Author Topic: Horses for a horse archer  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Horses for a horse archer
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »
What horses are good for a hore archer? Simply, what are the desired stats in a horse for a horse archer? Which horse to loom?

I see courser and arabian warhorse are meant to be good for horse archers. But I can hardly think they are. In my opinion survivability of a horse is much more important. Therefore destrier seems like a much better choice. But if I look a bit more closer to the horses shop, war horse has only -1 speed and -1 manuever while offering much more protection. After spending more time, even cataphract horse is beginning to feel like a good idea. Since cataphracts also used horse archery that's not very absurd. But after the moment I think that, even a plated charger would be a great choice for a horse archer who destroys everything on it's path and laughs at enemies while shooting them down; I think I must have a stop and ask for the community help. I personally do not have any experience playing as any type of cavalry in cRPG. I only know horses cost A LOT, so price should be a factor as well.

Simply, I am a bit confused at the moment about which horse is good to loom if I am going to be a (high level) horse archer. So I ask your help.

Edit: Please think that I will have 5 riding at first and play with it for some time, and then I will have 8 riding. Basically the question is which horse is good to loom when I have 5 riding and which horse is good to loom when I have 8 riding? It's actually 2 questions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:35:58 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Horses for a horse archer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »
The popular choice is:
Arabian Warhorse

Otherwise from what I have seen:
Destrier
Cataphract Horse/Large Warhorse
Desert Horse

With a classic 15/24 build, you should be able to ride the Arabian anyways.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:43:15 pm »
+2
Sumpter horse. Best horse in the game imo.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »
The popular choice is:
Arabian Warhorse

Otherwise from what I have seen:
Destrier
Cataphract Horse/Large Warhorse
Desert Horse

With a classic 15/24 build, you should be able to ride the Arabian anyways.
Well, thank you for your response but that doesn't quite explain what is the desired set of skills in a horse. Arabian Warhorse looks like a bad choice. 10 body armor is very very low to compensate it's good manueverability. Actually I am a fan of manueverability in a horse but it has no good stats other then that. I would be better with a steppe horse instead considering it is 12k cheaper.

For a lancer/heavy cavalry it is easy to go with the highest ratio of heavy/cheap horse I can get, and destroy all in my path like a mighty swadian knight/sarranid mamluke. But a horse archer must be a bit of something different :)

Sumpter horse. Best horse in the game imo.
Thanks for your trolling. You contributed a lot to the world.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 03:12:38 am »
Maneuverability is very important for a horse archer. You can't block while shooting, so you need to be able to dodge instead. That's why the arabian war horse is so popular - they're very maneuverable, and have pretty good speed besides. If you have enough riding skill, the arabian is the best option imo. The next best would probably be a desert horse, followed by destrier/courser and the heavy horses.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:52:38 pm »
A common HA build is:

15/24
ha 4
ri 6
pd 5
wm 8

Meaning you can use all horses but the arabian warhorse.
I would use desert horse most of the time. Maybe destrier or an armoured horse if there is a lot of ranged in enemy team.

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:54:22 pm »
Thanks for your trolling. You contributed a lot to the world.

I do try. But really sumpter horse is cheap as sin, so for peasants like me it really is the best horse.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 02:20:43 pm »
Oh ok then :)
Well money shouldn't be a problem, as steppe horse or desert horse are horses cheap enough to switch from time to tim, if I really feel desperate. But I am asking, which horse should I loom? I know you will most probably tell me to try every horse until I find the most suitable for me. Yet, I think asking never hurts since I never played as a Horse Archer in cRPG before. There may be good strategies I am not aware of. Which has a probability to change my gameplay, therefore the choice of a horse. Thanks for all of the replies so far, by the way. I think I have a general idea about horses now.

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »
Destrier, Courser or Arabian are really the best for a HA.

Destrier for survivability(close range support, bumping enemies, melee if build supports it)
Courser for speed(high speed hit and run tactics)
Arabian for maneuverability(close range support, cutting through enemy formations through agility)

Though I tend to use the Steppe horse when I notice a lack of enemy ranged or need to save money.  :wink:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:56:24 pm by Remy »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »
I prefered champ destrier , But i was the heavier HA bumbshooting alot etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login