Author Topic: How to not get 1-shot constantly  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Josef

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
How to not get 1-shot constantly
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:46:25 pm »
+1
Hi,

I started playing on the c_rpg servers recently after also very recently getting the game. So, obviously, I'm a beginner and I'm have problems surviving. At the minute I am specced for 2H combat and have high-end low gear with the military scythe.

My problem is that everyone seems to move faster, swing faster and be much faster to bring their guard up. When I run into battle I have no chance and I just get 1-2 hit by people running circles around me. I try to block, but often fail. Even if I do manage to block I can't counter fast enough because as soon as I let my guard down I get hit and killed. There have also been several occasions where I put defended the correct part of my body, but the enemy still hit and killed me, what's up with that?

So, yeah, any tips for me so that I don't get 1 shot every time I run into battle? It's extremely frustrating.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: How to not get 1-shot constantly
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:49:41 pm »
Till you're level 30 and get some combat experience, cRPG will remain frustrating. It's just how it is.

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:38 pm »
+1
Hi,

I started playing on the c_rpg servers recently after also very recently getting the game. So, obviously, I'm a beginner and I'm have problems surviving. At the minute I am specced for 2H combat and have high-end low gear with the military scythe.

My problem is that everyone seems to move faster, swing faster and be much faster to bring their guard up. When I run into battle I have no chance and I just get 1-2 hit by people running circles around me. I try to block, but often fail. Even if I do manage to block I can't counter fast enough because as soon as I let my guard down I get hit and killed. There have also been several occasions where I put defended the correct part of my body, but the enemy still hit and killed me, what's up with that?

So, yeah, any tips for me so that I don't get 1 shot every time I run into battle? It's extremely frustrating.

make stf character with 12 if and go practicing duels with practice swords, thats why I do 24/7.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
+1
getting shield is the only way not to get 1 shotted, i keep getting 1 shotted as level 30 STRENGHT tank.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:32:18 pm by Herkkutatti »
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:00:51 pm »
+3
Welcome to peasant-hood! For about the first 20 levels expect to be cannon fodder.  People appear to be moving, swinging, blocking faster because they are.

Here's some good news:

Once you get closer to level 30 (where the majority of players are due to the soft-cap of retirement) you'll be in a better position to take a few hits.  If you go a rather strength heavy build like 24 strength 15 agility, or 27 strength 12 agility (which I recommend for newer players) and wear someone decent armor (I'd say stick around the 50 body armor area) you will probably take 2-5 hits most of the time before dying.

Here's some more bad news:

The cRPG population is relatively small compared to a lot of other games, and the average skill level has certainly gone up since I've been playing. That means you will be fighting a lot of people who have more experience at the game blocking and with footwork than you do, and you are naturally at a disadvantage.  If you keep your cool though and practice footwork and blocking etc (I suggest going to the duel server and finding someone of comparable skill to you when you get around level 20+) you'll slowly get the hang of it.

Regarding your specific problems of other people swinging faster than you, it is likely that you aren't swinging back right after a successful block.  If you block and then pause for a moment it gives the other player a chance to swing and hit you.  You'll need to work on your reaction so that as soon as the enemy attacks and you block you are ready to return fire.

If you are putting the correct block up but are still getting killed, it's possible they are getting around your block ie you turned too far to one side or the other and your block won't come into the weapon's path.  Either that or they were using a maul or other crushthrough weapon and you blocked an overhead attack and they crushed through it.

Good luck - cRPG may be frustrating but it's incredibly rewarding when you start getting your first few kills.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »
getting shield is the only way not to get 1 shotted, i keep getting 1 shotted as level 30 str tank.

Stranger?

*Badum-Tiss*

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:13 pm »
untill lvl 25-27 you are just usless(unless you are cav and can lance ppl). Untill then pick some spear or some other pike weapon and help others and poke ppl. Best way to learn blocking is to go in native and pick start practice tutorial and when you are able to block veteran player on max speed and great skill moust of the time then you are ready for crpg learning. MAybie you can try dtv but bots are now OP.
About 1 hit kills you need to get some armor. Pick some body armor equal or under 6000gold,for legs use sarranid mail boots,and for head use bascinet or any helmet under price of bascinet. Mail mittens are for hands,and pick some weapon under 10 000 gold,and you will make money. If you are 2h i suggest longsword,war cleaver,bastard sword,katana,practise longsword,goenindag or morningstar.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:29 am »
untill lvl 25-27 you are just usless(unless you are cav and can lance ppl)

WOOT ?
Even archers (on foot) start being dangerous at lv26.
And i believe a STR infantry is dangerous as soon as he has his weapon and 6 PS, even with 3 agi. So that's... dunno, lv15 ?

Thing is, as being said, the base melee skill has drastically increased. Just go in normal multiplayer once in a while, and... OH.

There's a lot of "peasant" guides out there, so take a look at them.
I'd reckon going full strength (who cares if you're slow), with 3 shield skill (to make sure you don't get shot before reaching the ennemy infantry), and a 2h sword. (with a thrust, else you'll get focused by cav too)

Also, join Siege, when you're fed up of duelling and want to level up, you learn way quicker than in battle.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 02:45:47 am »
Siege is better for learning like others said. I seem to level faster initially on battle, but good luck killing anybody there outside of pure luck. At least in siege I can catch people unawares or in places they can't dance around and brain them with my axe.
Hello

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 05:47:40 am »
Watch out for the different damage modifiers.

If somebody holds their attack for 0.5s-0.6s and manages to hit you, they get a 50% damage bonus. That bonus stacks multiplicatively with power strike. If they hit you in the head, that's another 20% damage. If you are both running at each other, that gives a very large speed bonus to the damage you take. If all of these things happen together, you can easily find yourself getting 1-shot even with armor.

Of course, if you're really low level, then it's not really going to matter. People are going to 1-shot you most of the time.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:59 am »
Interesting, I did not know that, so is that this "chambering" stuff I hear about?
Hello

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:57 am »
Interesting, I did not know that, so is that this "chambering" stuff I hear about?
No. Chambering (and several other melee mechanics) are described in this video.