Author Topic: Seige Map: Phoenix Castle  (Read 4760 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Seige Map: Phoenix Castle
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 10:32:50 pm »
You probably won't like to hear this, but symmetry sucks. It's boring. Otherwise I like the terraced design, and integration of the courtyard prop is still ace.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 12:53:32 am »
You probably won't like to hear this, but symmetry sucks. It's boring. Otherwise I like the terraced design, and integration of the courtyard prop is still ace.
actually I love hearing opinions... The more the merrier  :D Ill work it out to be more pleasing to the eye. If you can think of anything to spice it up a bit let me know. I want defenders to have an edge... But attackers need an element too... but I got an idea and ill post again when i have it down

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 02:03:56 am »
This map looks awesomeboss and this should be the battle music for the map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPBfB1H-bNU

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 12:42:31 am »
actually I love hearing opinions... The more the merrier  :D Ill work it out to be more pleasing to the eye. If you can think of anything to spice it up a bit let me know. I want defenders to have an edge... But attackers need an element too... but I got an idea and ill post again when i have it down

It's not even an aesthetical argument. It's more about choice. If I can attack from the left or the right, I want those two to be different. It doesn't have to be fundamentally different, just a bit so that my subconcious can make a decision without me having to think about it and noticing that it doesn't really matter. The player should never feel that his decisions don't matter in a game.

In the past, when i mapped for other games, there were some really talented mappers, but they couldn't drop symmetry, and their maps were beautiful, but noone played them after the first few spins.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 01:27:37 pm »
It's not even an aesthetical argument. It's more about choice. If I can attack from the left or the right, I want those two to be different. It doesn't have to be fundamentally different, just a bit so that my subconcious can make a decision without me having to think about it and noticing that it doesn't really matter. The player should never feel that his decisions don't matter in a game.

In the past, when i mapped for other games, there were some really talented mappers, but they couldn't drop symmetry, and their maps were beautiful, but noone played them after the first few spins.
In battle maps near-symmetry is king, for balance; In siege it is not necessary as choke points and varied attacking paths are king.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »
I don't agree. Symmetry should be avoided in map design. I never liked symmetrical maps in any game I played. If you can't balance an asymmetrical map, you shouldn't create maps.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26:09 pm »
Update: The map is 90% different... haha so any new comments will be used as ideas to implement into this map. Since choices of attack, choke points for defense, and variance in architecture seem to be what people like thats exactly what Im doing.
Im keeping the courtyard idea, the city has been destroyed and rebuilt based off of a more mountain type city/town. It wont be so steep that the attackers are walking up hill, you will still be able to run. The reason i chose to make the city in a slant is that it actually helps FPS. I notice if u cant see everything it ups the FPS, if theres not too much clutter its of course helps FPS... Not to mention I think it looks cooler than a flat city. The terrace in the front is expanded on one side so far. The castle is 80% left the same but the dungeon is taken out and the back end/door area is being rethought out. So far the FPS is about 3x better than it was. I will post screenshots for my next post so that u can visualizes whats coming...

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 05:57:09 am »
These are some shots of what the map is right now. Remember this is a (re)work in progress. Any ideas of what should be in this map please, please let me know. I want this to be the map I was hoping to make. The idea still remains that i want it to be a city and castle though i am not rapping the city all around. Im going to build a mountain around it. Thats still vague on how the mountain will be shaped... I still need a back door and Im stumped on that one.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:50:04 am by Ronan »

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 06:05:26 am »
It Looks as though alot of care was put into this map. Good work!  :)

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 11:12:10 am »
Looks nice so far, do you intend to have a fight for the city, too? If yes, care to not make it too big.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 12:24:39 pm »
Looks nice so far, do you intend to have a fight for the city, too? If yes, care to not make it too big.
I am planning on having the Defenders on the rising platforms. The city itself has to be a lot smaller than last time. Its going to cover 1/2 - 2/3 the castle. Back side Im not sure of yet but the city is only going to be front area this time. I  will make it a lot smaller. I do got a bit of a suprise for ya though when I touch up an area. Itll be the reason why im going to have some people on the out side. Im thinking that the idea will be to hold them on the stairs; when stairs are lost fall back to wall/gate; when wall/gate is lost fall back to smaller wall, and then to the flag room. Im still needing to rearrange some of what u see here.

I have learned a bit from the last time. 1. city was too big, way too big. 2. need at least a secondary way in to the flag room primarily accessible to Defence 3. dont put too much in/ dont make map HUGE. Im sure theres more but everything will be flushed out better. Entry points will still need tweaking i think but i hope the map it self will be more playable than the last...

EDIT:(new pics, tel me what u think)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:41:26 pm by Ronan »

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:57 am »
You can change the background, it's the outer_terrain_xy stuff in the scenes.txt. Maybe there is some nice hilly/mountainous background you can use.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:32 pm »
New Update. I believe one more week and I should be done. Going to go over every detail. These new screenshots are what ive gotten done up until today. The FPS is holding strong. Theres a new "back door" which is a long ways around but if you like to ninja, its there. Defenders have another way down to the flag. I just made a ladder because I couldnt think of anything better with out it being too crazy... Havent put movable siege ladders in yet, nor have I put in entry points for D/A or flag. Gates and doors need to be placed. One side of the town needs to be finished and the back side or the castle too. Well here it is...Hope its better than the original.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 10:35:42 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Is that towers covering the side entrance? If so I really like that idea. Having the defensive team able to perch in towers and archer/crossbow while they come up the side entrance.

(Side note) maybe make the front stairs not so long because I can see a problem being that crossbows/archers are gonna perch at the top and snipe down the stairs and since you walk so slow up the stairs it may be a problem with non shielders to get to the top. Not to mention fending off other melee.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 11:45:50 pm »
Is that towers covering the side entrance? If so I really like that idea. Having the defensive team able to perch in towers and archer/crossbow while they come up the side entrance.

(Side note) maybe make the front stairs not so long because I can see a problem being that crossbows/archers are gonna perch at the top and snipe down the stairs and since you walk so slow up the stairs it may be a problem with non shielders to get to the top. Not to mention fending off other melee.

Yepper, itll be a short tower covering the back door... The way up is long and zig zags. I see how the front stairs can be a hay day for archers, thanks for pointing it out.  You do get the benefit of buildings covering u til the stairs. How bout I give you some cover? Ill throw something on the stairs(any suggestions are welcome) and put a screenshot of it to see what you non-shielders think. If its not liked Ill just re do the bottom part of the stairs. Ill have to rework a bit of the town, but no biggie :D

Oh and the towers will have a use this time. I noticed on my original Defence only had a chance if they camped the flag. But now theres a way up and down the roof (3 stories up/down) accessable to each level in the "courtyard prop". And all three(might be another tower, not sure though) towers can see most of the map. Theres another side entrance on the other side, leading to the frontal wall, guarded by a breakable gate built into a "passage house prop". Im getting really detailed into this since the last map was rushed towards the end so that i could get it out. Wont make that mistake twice. Any suggestions on Defence start positions? 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:00:20 am by Ronan »