Author Topic: Buff the Buckler already  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
Re: Buff the Buckler already
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 11:15:00 pm »
Just tested, even with 6 shield skill a lance killed it with about 5 hits
Seriously, all it has going for it is that it is 0 slot and fast

Notice that this is in the game balance area and not the realism section

if yu want better shield go and take other shield, what the problem?
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline SirProto

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • professional shot-misser
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: B0LT, pr0to
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:16 pm »
Back when I had 7 shield my bucker lasted for absolutely ages against greatswords, 1hs, spears and if I remember correctly it could take about 5-6 blows from a great axe before it broke

but to be honest, if you see someone with an axe coming at you as a shielder its often much better to put your shield on your back for a 1 vs 1 with them
(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 11:55:50 pm »
doesnt make much sense that smallest shield requires the MOST skill requirement to use.

You should be able to use it (not well) if you want

just like you should be able to pick up and throw anything or shoot a bow, abit with terrible speed & accuracy

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 12:07:19 am »
+1
doesnt make much sense that smallest shield requires the MOST skill requirement to use.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:32 am »
edit on topic:
LeoKing, used/uses steel buckler for a long time, he was top of scorebored. I don't think it had only to do with his shield skill or the shield himself though, but understanding game mechanics and that needs experience and also to read onto those topics here in the forum and most important spectate good players (those in your class to see how they handle different foes and those of other classes to see if they use similar patterns and then you can find a way to get to them).
Steel buckler 5-8 shield skill depending on weapon and what overall playstyle you are going for.

If you see axes or other shieldbreakers(make yourself familier with all of them how they look) and you have someone close by and there is at least another enemy without sheildbreaker it is a about foodwork so that you can position yourself that you engage the foe without sheildbreaker or are able to switch inbetween them. If it is only one enemy and you have a wingman, then let him be the front man and you try to get hits from the side. If you are the one facing the shieldbreaker you need to play high risk and very agressiv, meaning feintspam, outmanouver and spam when you think he would glance.

...which is something KingGylpe and Kinngrimm abuse on daily basis...
QQ their shields dont break in 4 strikes aboooze, they use forcefield, QQ i cant block shit so i need excuses to blame others because it just cant be me doing mistakes. There are plenty of players who get normal attacks which you often don't get, there are a lot of players who catch me feinting and kill me still. When i spectate you i often think to myself oh god why the fuck didn't he saw that coming, i think that with you more then with others i never lost a word till now about it. You fail on such a tremendous level so often, i see you regularly disengage out of fights leaving your teammates to die because you were hit one time. Sure you will then be the last on the battle field, but that doesn't make your team allways win.
Abuse my ass. I needed to invest fucking awful lots of points into a skill which basicly allows me only to have my shield not been broken for a little bit longer, when the fuck is your or other weapons are broken ... Leshma just give me more of the bs come at me.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:34:19 am by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 01:34:23 am »
Back when I had 7 shield my bucker lasted for absolutely ages against greatswords, 1hs, spears and if I remember correctly it could take about 5-6 blows from a great axe before it broke

but to be honest, if you see someone with an axe coming at you as a shielder its often much better to put your shield on your back for a 1 vs 1 with them

Really?
I'm calling BS. And even if you are telling the truth, it shouldn't take 7 shield skill to get a shield that virtually can't block projectiles on par with others. I'm not complaining that a GLA can 3 shot my shield, I'm complaining that it can be 3 shot by a longsword.

if yu want better shield go and take other shield, what the problem?

Game BALANCE
If it is a aesthetic item it should not be the second most expensive shield

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1155
  • Infamy: 722
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 01:39:28 am »
edit on topic:
QQ their shields dont break in 4 strikes aboooze, they use forcefield, QQ i cant block shit so i need excuses to blame others because it just cant be me doing mistakes. There are plenty of players who get normal attacks which you often don't get, there are a lot of players who catch me feinting and kill me still. When i spectate you i often think to myself oh god why the fuck didn't he saw that coming, i think that with you more then with others i never lost a word till now about it. You fail on such a tremendous level so often, i see you regularly disengage out of fights leaving your teammates to die because you were hit one time. Sure you will then be the last on the battle field, but that doesn't make your team allways win.
Abuse my ass. I needed to invest fucking awful lots of points into a skill which basicly allows me only to have my shield not been broken for a little bit longer, when the fuck is your or other weapons are broken ... Leshma just give me more of the bs come at me.

