Author Topic: Riding buffs horse-hp  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Riding buffs horse-hp
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:59:31 pm »
Simple, I am suggesting that the riding skill adds a minor amount of hp to the horse being used (+2/level or along those lines)

Feel free to discuss, without insulting each others "skill/personality/weapon preferences" and so on. We see how many posts we go before troll country.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
Re: Riding buffs horse-hp
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »
that or an increase in armour too would be lovely
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:12:32 pm »
I had that though, but it would make getting horse-kills harder for low level/weapon users.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »
I have thought about it myself before but:
- It adds one more element to balance out which is a bad thing balance wise making the balancing of the game even harder.
- It is unrealistic.

So I say no. Same applies for increased armour if anyone suggests that.
We already have speed and maneuverability. I think those are enough.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:24:49 pm »
>unrealistic

I don't think that is a argument for much, especially since you could even go "Well he takes better care of his horse, it is more healthy"

>more elements to balance would make it more easy to balance

What if I just claim this instead, as the more tools you have, the more likely you are to find the one that fits perfectly.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »
>more elements to balance would make it more easy to balance

Logic of that statement eludes me.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »
Say you need to buff/adjust certain elements of the game, but no others.

Say you want to buff the high-end riders for some reason and specifically the hp of there horses, since there speed bonus actually makes them take more damage, so you could use this skill and increase/decrease it to help that specific problem. Without it, you wouldn't have that option and would have to apply other kinds of buffs (like hp buff across the board) that migrate into other balance situations.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:36:01 pm by Thtb »

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 01:32:09 pm »
...or you could simple raise the hp of the horses regardless of riding skill.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 01:37:36 pm »
...or you could simple raise the hp of the horses regardless of riding skill.

As I stated, that wouldn't address the issue of higher riding = more speed = more speed bonus working against the rider, which is our pretend issue (just to avoid your next post being: But the rider gets more bonus, too!), but instead would help all, regardless of riding skill.

It would also offer more reasons and possible builds going for high riding.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 01:41:05 pm »
Say you need to buff/adjust certain elements of the game, but no others.

Say you want to buff the high-end riders for some reason and specifically the hp of there horses, since there speed bonus actually makes them take more damage, so you could use this skill and increase/decrease it to help that specific problem. Without it, you wouldn't have that option and would have to apply other kinds of buffs (like hp buff across the board) that migrate into other balance situations.

The problem it COULD create is, that every horseman would be now basicly forced to have high riding skill (like way past the courser req), to buff their horse's survivability. Which means that all of a sudden, we would have much faster horsemen with more durable horses running around, lancing people. So people would cry for nerf, and something else would be nerfed and so on and so on.
The idea is, the less things to balance, the easier it is to achieve the balance. That's why most of mmorpg are imbalaned in PvP, because there is just too many variables to work with, while classics like Quake3, or Quake Live for that matter, is pinnacle of balance, because there is basicly nothing to balance.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:42:18 pm by Nemeth »

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:43:36 pm »
It is simply a choice, like so many others. Your statement implys that every single person would go str. focus and max out iron flesh whenever possible, because you are now basically forced to take it to surive longer.

Thanks for the -1 to the awesome bar, clearly supports your position in the discussion.

The good thing with a specific buff is that... it buffes very specifically. And Nemeth, you should know that games resit simplicity as much as truth does...

Also stating that most mmos are inbalanced in pvp is simply true not because of the complexity, but because they are made for pve, see our most popular example, wow. Now look at a "mmo" made for pvp... it is now diamonds, I mean, somewhat balanced.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:46:25 pm by Thtb »

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 02:10:50 pm »
No it does not imply that actually. My statement implys that every single person WHO would go str focus, would max out IF, because it's too good to skip for their build. There is no reason to go str focus for people playing like ninjas, or just generally for poeple wearing light armor and abusing their mobility.

Afaik, horsmen usually get only as much riding as the horse they wanna use requires, maybe 1-2 points above, even if their agi let them get 2 or 3 above that. So they wouldn't have to do a whole lot of a sacrifice to get their maximum riding skill. And that could lead to what I said before.

Also, saying that mmo's are made for pve is simply not true. Almost every single mmo's game is pvp oriented, as there is simply nothing else to do after you get your gear and stuff. As for the pvp mmo's, feel free to say the ones that are balanced.

And for the awesomebar comment... Huh? Is this your only thread you post in? If so then, yeah, I can see how you jumped to the conclusion I gave you -1, but just so you know, I don't care about your awesombar in the slightest.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 02:20:15 pm »

(click to show/hide)

If they had that agility anyway (above the requirement) surly they would take it, there isn't much to that statement. Get free candy, eat it. Also we are talking about some going 21 agi for shit and giggles after they have all the agi skills they desire... urr yeah.

>Also, saying that mmo's are made for pve is simply not true. Almost every single mmo's game is pvp oriented, as there is simply nothing else to do after you get your gear and stuff. As for the pvp mmo's, feel free to say the ones that are balanced.

*points to wow *shrugs** Balance is relative. Some people consider it balanced, others not. At this moment there are people complaining about the imbalances in chess in various forums, because one starts first. Your claim that they are not balanced is quite undefined and again, personal opinion.

(click to show/hide)

I don't see a issue with that, if your argument actually refers to people building there specific build in a specific way, being bad... that is your opinion, but as always, it is personal choice. Some go str, but take some more athletics or shield instead of IF... thanks for easing your own argument.

Offline Ragnarok

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 02:51:13 pm »
We already have speed and maneuverability
not all horses are steppe, desert horses or sarranids.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:57:42 am »
I do think horses die way to easy.  Part of the reason is b/c since the patch and Agi got nurffed so hard all these high STR builds, espically the ones with throwing rock even the good horses.  Maybe a bit harder for the plated charger to go down but everything else pretty easy.  Espically when it's comming towards you.  So yes if AGI is gonna stay fairly usless as it is I would say 1 skill point in riding gets you 4hp and 3 armor per point.  Maybe then your Cataphrach coulda at least survive 1 throwing lance it takes in side after passing a thrower.