Author Topic: Newbie in strategus  (Read 1587 times)

Offline cerkosan

• Knight
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cerkosan, Meco, Bucko, Maksbaba, A_je_to_Mat, Peter_von_Krems
Newbie in strategus
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »
Hi,

I started with strategus 5 days ago and havent participated in any battle.
I read sth. on forums, got some info on team forum and asked questions on IRC channel (I must thank once again to Mustikki who explained me a lot about strategus - THX).

I still have problems with understanding basics of the game.

If someone would be so kind to answer following questiones I would be very grateful:
1) is the character build in strategus (when fighting battles) the same as on crpg.net character page (goes trough retiremnets and lvl etc.)?
2) is it wise to accumulate most earned gold on one player when playing in team (what are strenght/weakness of souch strategy)?
3) is it wise longterm that one player in team has great army and others just few recruits (max 49)?
4) when fighting a battle - if you have 49 men with you, does it count to side on which you are fighting (+49) or are just recrutis from the guy who is attacking/defending?
5) if you have 49 recruits and fighting alone against attacker/defender - that means you have 49 lives if your spawn point is not captured before?
6) Am I right about weapons - you can use weapons you have in your inventory in strategus menu and if helping somebody those which are available at his inventory?

I am still learning so I hope I havent asked stupid questions.  :oops:

Thx for any answer in advance!
GC
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:45:03 pm by cerkosan »

Offline MarktpLatz

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: MarktpLatz_HRE MarktPole_HRE MarktArcher_HRE MarktShielder_HRE
Re: Newbie in strategus
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »
+1
1.) Yes
2.) Yes, on the players who manage a huge army, because there´s a high upkeep for big armys and the also have to buy the equipment
3.) Yes, as mentioned in point two: You pay upkeep for your men if the amount of troops is higher than 49
4.) All your men are fighting for your side
5.) Yes
6.) Yes, you can use the weapons you have in your inventory
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cerkosan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:49 pm »
Thank you very much for clearing it for me MarktpLatz!!!!

I hope it helps to some other newbie as well.
GC

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:40:30 pm »
+4
Hi,

I started with strategus 5 days ago and havent participated in any battle.
I read sth. on forums, got some info on team forum and asked questions on IRC channel (I must thank once again to Mustikki who explained me a lot about strategus - THX).

I still have problems with understanding basics of the game.

If someone would be so kind to answer following questiones I would be very grateful:
While marketlatz answered some of it, here's a bit deeper answers:

1) is the character build in strategus (when fighting battles) the same as on crpg.net character page (goes trough retiremnets and lvl etc.)?
Yes, you use the same character build. Same goes for any mercenaries you hire for the fight. You will also be able to see the level of those who applies, but not their builds.

2) is it wise to accumulate most earned gold on one player when playing in team (what are strenght/weakness of souch strategy)?
Yes and no. If one guy has all the gold then he can pay upkeep for a big army, craft a lot of stuff or whatever. There also is no danger to lose the gold from other attacking you, BUT you can lose the gold if he gets teleported. Teleportion happens if you haven't logged into strategus for some time (not sure exact time, but don't go over 7 days) and you lose all gold, troops and equipment. Also having the gold spread out makes it easier for people to craft goods/equipment since they wont have to constantly ask the one guy to send them more. Still, having one active guy with most of the gold is a good strategy.

3) is it wise longterm that one player in team has great army and others just few recruits (max 49)?
Long term? No. No no no, and even more no. Only send most of the troops to one guy when that guy is about to attack someone, is getting attacked or you need the troops to carry crates (2 troops for 1 crate, alternatively 1 horse for 1 crate). The more troops a person/fief has, the higher the upkeep and it scales. That means, the upkeep for a small army might be 1 gold per troop, but the upkeep for a HUGE (10k+) army might be somewhere along 10g per troop. I don't have the formulae here, but you can check it out.

That being said, the best long-term plan, is for everyone to have at least 49 troops (no upkeep!), and then put a lot of troops into 3, 4, 5 (or more, depending on how many troops in total) guys party. So you have, f.ex., a 10000 troops, but spread over 3 guys with 3k each, and the rest divided into 49 groups. Of course, this means you have to be pretty active with them so that you can reinforce each other if anyone gets attacked.

