Author Topic: Shield Questions about Axe Damage  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Shield Questions about Axe Damage
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:15:37 am »
Before I ask my question, I want to answer some predictable responses.

I am aware that my questions are detailed and that an answer might not be known with certainty. Please don't post to tell me that you don't know or that you assume no one knows.

If you want to speculate on the answer, I have no problem with that. Just make sure you state that you are speculating to avoid confusing people who might use the forum search looking for the answers to similar questions. 

Question 1: I know that shields are delt extra damage from axes. Does the "armor" of a shield prevent the damage before or after this bonus is applied? For example, let's assume an axe does 3x damage to a shield.

If the axe swings for 20 damage, and the shield has 10 resistance, does it deal 20x3 = 60 - 10 = 50?

Does it deal (20-10)x3 = 30?

Question 2: The shield skill gives an 8% damage mitigation per rank to a shield. Is this applied to the axe damage before or after the shield's resistance (armor rating) is subtracted from the swing?

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
Re: Shield Questions about Axe Damage
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:44:22 am »
If i remember well, axes ignore armor of shield.
That's why board are better against axes, and steel shield is bs against axes.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:54:31 am »
To answer your question(s) - Axes have a bonus modifier against shields.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:57:16 am »
1slander did you read his post?

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:02:55 am »
1slander did you read his post?

Did you read the crpg wiki?

Axes do extra damage to shields!  The science behind it is futile.  If the wiki doesn't have the info then tbh nobody here probably does.  But be my guest and solve the riddles of the universe and while you're at it why don't you break down the exact percentiles involved in everything.

It's a game.

If you are planning on adding the info - should you uncover it - to the wiki, then all the power to you.  But I really doubt you will find anything out past ------------------------------------

Axes do extra damage to shields.

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:44:55 am »
Thanks for the response, Blondin. I guess I misunderstood the basics of the system. I didn't consider the possibility of shield armor just being zero effectively for axes.

Please don't respond to the troll, though. Let him go away so we don't wash out the thread with nonsesne and maybe some more information will come out of it.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 04:29:24 am »
Thanks for the response, Blondin. I guess I misunderstood the basics of the system. I didn't consider the possibility of shield armor just being zero effectively for axes.

Please don't respond to the troll, though. Let him go away so we don't wash out the thread with nonsesne and maybe some more information will come out of it.

Like I said - all the power to you if you can find this info out and then add it to the crpg wiki. I know you probably get asked this all the time, but - UmadBro?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:34:52 am by 1slander »

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 08:07:52 pm »

^

This might be feasibly tested in the duel server. Use an axe and a sword with the same damage, get a buddy with multiple shields, and see how many hits it takes to break various hp and armor shields. You might get an idea of how much damage per swing using the melee damage calculator, or at the very least be able to make a determination on what type of shield you would want in which situation.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »
Shield armor helps against axes. At least it does in native.
But most axes do so much damage vs shield that most bypasses armor, so you are better of with 4* HP of huscarl shield vs. them.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »
Axes do double damage to shields, everything else works as normal.

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:02:46 pm »
Thank you all for the responses.

cmpxchg8b, thanks to you for the detailed answer.

I am still unclear as to whether "works as normal" means it deals double damage after it exceeds the armor or before, though. The only other example of bonus damage doesn't apply until after the armor is exceeded; however, the way you word it makes me think you mean the opposite.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:05:44 pm by Tenzek »

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:12 pm »

I am still unclear as to whether "works as normal" means it deals double damage after it exceeds the armor or before, though. The only other example of bonus damage doesn't apply until after the armor is exceeded; however, the way you word it makes me think you mean the opposite.

Now if you're such a saint why don't you take the time and add that info to the crpg wiki. 

Every person you're fighting has a different strength and wpf behind that weopon they're using.  Also, the weopon itself could of been heirloomed anywhere from none to 3 times, adding damage value every time right.  So how does knowing anything past it doubles the damage really help alot in battle.  Unless of course like I said - you're adding value to the wiki.  You call me a troll, meh.  I use a shield on my main.  You can have your shield just splinter from one hit - amazingly - so how much did he hit for?  Too much!  Probably a strength build with an heirloomed axe.  Other people can hammer away on it and it won't break before they die first.  Sure you can narrow it all down to an exact science but that exact science is random in battle considering the variables included with each individual opponent.

Use the character builder calculator and it will tell you the damage done by any specific axe and the modifier added or subtracted by the build on that character.   You can try different variable combinations of builds and basically build a parameter of agi to str builds and everything in between.  Then I guess add the + modifier of heirloomed builds making another paraneter of possible damage depending if it's stock or heirloom. 

Call me a troll...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:56:59 pm by 1slander »

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:16:50 am »

From what I understand it means 200% damage (100% bonus as if you got it from speed). Not sure if it adds or multiplies to the other % bonuses. I guess the latter which means much more damage. It also means that pierce damage will go through the shield armor better. The morningstar is a mean shield mincer even though the raw damage on it is lower than the 2H axes (but it's pierce vs. cut).