(click to show/hide)

Kinngrimm, you're right about me failing a lot. I'm not the best player but I know how to get kills. People know that. People also know that you're a nice guy and total scrub who hides behind his shield since he started playing this game. I know that because I remember when you started playing, I was among first people that helped you with some things :wink:

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 01:40:35 am »
Same reason could be said for the weaboo stuff.

They are more expensive then what they should be because of their aesthetic just like the rich outfits in armour.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 02:11:30 am »
Kinngrimm, you're right about me failing a lot. I'm not the best player but I know how to get kills. People know that. People also know that you're a nice guy and total scrub who hides behind his shield since he started playing this game. I know that because I remember when you started playing, I was among first people that helped you with some things :wink:
Leshma i am just tired, of people calling me abuuser, while i don't use cheats, bugs or unknown gamemechanics which not everyone could use for themselves. STF 15 shieldskill builds had been out there, indistructable shields, i dont even have that and never will, i just go for durability so i get a chance to strike and yes i am stubborn about my shield, majorly because it takes so much time to get anywhere here in this game and i never could be arsed to learn manual blocking in that way yes i am a nuub and i intend to keep it that way. The nice thing about different classes is, noone has to do it in a fixed way. And i challenge anyone to use the exact build i posted in "solid builds" thread to use it and get not only my scores but as many people can vouch for also be there when a teammate needs help. I go out on the flank to go get back to the center for several reason.

One of my first suggestions i have done, was that we should be able to respec at any given time, so that you would be able to basicly play any class at any time. You wouldn't loose stuff to STF or alts, you would be able to fill out roles in strategus as needed. You would need to make more genereations more often for more weapons  if you want to loom stuff for different classes therefor would go later for max level. You would gain soo much flexibility,
but it is not heared by our god.
So i am stuck with a leveling system which binds me to the one class i like best and want to get better in.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:13:00 am by kinngrimm »

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:44 am »
+1
Besides speed and massive resistance one of the buckler's greatest strengths is its low weight.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 03:27:55 am »
Besides speed and massive resistance one of the buckler's greatest strengths is its low weight.
true and that combined with high ath and less weight in other gear, makes you unbelievable fast in movement and you can do crazy stuff that way

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 03:28:49 am »
Same reason could be said for the weaboo stuff.

They are more expensive then what they should be because of their aesthetic just like the rich outfits in armour.
The weaboo stuff is decent at least

Maybe it's because of all the strength builds on the NA servers that make it seem to be paper. Only thing I can think of. The large resistance may look good on paper but in game it is actually quite shitty
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:30:37 am by Aleskander »

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline SirProto

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • professional shot-misser
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: B0LT, pr0to
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 07:53:07 am »
Really?
I'm calling BS. And even if you are telling the truth, it shouldn't take 7 shield skill to get a shield that virtually can't block projectiles on par with others. I'm not complaining that a GLA can 3 shot my shield, I'm complaining that it can be 3 shot by a longsword.

I shit you not!

Maybe it's because of all the strength builds on the NA servers that make it seem to be paper. Only thing I can think of. The large resistance may look good on paper but in game it is actually quite shitty

And this may be why, I play on EU, there's far more agility builds here which do a ton less damage to the shield :mrgreen:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:01 am »
Did you see the force field on that thing? Fucking ridiculous. Small shields shouldn't have this much coverage.

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 08:17:20 am »

I dunno, I can rely on a buckler on my 1h/2h alt with only about 5 shield for a good while.  It's great fun using it with a long dagger.