4) when fighting a battle - if you have 49 men with you, does it count to side on which you are fighting (+49) or are just recrutis from the guy who is attacking/defending?
I'm unsure if you know how it works, but you can't reinforce someone and still have "your" troops. You have to transfer the troops/items into the other guys party, and the only way to get it back is for him to send it to you when the fight is over. The troops of people around the guys fighting don't do anything at all.
Example: You have an army of 100 troops. You have a clanmember  right next to you with 49 troops. Someone attacks you with 200 troops. If you two don't do anything, you fight the battle with your 100 troops against the enemys 200 troops. But if your ally sends you his 49 troops, then you will fight the battle with 149 troops, against the enemys 200 troops. Your ally will then have 0 troops.

There's also a time limit on reinforcing, which I don't remember in my head. Should be in the FAQ.

5) if you have 49 recruits and fighting alone against attacker/defender - that means you have 49 lives if your spawn point is not captured before?
Yes. Your side can spawn 49 times before you lose. If they take your flag, you are unable to spawn, and if none of your team is alive then, then you also lose.

6) Am I right about weapons - you can use weapons you have in your inventory in strategus menu and if helping somebody those which are available at his inventory?
Yes, you use the troops in your party inventory. Your STRATEGUS inventory, NOT your c-RPG inventory, just to make it clear. All the people fighting for you use your inventory, not their own strategus/cRPG inventory.

And the same about troops also applies to equipment. You can only use the items of your ally if he actually sends them to you. The same time-limit for reinforcing also applies. If he doesn't send the equipment, you can't use it.

Unrelated note: This is one of the things I want them to introduce. Helping other parties out, without actually having to GIVE them your stuff. Just going to them on the map and reinforcing them would be a much better system.

I am still learning so I hope I havent asked stupid questions.  :oops:

Thx for any answer in advance!
GC
The only stupid questions are those someone already answered to you :P Glad I could help.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline krakkur

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • i life to slay
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AoW
  • Game nicks: Praefectus_Ballista
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
many tnx for clearing some of the Q. but now i have a another Q, how do i fight battles??? if i want to attak a castle, how do i actually fight that battle?? of what server and so on, and time ad etc..

tnx

Offline MarktpLatz

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: MarktpLatz_HRE MarktPole_HRE MarktArcher_HRE MarktShielder_HRE
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:49:59 pm »
+1
If you want to attack a castle, just select it in strat and klick on "Attack xxx Castle", the battle will take place 24 hours after you arrived at the castle for the attack.
The amount of tickets you have for that battle will refer to the number of troops you have with you, same for the equipment.
The Server will be either NA_3 or EU_3, referring on the location of the castle.

Offline cerkosan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:33:27 am »
Thx for clearing many things MarktpLatz & Zapper!

I am playing strategus for 2 weeks now but havent participated in any battle.
I still cant figure it out:
1) when you see battle on strategus map, you go to battles and apply for battle on crpg; here I dont know - I saw people beeing near me on map and have applyed for battle on other side of map; I dont think they can manage to get to other side of map in 24 hrs to take part in battle or does it count that you apply for battle beeing anywhere on map and you dont have to go to battle position?
2) does quick marsh affect your fighting cappatibilities?
3) can you transfer gold from Crpg to strategus (as I figured it out option in other direction doesnt work anymore - send to relatives)?
4) I was watching siege on Samarra castle yesterday (1k vs 7k; quite inetersting):
           - how do you get siege equipement (siege tower, ledders?)?
           - are those blue flags spawning points or is spawning point that wodden thing? 
           - i saw that people were wearing different equipent - how come if you can use only the equipenet and recruits that attacker/defender have in inventory? Did they transfer all equipenet to attack/defence leader before battle/siege?
5) strategus time - Night Time: Starts at X:XX GMT 3 and lasts 8 hours. That means EU time -3?
Thx again.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:16:23 am by cerkosan »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 02:49:09 pm »
+2
Thx for clearing many things MarktpLatz & Zapper!

