Poll

Should Mains be able to give money to Alts?  (Doesn't include STFs at this moment, and Alts won't be able to give money to Mains)

Yes.  It'll help halt inflation in the Marketplace.  Let's see this implemented very soon!
No.  (And please, comment why you think it's not good for the community as a whole.)

Author Topic: Giving money to Alts (And why it's a good idea)  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Giving money to Alts (And why it's a good idea)
« on: April 25, 2012, 03:27:55 am »
+14
It's here!  The "Funding" as chadz & the Devs call it, has been implemented!

Once again, I want to say a big "Thank You" to all you who voted and posted in this thread!  Not that this thread got this implemented... it seemed the Devs may have already been chewing on this idea.  But I think it definitely got the ball rolling for them to actually make it happen.  Meaning, the "Funding" option may have been months down the road if not for this thread (and you folks voice here in this thread).

And of course a huge "Thanks" to chadz & the Devs!!!

- Mallets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why propose this idea?

It's quite tough for Alts to build up the financial capital that we can with our Mains.  Mains can sell their looms in the Marketplace, ensuring that for several generations (a very freaking long time), that they'll never have to worry about upkeep.  Also, with your main, when trying out items and finding out you don't like them... you can sell them on the Marketplace for about 90% of what you paid for them (only a 10% loss).  With an Alt, you have to sell it back to the shop for a 50% loss.  That can equal a lot of money (I mean a lot of money) for players.  Along with that... Mains can find deals in the Marketplace on items that Alts don't have a chance at.

I'm just saying all this to show the financial challenges that Alts face that Mains simply do not.  Again, I'm not suggesting that Alts get to use the Marketplace.  I just want to Mains be able to give money to Alts... in order to help alleviate their financial woes.  Players work hard to get their Alts to lvl 30... it'd be nice to see them have the same financial stability we have with our Mains.

What's the idea? How would it work?

I propose that Mains be able to give Alts money (gold).  Now this would be only for Mains to give money.  Alts would not be able to give money back to Mains... nor to other Alts.

Whether Mains would be able to give money to STF characters is certainly up for debate.  At this moment, I'd say "No".  But this feature is discussed in the last paragarph.  STF characters are certainly different from regular Alts.  With regular Alts, players have to work hard to get to lvl 30.  It'd be nice to see that hard work be fruitful... and have Alts be afforded the same financial stability as Mains.

Just for Main characters, have a Tab where they can give money to their Alts.  Not sure how the interface would work or look.  But it should be a simple interface to make.  And I'd think it would be a somewhat easy as programming goes.  Shouldn't be too hard of an idea to implement!

Why this is a good idea?  Or at least... why it's not a bad idea?

First off, I think there's several benefits to this idea.  But just as important... I don't see any negative effects to this idea.  Check out #1, it actually may be the best reason to implement this.

1)  Allowing Mains to give money to Alts will help take some money out of the Market... helping fight inflation.  There's tons of complaints about inflation and too much money in circulation.  The money given to Alts will be forever lost from the Market, since Alts can't give money themselves.  Over time it could totally halt inflation... might even actually see deflation happen!

2)  It'll help alleviate the financial woes that Alts face... which Mains simply do not.  Allowing Alts to wear better armor and not worry about upkeep, just the same as Mains.  While this will make more well-equipped players in-game... that's not a bad thing.  Some folks may not like that idea... but it's not an unfair advantage (because Mains get to do this).  And you guys know that skill is way more of an advantage than equipment.

3)  There's no negative effect to Strategus.  Mains cannot be given money in any way... so no unfair advantages.

Closing Statement... and what I (and the Community) need from you?

Hopefully you see the advantages of this idea.  But also, hopefully you see there's no real negative (or unfair) points in this idea.  And the factor of taking money out of circulation in the Marketplace is seemingly a good enough reason alone.

Please vote "Yes" at the top.  Please +1 this idea.  Please make a post saying "great idea" or what not... so we can get many bumps on this.

