Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 46133 times)

Offline JasonPastman

• Count
  • Renown: 285
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guys That CMP Has Quoted [GTCHQ]
  • Game nicks: Jason_The_Great
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
After playing a little of this weekends beta I'm very impressed with the game.  The big difference here from past betas is that they removed the starter islands and spawn you directly into the city after the prison thing.  The quests I have done along with the rest of the world and the recent changes to combat are all very impressive and convinced me to pre-order. I have heard the game really becomes amazing at lvl 10 though I think I will wait until release to venture past lvl 5.
If a majority be united by a common interest, the rights of the minority will be insecure - James Madison
It is not wisdom but Authority that makes a law - Thomas Hobbes.
Too busy not giving a fuck...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #316 on: March 16, 2014, 03:52:43 am »
+2
I am playing the current beta and have been following this game for a long time. The game is a 8/10 currently.

The Good:
The pvp system is basically DAoC's, with a more centralized fighting area and more "relics" (elderscrolls) to take.
The graphics are pretty good for a MMO.
The music is fantastic. All Elder Scrolls games have great music and this continues the trend.
The voice acting. Nice to have these in any game and they have decent voice actors for just about every single NPC Ive talked to.

The "Meh":
Class/Skill system is okay. I think they have plenty of room to add more classes and skill trees. There appears to be alot of diversity right now but certain cookie cutter builds are already popping up. Hopefully with the addition of new classes we can see just a tiny bit more differences.
The public questing zones/dungeons. Everquest had these long ago and they were a pain in the arse then for the same reasons. People will camp them and they are ridiculously over crowded early game. The same issue will pop up late game as well if they are not careful.

The Bad:
Questing system. It brings nothing new to the table. Standard MMO-fare. There is really nothing that can be done about this, all MMOs have this problem and after playing so many MMOs I just dislike it in general.
Memory leaks. This game needs some work in optimization. Its been getting better but they have some work ahead of them. I run a decent custom built PC and this game has issues.
Class/skill balance. Still a beta so I am not too upset about this one. It took a year before the DAoC devs really started doing balance work on the game and they never quite got it right, so my expectations are a little low here. Currently ranged casters/archers are the top of the totem pole in PVP, melee players generally have a very hard time doing anything before being exploded/pin-cushioned/burnedtoacrisp

All in all, its a decent MMO. It brings in the lore and style of the Elder Scrolls games, while fudging with it a little to fit into a MMO game. The PVP system is almost a exact copy of Dark Age of Camelots RvR system, with the keeps and "relics" to be capture. I loved DAoC, it was my third MMO that I ever played and it stuck with me for years. After the recent shut down of Warhammer Online (The same devs made DAoC), I have been on the look out for a MMO to get into. I played WoW for years (Beta/Release/TBC) and it really no longer appeals to me. So if you are looking for something new, with a old school style of PVP, Elder Scrolls Online might just be what you want. Not the best MMO ever made but one worth a few months of play.

Side note: The ESO crafting system is top notch. I did not include it in my "The Good" section solely based on the fact that I almost never craft but Ive fiddled with it a little and talked to several friends who love it. The enchanting system combined with the trait system makes you feel like you are actually making a decent fucking weapon/piece of armor.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 16, 2014, 10:03:38 am »
I'm not interested in getting hooked on something that will become P2P,

another game that is P2P is eve online. eve online has been running since 2002 and its still popular. i highly doubt they would be able to maintain the popularity without the income from P2P. i think eve online is one of the greatest computer games ever. simply epic. it wouldnt be what it is today without P2P. i pay gladly btw.

in denmark the price for a month of eve online is 100DKR. thats the same price i pay when i go watch a movie in the cinema (incl. drink and snacks of course) and thats max 3 hours of entertaintment.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #318 on: March 16, 2014, 10:28:20 am »
(click to show/hide)

If what you say is true this is fucking awesome news. I have waited years for a proper pvp succesor to Daoc/Warhammer Online. If the RvR quality is even half of those games wrapped in a TES world it will be great

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #319 on: March 16, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »
+1
another game that is P2P is eve online. eve online has been running since 2002 and its still popular. i highly doubt they would be able to maintain the popularity without the income from P2P. i think eve online is one of the greatest computer games ever. simply epic. it wouldnt be what it is today without P2P. i pay gladly btw.

in denmark the price for a month of eve online is 100DKR. thats the same price i pay when i go watch a movie in the cinema (incl. drink and snacks of course) and thats max 3 hours of entertaintment.

Yeah, I'm just not a huge fan of the concept. Paying full price for the game, then having to fork out ~20% of that each month to carry on playing it.
TBH, I'm just not a huge fan of mmos, that's the main reason I didn't want to play it :p. Not forgetting I don't have enough time or money to justify playing a p2p mmo :D.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2014, 05:00:33 pm »
EvE online is not really a subscription-based game though. In my opinion it's the absolute best kind of P2P model out there.

You pay with real money to purchase ingame items that allow you to extend your subscription. Those ingame items can be traded freely, which actually means that if you spend the necessary ingame cash to buy those from other players through ingame means, you can play EvE online for zero real money for as long as you can afford spending all that ingame money.

This has also caused the quite ridiculous and awesome situation that those subscription items have been lost and destroyed in virtual space on occasion http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08/08/eve-player-destroys-over-1000-worth-of-game-time/

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2014, 05:13:33 pm »
+1
In either case EVE is worth paying for while TESO is just ehhhhhhhh

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2014, 05:49:07 pm »
+2
Imagine what it would be like if all that time and resource would have been used to make a single player TES game and get angry.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2014, 05:59:15 pm »
Imagine what it would be like if all that time and resource would have been used to make a single player TES game and get angry.

Let's hope alot of the money they sucker from everyone that plays ESO goes into making the most awesome ES game yet. ( wages and bills aside of course lol ).

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2014, 09:09:41 pm »

Isn't it made by a different team?

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2014, 09:44:49 pm »
Money is money and time is still time.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:12 pm »
Money is money and time is still time.

You don't make one baby in one month... you know where this is going.

Also you are overestimating the amount of work TESO has required them to pull off, given all the tech and assets they already have.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #327 on: March 17, 2014, 02:03:10 am »
+2
whelp, the last beta event is going to end in a few hours
i just said goodbye to my awesome lvl 17 argonian dragon knight as im done playing

twas great, had fun, awesome game

still not gonna buy, due to $15 sub
call me cheap, but money is TIGHT right now

You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 17, 2014, 01:48:22 pm »
+1
yeah i enjoyed it as well. i like the changes (NPC collision, start town and crafting!). dont think i will buy the game from day 1 either, not because i dont wanna but also because i lack the... erhmm... "time"... :)

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #329 on: March 17, 2014, 02:00:41 pm »
+2
I had to pre-order it because I wanted the Imperial Edition (and not as digital one). I'm not sure though if I wanna play it from day 1 (04.04.2014) but maybe wait some time.

I'm still looking forward to it and still got to make some friends buy it as well so I'm not alone...  :|
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me