I am playing strategus for 2 weeks now but havent participated in any battle.
I still cant figure it out:
No problem, glad to help.

Let me answer your new questions:
1) when you see battle on strategus map, you go to battles and apply for battle on crpg; here I dont know - I saw people beeing near me on map and have applyed for battle on other side of map; I dont think they can manage to get to other side of map in 24 hrs to take part in battle or does it count that you apply for battle beeing anywhere on map and you dont have to go to battle position?
You don't have to be near the battle to fight in it. You don't even have to be on the map at all. As long as your character is designated as a "main" you can apply for a battle. You do NOT have to be near them on the map. When you fight FOR someone, you are not "you" as your strategus character. You are one of the "soldiers" in that guys army. It's all his troops and equipment, you are just one of the grunts under his command.

The only reason you would want to be close to someone on the map for a battle is if you want to help him with troops/equipment. I mentioned this in the last post, I think. Anyway, you only have to be close to them on the map if you want to give them your stuff.

2) does quick marsh affect your fighting cappatibilities?
No. It doesn't. Only affects the movement speed of your army. Ofc, when you are attacking/being attacked (in "lockdown" mode) you can't move at all so it's no reason to use a quick march then. Mainly use quick march if you want to catch up to a guy so you can attack him/her or if you want to run away from someone trying to attack you.

3) can you transfer gold from Crpg to strategus (as I figured it out option in other direction doesnt work anymore - send to relatives)?
No, you can't. The closest thing you can do is pay someone else cRPG gold for giving you Strategus gold. If you're interested in some good deals with this, I can put you in contact with some good people.

4) I was watching siege on Samarra castle yesterday (1k vs 7k; quite inetersting):
           - how do you get siege equipement (siege tower, ledders?)?
           - are those blue flags spawning points or is spawning point that wodden thing? 
           - i saw that people were wearing different equipent - how come if you can use only the equipenet and recruits that attacker/defender have in inventory? Did they transfer all equipenet to attack/defence leader before battle/siege?
Ok. First of all, you get ladders by buying them or crafting them.
NOTE! Since ladders are disabled in normal cRPG, you can't get crafting skill in them anymore. This means the people who can craft them are rare, and you are mainly gonna have to buy them. Check the buying menu in strat. They are considered "Throwing" weapons.

Ladders are bought, same with siege shields. Found in "Throwing" section.

To get other siege equipment, you need a Construction Site and Construction Material. These are also found in the "Throwing" section. They basically work by you placing a C-site, press F on it until you choose what you want to build, and then throw C-materials on it until it is built. If you want to, I can show you how to build, man, and use the different siege equipment. I got them all in my inventory. Add me (ZapperNor) to steam and I can show you on EU_3.
NOTE! All siege equipment are pretty straight forward to use and not very hard to figure out. The catapult is the exception and is a bit harder to use. Make sure you properly know how to use it or hire someone who does (like me), or you might use a lot of resources on nothing. Also note that the catapults are usually bugged and I think they currently don't work on walls. This is because they tried to change how they worked by implementing destructible walls. (although now with the engine update for warband because of Napoleonic wars, this is now probably much easier to do. Napoleonic Wars includes destructible walls (OMG AWESOME :D) and should now make it easier for chadz and Crew to implement it. I'm looking forward to it :D)

5) strategus time - Night Time: Starts at X:XX GMT 3 and lasts 8 hours. That means EU time -3?
Thx again.
First of all. Go to the character page of your main, then go on settings and then change the time there so it is correct. That should make the battlelist show the right time for YOU.

GMT= Greenwich Mean Time, which is the timezone the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland). Germany, France, Italy, Norway etc. are in GMT+1. So for most of "Europe" it is -1.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline cerkosan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »
Zapper, thank you very much for answering and explaining in detail.

I am afraid I can not contact you on steam as I dont use it  :oops: had problems with games all the time so I stoped to use it 2 years ago ... as I heard last autoupdate made some sound problems in crpg...