I really want to take this idea to the Admins and push for this idea to be put into effect.  But I (or rather we) need to come together and unanimously make our voices/opinions known.  Let's make this idea happen!!!

STF feature in question

Would a Main be able to give money to a "Skip The Fun" character?  Two positives here.  One being that 10k is not a lot of gold to really enjoy your STF character (thus making you grind like all other characters).  Allowing STFs to receive money would hush all the complaints about this (cause many folks are asking for the 10k to be raised).  Number 2, giving money to a STF still takes money out of circulation in the Marketplace.  And with players regularly (at least weekly) creating and deleting STF characters... that's just more money that's likely to leave the Market... thus helping to halt inflation.  Players make a STF character.  Give it tons of money to max out their equipment.  Two weeks later they are wanting to make another STF character... so they delete this one... losing all those items anyways.  And then they make another character, give it money to max out equipment... and take even more money out of circulation in the Market.

The negative factor to this is... most players (after at least gen-ing their Main, which most players have done so) can instantly make a lvl 30 character with the best equipment available.  What's different about regular Alts is that players work hard to get them to lvl 30... they should be able to have the same financial stability as Mains.  However, STF characters are a different story.  Players could truly have instant gratification if able to give money to STF characters.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:57:47 pm by Mallets »

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
Re: Giving money to Alts (Why it a good idea)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:32:46 am »
incoming infinitely fueled by endless gold STF cav alts here we come!
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:35:00 am »

Well, if you read the last paragraph... this is a feature in question.  And in the initial out-look... I'm saying don't implement giving money to STFs.

I don't want to have anything in the way of seeing the main idea get implemented in-game (which is to allow Mains to give money to regular Alts).  If it would be too overpowering to have STF characters be given money... then let's not implement it.

But for players' regular Atls... with whom they've worked hard to get to lvl 30... I think it'd be a great idea for them to be able to have the financial stability that Mains get to have!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:00:23 am by Mallets »

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:20:36 am »
Just edited the post with the idea to push for 50 votes.  I think if we got that many... then the Devs would definitely take notice... and hopefully implement this feature!

Heck, I think it we got over 30 votes, it'd make a big impression!

Please... if you agree with this idea... then VOTE... and +1 the original post... and post a reply to bump the thread!

Thanks!!!

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
Re: Giving money to Alts (And why it's a good idea)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:00:06 am »
Sounds good to me!

Maybe this even stops my evil plan to use all my alts as sacrifices to equip my main with full loomed equipment set soon!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:14:18 am »
I created a thread about transfering money Main<->Alt in both ways and this is what I wrote:

I am playing CRPG for some time, but I am not a high Gen player. Actually I am Gen 1 because I started over some times. I did this because I wanted variety in my playstyle.

Maybe I am bad informed but as far as I know the Alternate system works this way:

You have 1 Main who can access the market
You can create alts, play them to 31 and sacrifice for Heirloompoints
I dont know if you get gen+1 if you sacrifice lv31 Alternate but I assume this.

The problem I currently see is, that you dont have access to the market with your alts. This really limits the fun of playing an Alt because you know that you waste a lot of money, due to the limitateion of transfering gold.

You either have the choice of:

1, play Main and have full advantage but keep grinding the same stuff for 8,7 Mio xp
2, switch between Main and Alt from time to time but get punished with lesser goldincome per time

Both of them are bad choices. I dont like the system and I dont see the point why the player should be punished if he wants to swich characters.

The best solution is simple:
Just allow Alts to use the market. It enables the player to transfer gold and nothing is lost.
Its like having 1 account and the opportunity to play different characters and this would be great.

Please keep in mind that using alt already has a (small) disadvantage already, if they would be allowed to use market.
Playing several Alt at once would lead to a small DELAY of GENEREATIOn which is a small Xp punishment, but this is acceptable.

I really hope that playing an Alt will get buff, because the current version sucks and I dont see the point of it.

However I dont agree on the part of reducing inflation.

What I want is that I get X money for Y time.

And if I spend c + v time which is Y I want X money.

