catches your computer on fire.

A generic statement like this is meaningless, since temperatures vary greatly from card to card.
An idle temp of 66°C is higher than the average for a 8800 GTS, but nothing too unusual.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:46:25 am »
I tried running M&B on my P4/1GB/9500GTS "non-gaming" (or "used to be gaming") computer a little while ago. Had the same problem after about an hour of playing. It made me laugh because the water surface turned into a samurai armor texture and several rocks were covered in male faces. The sky was a giant shield, and a ton of helms were suddenly made out of branches and leaves.

Definitely related to GPU heat issues, the side of the case was startlingly warm. No more M&B for that computer anymore...

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Stjitalurv

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:44:06 pm »
Well the card works now, so im quite happy =) Im just waiting for the new nvidia cards to come out. I have my eyes set on a 660. So if i can prolong the life of this card until i get my hands on a new 660 ill be a happy bunny =)

I put new cooling-pads on it now and it runs a little smoother. Idle coretemp is ~70 degrees c and ingame its like 88-90 degrees c.  Ofcourse Im a little worried that this is too high, but i see other owners of this 8800gts have a high temp on their cards too.

I think i ordered wrong coolingpads though, I should have ordered 1 mm in thickness but i ordered some 1.5 mm pads instead. I had too put all the cooling paste from the tube on the gpu to get it connected with the cooler.... Perhaps not the best way to go... But it works. If i get any more problems ill try to get the 1 mm pads and new cooling paste, then i think it will be as good as it can be...

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 01:51:11 am »
Then i baked the graphics card in the oven, 200 degrees celsius for 9 minutes. And then it worked perfectly again.