Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 46250 times)

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2014, 06:34:08 pm »
+2
well dayz isn't an mmo

massive
multiplayer
yo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:58 pm »
+1
I don't consider 40 players per server massive :)

To me a Massively Multiplayer Online (RPG) game needs to fill this criteria:

- persistent world
- at least 250 players per server / instance

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2014, 12:12:27 am »
I don't consider 40 players per server massive :)

To me a Massively Multiplayer Online (RPG) game needs to fill this criteria:

- persistent world
- at least 250 players per server / instance

dayz is persistant, all servers are instances of master server, also can(will?) go way higher than 40. alot of "mmos" have less concurrent players than games like crpg/dayz, but are widely considered mmos simply because they have more similar gameplay, such as path of exile.

you can define the number to 250, but there is no official number. also I'm sure I heard dean say he wanted 200 player servers (or was it 100?). he has definitely talked about how its an mmo but mmo is a "bad word".

PS: there was a sticky post on eso beta forums where director was talking about the term mmo, I agreed with what he said but it was VERY ironic because he was claiming ESO breaks mmo conventions where really it does nothing original. I would paste but cant log in again without effort.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:12 am »
MMORPGs started going down hill in the early 2000's when proven successful MMORPGs started watering down the game to make it more friendly to the lowest common denominators.  This started to appeal to more people, but the games are (at least to me) objectively worse and worse.  They are more for the casuals, the unskilled, and the people who rage too easily and quit games.   WoW is my prime example for this.  Games like EQ and Ultima Online were very good in their heyday, but they started dumbing down the games, and WoW is what capitalized on the trend of these games watering down their content for casuals and raging baddies.

I don't see this trend changing any time soon, it's only getting more and more prevalent.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/star-citizens-death-mechanics-to-create-a-sense-of-mortality-a/
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2014, 05:42:58 pm »
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/star-citizens-death-mechanics-to-create-a-sense-of-mortality-a/

Yeah I heard EVE online was similar to an MMORPG that I would enjoy playing, if I could get into the whole space/sci-fi thing.  But I just can't see myself playing a space game like that.  And this game seems somewhat similar to EVE Online. 

Ultima Online had a lot of good things going for it that we don't get in modern MMORPGs (and even Ultima Online stopped doing a lot of what I thought made it so great).

*Criminal system - you can do anything you want in the game, but if you commit a crime you are a criminal for 2 minutes, meaning anyone can attack or steal from you in that 2 minute time without becoming a criminal themselves.  If you murder "innocent" people, you become a murder.
*Some towns had AI guards that would auto-kill criminals or murderers (if you called for guards).
*Loot system - you die, most of your gear you had is lootable by anyone.  If you steal from an innocent corpse, you become a criminal.
*Dungeons were not instances, you had to compete for resources (or work as a team to get said resources)

A criminal system was awesome, and something I'd like to see in another MMORPG, but I doubt it will happen.  I'd settle for non-instanced dungeons and partial or full loot drop on death as well.  The reason loot drop is so awesome, is because the game focuses on your skills rather than on the equipment you're using (although equipment is important too).  You have to decide if you want to take the risk of using your best gear or not.  It actually forces you to weigh risk vs reward.  I don't ever see that in any modern MMORPG, because risk means rage quitting 13 year olds (which hurts your bottom line). 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:47:33 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2014, 11:52:08 pm »
+1
Yeah I heard EVE online was similar to an MMORPG that I would enjoy playing, if I could get into the whole space/sci-fi thing.  But I just can't see myself playing a space game like that.  And this game seems somewhat similar to EVE Online.

Eve has as much in common with Star Citizen as Team Fortress 2 has with ARMA 3, because you know, they are both shooters.  :?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2014, 02:26:55 am »
As an EVE player I just got one thing to say... HTFU  :twisted:

A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2014, 02:45:02 am »
+1
As an EVE player I just got one thing to say... HTFU  :twisted:

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2014, 01:17:31 am »
I got a invite to the upcoming beta this Friday!

WOOT
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2014, 07:32:15 am »
+3
I tried it out last beta weekend and I wont even be wasting my time this weekend, I found the game really disapoint son  :cry:

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2014, 04:52:13 pm »
I tried it last test session. I enjoyed it. and now I will play the entire weekend with out sleep (again) and im sure I will enjoy it. haters gonna hate. I was afraid that it would be another crap MMO release but this isn't hyped (IMO) its really good.

I forgot my nick but ill post here ASAP if there is anyone who would like to grind :)

oh and also perhaps I should tell about this minor issue I had this morning:

since I got a new test session invite I had to reinstall ESO client. but when I tried to install, error popped up "not enough disk space" while I had over 50gb free. I found out this is semi-common issue related to multi disk setups with SSDs (SSD c:, HDD d:). to fix this, uninstall ESO launcher and client from c:\ and then install on (an)other HDD x:\

its due to a mix of windows reg and driver / pointer fail creating missing entry.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:59:44 pm by Sniger »

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2014, 09:54:07 pm »
+1
Each to their own but I'm not sure if I'll ever play the game again, the only way I will is once it's released and I can witness the finished PVP system via youtube, that will allow me to decide if I want to play it and try the PVP. Other than that nothing about the game makes me want to play it over any of the other non-fun grindfests.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2014, 10:27:17 pm »
I didn't even waste time to think about playing beta. I did that in many games before and half of those games don't promise much early on but after they go live I quite enjoyed them. I guess same will apply for ESO. I like the whole system and don't mind a less quality graphic style than Skyrim or even Oblivion as it is obviously an MMO.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2014, 12:22:59 am »
+2
It's not graphically disappointing. It's the opposite actually.
It is the rest that is el terrible.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #284 on: February 07, 2014, 04:04:05 am »
Holy hell, downloading this thing takes ages!
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net