Author Topic: NA/North America (100/80) Map Discussion  (Read 2192 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
NA/North America (100/80) Map Discussion
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:08:51 pm »
There is no reason to insult map makers, Tydeus. Keep your criticism civil, please, and maybe also try to make better maps instead of just cursing about other people's hard work.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
Re: NA/North America (100/80) Map Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:12 am »
Discuss the maps on the NA 100/80 servers here. Discuss nominations as well.
No harassing map makers, constructive criticism only. Making a map is a lot more work then you'd think.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:03:12 am by Airith »
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:24 am »
Reserved.
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:40:05 am »
I've heard a handful of people by and by have issues with this map, but no one has asked for specific changes or pointed out bugs except Lorne a while back.  Granted I haven't been very active lately, but you can always contact me via PMs (this is directed to everyone). 

I can always make the map bigger: my first several maps were way too big so I opted for something smaller and simpler.  If someone wants to give constructive feedback, I'll look into seriously modifying/redesigning.  I realize cav aren't that useful here, as my main is a cav character.  I opted for something different than the usual in the design, but I might make it a bit more orthodox if people want it to change.  The problem is, I have never gotten to play it on a full server so I'm just going on second hand comments.  Server rotation is too darn big to test it maps effectively unfortunately, unless you play all the time (which I do not have the liberty nor the desire to do.  Well, maybe scratch the last part).

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it's a great looking map, man. The main issue I have with it is that it is my personal opinion that no map should make an entire class completely useless, and I feel that this map does that to cavalry. I'm all for maps where cavalry can't get everywhere, but I think they should be able to have enough room to do something.

Secondly, the spots with stairs actually have stairs that extend below the rock and down into the grass below the rock model. For some reason, people on the grass can walk into the side of the rock, clipping through the rock model and reaching the stairs. They are then, basically; inside the ground, invulnerable, and unreachable to anyone who doesn't know the glitch.(I watched someone do it, although I haven't tested it myself)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:41:21 am by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:21:54 pm »
From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it's a great looking map, man. The main issue I have with it is that it is my personal opinion that no map should make an entire class completely useless, and I feel that this map does that to cavalry. I'm all for maps where cavalry can't get everywhere, but I think they should be able to have enough room to do something.

Secondly, the spots with stairs actually have stairs that extend below the rock and down into the grass below the rock model. For some reason, people on the grass can walk into the side of the rock, clipping through the rock model and reaching the stairs. They are then, basically; inside the ground, invulnerable, and unreachable to anyone who doesn't know the glitch.(I watched someone do it, although I haven't tested it myself)
I will examine ways of making cavalry more useful.  And can you show me a screenshot of the spot you are talking about?  I'm not quite sure where this is. 

What about the overall size of the map?  If I spread the map out (moving the spawn points a bit further away) and added more room in the middle, would that make it too big?  I'm thinking that may be a reasonable help to cavalry if there is more ground down below, plus level it out a bit more and widen some objects and make it possible for cav to walk in more places.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »
I will examine ways of making cavalry more useful.  And can you show me a screenshot of the spot you are talking about?  I'm not quite sure where this is. 

What about the overall size of the map?  If I spread the map out (moving the spawn points a bit further away) and added more room in the middle, would that make it too big?  I'm thinking that may be a reasonable help to cavalry if there is more ground down below, plus level it out a bit more and widen some objects and make it possible for cav to walk in more places.

1 - Screenshot - This may be difficult, since the map only gets cycled once a day, but I will try next time I'm on the map.
2 - Suggested Changes - I think those changes would definitely improve the map, and I don't think it would make it too large. However, one of the issues we were discussing is that there are simply too many maps in the rotation right now, which is one of the problems that we have in testing and taking screenshots. The other is, while you're trying to test/screenshot stuff, people are trying to kill you. lol

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:42 pm »
How do I view maps in the editor? Last time I tried, I just got the same map over and over for all the Blank X maps.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:12:27 am »
The easiest way should be to copy the native module, then overwrite one of the regular maps with the provided .sco file.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:47:45 pm »
1 - Screenshot - This may be difficult, since the map only gets cycled once a day, but I will try next time I'm on the map.

Did his map some how not get screenshot?

Anyway ya me and Heroin were talking about and it's pretty silly.  Right now it says we have 3 less maps but before that we had 65 maps.  Heroin figured up that if each map went 5 rounds at 3 min per round it would take us 16.2 hours to get through 1 cycle. 

I think his numbers were pretty shy of what normally happens too espically the more people you have or on certain maps when you have too few.  16.2 hours is way too much time to go through it.  I really think we gotta vote off another 12-22 maps leaving us 40-50 maps.  40-50 maps is still to many but then as I suggested before we gotta vote on the 10 most popular ones put them on each server and take the 30-40 left and split them up on the 2 NA battle servers.

Or at least do something method that leads to the same end.  I honestly don't care how it's done but I would like to see the community more envolved in any process.  Please make sure you tell your friends about the map voting link thanks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:49:03 pm by Felagunda »

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:48:54 pm »
Regarding Bay Keep, I don't hate it but its not one of my favs.

I don't have any cav suggestions for you but there are a few things I do not like. I think there should be a little more cover for initial spawn area. Its still too open for projectiles as soon as you spawn. I also do not like the walk along the wall. Everyone is wide open for arrows for what seems like forever before the fight in the keep. I would like to see another way to get to the other side of the spawn. There are 2-3 broken bridges in the middle. Maybe something could get connected there. That would provide a third spot to fight up front. As it is, all fighting happens 1) inside the keep after a long walk, 2)a few on the grass, then once someone wins the keep, 3)at enemy spawn to get the stragglers. So there's lots of fighting in small spaces or catwalks. Neither of which are that fun.

I also would like a barrier on the back side of the keep, where the wooden walkway is located. Its easy to fall, survive and your only way back is to walk all the way around the map to the grass area. Some people don't realize you can even get back and will suicide. Either a barrier to prevent the fall or make the fall higher to ensure a death.

Edit for above post: Someone should change the MOTD on the servers into big bold letters notifying them of the map vote thread. I mention it in-game every time someone bitches and moans about a map but doesn't seem to make much difference.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:51:14 pm by Kung Fu Jesus »
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 07:59:33 pm »
Did his map some how not get screenshot?

Anyway ya me and Heroin were talking about and it's pretty silly.  Right now it says we have 3 less maps but before that we had 65 maps.  Heroin figured up that if each map went 5 rounds at 3 min per round it would take us 16.2 hours to get through 1 cycle. 

I think his numbers were pretty shy of what normally happens too espically the more people you have or on certain maps when you have too few.  16.2 hours is way too much time to go through it.  I really think we gotta vote off another 12-22 maps leaving us 40-50 maps.  40-50 maps is still to many but then as I suggested before we gotta vote on the 10 most popular ones put them on each server and take the 30-40 left and split them up on the 2 NA battle servers.

Or at least do something method that leads to the same end.  I honestly don't care how it's done but I would like to see the community more envolved in any process.  Please make sure you tell your friends about the map voting link thanks.

More maps are better, variety etc. etc.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:14:40 pm »

True but that doesn't mean more can't be made after many are removed.  Better ones.  Also doesn't mean that the maps on 80 man can't be different than 100.  That would truely be variety.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:28:28 pm by Felagunda »

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:59 am »

I disagree with this, partially. Variety is good, sure. But more maps aren't necessarily better, imo. I think 25 maps per server would provide plenty of variety, while trimming down the playing field to ensure that the 25 maps we have are all premium, high quality maps.

As I said before, I'd much prefer to have 25 AWESOME maps than 5000 maps that are meh.