X money for Y time
X money for c+v Time
c+v = Y

simple as that ;)

Inflation should be fighted with other methods then BREAKING the game and punishing player who want diversity(=playing alts)
But currently you get DOUBLEPUNISHED for playing alts for no reason.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:18:58 am by Khalim »
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:52:58 pm »

Yes, until your main runs out of gold. I know you are rich poop, and good for you, but that isn't feasible for most. Also, you are playing what amounts to a "dead" character. I don't even see much appeal in doing this. You'd also need to regularly play on your "slave" main to continue retiring and selling loompoints, all for a dead-end character.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:54:54 pm »
Inflation should be fighted with other methods then BREAKING the game and punishing player who want diversity(=playing alts)

I, of course, answered you in your own thread.  But here I wanted to answer you're thought about "diversity".

I want diversity as well.  I want to be able to play my Alts with the same comfort that I play my Main.  I want them to be able to wear good equipment and not have to worry about upkeep, the same as Mains.  And I would love for them to have the capital to try out tons of different armors and weapons... just as Mains get to do.

My idea would help all that.  I would think you'd be on board for this... since you want the same?!

And as for using some other method to fight inflation... why?  Why does it have to be some other method?  Why can't it be this method?  How is it breaking the game?  Certainly no more than your idea which would "break" Strategus!  Now I'm not saying it would actually "break Stategus", cause the word "break" is a matter of opinion.  But your idea could have drastic effects on Strategus.  And you may not care much about Strategus... but apparently some do (I'm personally not one of them).

My point being is... I want to see Alts helped out... apparently you do as well.  Your idea of allowing Alts to use the Marketplace is going to get shot down (just as my old post did).  So here I am... trying to propose an idea that will help Alts... while not negatively affecting Strategus.

And it just so happens that it will also help fight inflation... something that seems to concern many of the veteran players (those who's opinions carry weight).  So yes... I am using it as a selling point!  And my idea will truly help fight inflation!  I'm not spouting "hot air" to just try to get them on board.  It will help a legitimate concern of the Marketplace!

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:47 pm »
Yes, until your main runs out of gold. I know you are rich poop, and good for you, but that isn't feasible for most. Also, you are playing what amounts to a "dead" character. I don't even see much appeal in doing this. You'd also need to regularly play on your "slave" main to continue retiring and selling loompoints, all for a dead-end character.

Exactly Archon!

And if rich players want to throw their money at a character they are going to delete in a week or so... I say let them!  It'll just help the Market out.  Now of course, as you said... most players won't this.  Most can't afford to do this.  And others are just smart enough to not through their money away on a STF character.

But as mentioned in my OP... I'm currently not proposing that Mains give money to STFs.  The reason I'm against it at the moment is because I don't anything negative against the main idea of "Allowing regular Alts to receive gold from Mains".  Some (like Poop) may say "No" to this idea based on the stance that allowing STFs able to participate in this will create to many uber Cavs (and the like).  I don't want that viewpoint hurting my main idea of getting approved.

So at the moment... this idea does not include STFs receiving money.  If the idea is approved... then Devs can decide on this matter themselves.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:17:15 pm by Mallets »

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »

You make it sound like I am the only person on crpg with gold
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:34:37 pm »
Great to see all the votes!  Thanks for your time!  And keep them coming!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:43:47 pm »
You make it sound like I am the only person on crpg with gold

He still makes a point. There's no reason to dump a lot of gold into STF chars for prolonged use, and you could do that with any char anyway so I don't see why are STF chars a problem. Such a feature would be welcome as 10k really isn't enough to try things.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 10:51:28 pm »
Good idea. Implementing.

Offline Death_Dealer

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • to Shish your enemies, see them Kebabed before you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Shishkebab, Ronaldinho, Colossus, Death_Dealer, Brunhild, Whorecraft, Fahishe, Altair
  • IRC nick: Shishkebab
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:26 pm »
i want to be able to transfer items to alts and this or i ll need to get another key to have another main:P oh poor alts

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:47 am »
Good idea. Implementing.

If you are serious, then I'm a very happy person.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.