I will join some battle (attack), just to see how it is done (building siege tower etc.)... I will ask for help when I get some army but as we play as team only our leader will have big army so he will be organising equipement; we "peasants" are only crafting support...  I just hope we will stick to our plan as till now nobody is working in this direction  :mrgreen:
Hope to see you on strat in same team soon...

thx again GC

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:06:17 pm by cerkosan »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
Zapper, thank you very much for answering and explaining in detail.

I am afraid I can not contact you on steam as I dont use it  :oops: had problems with games all the time so I stoped to use it 2 years ago ... as I heard last autoupdate made some sound problems in crpg...

I will join some battle (attack), just to see how it is done (building siege tower etc.)... I will ask for help when I get some army but as we play as team only our leader will have big army so he will be organising equipement; we "peasants" are only crafting support...  I just hope we will stick to our plan as till now nobody is working in this direction  :mrgreen:
Hope to see you on strat in same team soon...

thx again GC
Gimme your TS info and I'll track you down :P

Offline cerkosan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:40 am »
I have another question  :D
I am crafting in village with 100%efficency.
" Craft Selection: currently: Eels
Name   Skill   Discount   Cost
Eels    100    50%   3"
Then I give start it says - work; when I refresh after some time it says - nothing. No goods were crafted in 12 hrs and giving them to craft at least 5 times.
How is that? Is that a bug or it depends on sth else? How do you give crafting and that it continues crafting?
It happened to me in almost all villages last week but I though that there are some limits in towns but now it is strange.
Anyone having same problems? Am I missing sth?
GC
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:13:01 pm by cerkosan »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »
+1
I have another question  :D
I am crafting in village with 100%efficency.
" Craft Selection: currently: Eels
Name   Skill   Discount   Cost
Eels    100    50%   3"
Then I give start it says - work; when I refresh after some time it says - nothing. No goods were crafted in 12 hrs and giving them to craft at least 5 times.
How is that? Is that a bug or it depends on sth else? How do you give crafting and that it continues crafting?
It happened to me in almost all villages last week but I though that there are some limits in towns but now it is strange.
Anyone having same problems? Am I missing sth?
GC
999/1000 times this happens because of the same reason. You are trying to craft one Trade Goods type while you have another one currently on you. You can only have 1 type of Goods at a time. If you then try to craft another type, you'll just be switched to "begging".

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »
+1
Zapper - you are an incredibly helpful guy. People should pay you c-RPG gold or strat goods for your advice. Think about price list  :D
Zapper + 100

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:33:18 pm »
+1
Jarlek, even though i hate blue, nice posts, very helpful. You might want to consider putting it all together and making an equivalent to ToDs
so really sorry for this harpag, but +1 from each cd key?
beginners help, a "Zapper's guide to Strategus" if there is not one already

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 08:40:58 pm »
Zapper - you are an incredibly helpful guy. People should pay you c-RPG gold or strat goods for your advice. Think about price list  :D
Zapper + 100
Thank you Harpag. I try to help anyone I can. Unlike all the trolls around, I actually WANT to help new guys. More people playing the game makes it all more fun :D
Jarlek, even though i hate blue, nice posts, very helpful. You might want to consider putting it all together and making an equivalent to ToDs
so really sorry for this harpag, but +1 from each cd key?
beginners help, a "Zapper's guide to Strategus" if there is not one already
I doubt I will ever do that. I might do it, but I think it's too much time and I'm too afraid I will give information that might be wrong. What I think can be useful for others I try to put in the wiki. I'm basically the only one putting stuff there and I want more people to use it. Not just write there, but also link to it to show other/new players. Guides are useful and stuff, but we really ought to get the wiki into a decent state. Please help out whenever you can. Especially the Strategus info is crap and need to be done something about. This also means if you see me, or anyone else, write something smart/helpful, then ADD IT TO THE WIKI! It's not always I get the time or think it's that important, but if it helps you, then you can be sure it will help others. Shit, I just realised it's ages since I wrote something there. Let's all go and improve the wiki!

Although now that I think about it. I might make a guide. But as I said, I'm too afraid to post wrong/false information there. Doubt I'll do it unless I got a dev to ask (aka bug all the time) about things so I can confirm that what I write is true. Meanwhile, all I can do is add stuff to the wiki.