Author Topic: What effects weapon speed?  (Read 663 times)

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What effects weapon speed?
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:22 am »
+2
Is it just the speed of the weapon or wpf points or Agi or everything. I'm only level 20, but every swings fucking two handers three times as fast as I swing my one hander.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: What effects weapon speed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:00:32 am »
+1
15 people who play this game and viewed this thread, and don't know the answer.

That gives me so much hope for this game

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:45 am »
Weapon "speed" is mostly the wielder to be honest.

A shitty player with a fast weapon will still be slow, and a good player with a slow weapon can be fast.

The reason people are not responding is because these kinds of posts are very common (but usually in the beginners section).

Duel, practice and get better. You will soon discover proper offensive melee techniques. It's not something I can explain in detail in a short forum post, but I can promise you if you stick to the game you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and welcome to c-rpg btw  :P

EDIT: For more a more practical tip:

Don't go shielder. You want to pick up on manual blocking as fast as possible and besides 1h tend to be a bit weak in the damage department during the lower levels.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:09:58 am by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:11:09 am »
This will not be a perfect explanation, but once you get your wpf in that skill to 100 the weapon will swing at the speed it lists. Supposedly every 20 wpf after 100 adds 1 speed. So 130 wpf in one hand with a weapon that has a swing speed of 99 would be the equivalent of 100.5 speed (unsure if it counts anything in the decimals though). Note that your effective wpf is decreased by the weight of your armor. So low wpf + heavy armor will slow your swings down.

Secondly and much more importantly footwork, which is effected by your agi/athletics, will help you land hits faster. Also coming in is your reaction speed from when they hit your block to when you start swinging (this gets a lot of newbies) and your latency. If your latency is high your swings will slow down.

From my experience once you hit level 26 or 27 you actually start to be effective. Anything below that is really underpowered in some crucial way.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:09 am »
+1
Weapon speed and WPF only.  I don't have the formula offhand, but i think 100 wpf is maybe 7% weapon speed difference only.

When you use a shield its -30% speed penalty.  Whoever has a longer weapon will always, always get the first attack.  You need to block and then immediately swing, but even with a slower 1h, you can get hits in just fine.  If you put your shield on your back you can see the speed difference dramatically.  If you compare the average 2h weapon speed of 92, to even a very quick 1h sword with 100 speed, after the penalty is accounted for, its 92 speed vs 70 - that of a long maul.

Haha, wow, maybe you're right.  Isnt it at least a 10% penalty?  30 is def spears in hoplite and 1h/2h swords.  I swear to god there's at least a 10% penalty.

As horrible as that sounds, 1h animations are very quick.  The left swing is by far the quickest, though it does less damage - if you aim for the face you'll do plenty.  Also - when you hold your swings for half a second or so, your character will let out a grunt - this gives you a 50% damage bonus.  If you hold your swing and don't release right away, somebody who taps block instead of holding it to be safe will let their guard down, and you'll get a very nice hit on them.  Trial and error, keep it up, its a fun game man, definitely takes some practice though.  Let me know if you ever want to go to duel server, I'll show you what I can.

You can stay shielder if you want. You can learn manual block on your own time in the duel server if you want, you don't need to play 2 hander or pole ever if you don't want to.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:49:02 am by Uumdi »

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:31:35 am »

Eh? That is complete bull.

Shields do not affect swing speed of 1h, only 1/2h (bastard swords) and spears.

Oh, and having a short and light weapon increases your movement speed (acceleration mostly, to be precise), which means that you'll get more effective reach. Never trust the weapon reaches displayed, different weapon types have different animations that grant them different reach bonuses/penalties.

And outreaching your opponent is much about timing and anticipation. There is no good in having a long weapon if you can't use all that reach.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:47:41 am by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:46 am »
+2
Weapon "speed" is mostly the wielder to be honest.

A shitty player with a fast weapon will still be slow, and a good player with a slow weapon can be fast.

The reason people are not responding is because these kinds of posts are very common (but usually in the beginners section).

Duel, practice and get better. You will soon discover proper offensive melee techniques. It's not something I can explain in detail in a short forum post, but I can promise you if you stick to the game you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and welcome to c-rpg btw  :P

EDIT: For more a more practical tip:

Don't go shielder. You want to pick up on manual blocking as fast as possible and besides 1h tend to be a bit weak in the damage department during the lower levels.

This. The vast majority of how fast a weapon is in practice is directly related to how good the player's footwork is. Weapon speed helps, but footwork is MUCH more important. This is the primary reason why Agility is useful, for Athletics. WPF is nice for the damage boost, but it's not nearly as useful as PS for this. Athletics + good footwork + good timing can make any weapon fast.

Take it from a pikeman, if you're getting spammed to death, you need to work on your timing and footwork.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:28 pm »
Uumdi you only get the 30% penalty on melee speed with a shield if you're using a polearm and shield, or a 1h/2h weapon (like a bastard sword) with a shield.  You also get a 30% penalty to melee speed if you are mounted (I think this affects all weapons, not sure if wielding a shield further decreases speed, I don't think it does for lances at least, but using a 1h/2h weapon with a shield from horse will slow it down than if you were using it as a 2h from horse).

But otherwise like these people are saying, your WPF will increase how fast a weapon is.  I think uumdi is right that it's about 7% faster at 100 WPF than at 0 wpf.  So it's noticeable, but not game changing.  Footwork is key like everyone's been saying.  And what they mean is how you position yourself as you're chambering your swing back, and as you are swinging it forward.  You can turn into your swings to make them hit faster, and some really good players can "hiltslash" where they hit you at the very beginning of their swing because of how they are turning into you right at the moment of release.

And regarding your 10 people viewing and not responding, there's a lot of lurkers on the forums who read but don't post.  And not everyone feels qualified enough to answer (or if they are only partially sure, they don't want to give bad information). 

I know how much your armor weighs will lower your WPF in ranged (archery, crossbow and throwing), but I don't know how it affects melee weapons.  I'm pretty sure the heavier your gear, the more WPF you "lose" for melee weapons.  At least it seems like when I'm wearing light peasant armor I swing a lot faster than in medium/heavy gear.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:06:39 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy