Author Topic: Crossbows and the Return of FPS  (Read 16094 times)

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
Re: Crossbows and the Return of FPS
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 05:51:53 pm »
Well because of mr. Tai-Its a valid tactic-Feng and alikes that wont drop their ranged in all their generations atleast to try something else i shall also be an xbowmen once again my next gen.

Just dont have the patience to fight in the shadows or run around the furthest corners of the maps to avoid the barrage of arrows with probably 50/50 maybe less chance of sucession.

Fuck it im a quitter, props to few pure melee guys still on the field getting good scores, youre exeptional players in my book and probably the best ones on the servers, i just dont have the nerves to suck in arrows all the time.

Ill grind 5 more mil. try to have as much fun as possible with my Maul, but after playing sunday for about 6-7 hrs in witch there were 7 (i counted) draws, i really need a break from the game.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 06:13:53 pm »
mehh... pure 2h is boring
atleast for me ):

i dont really care about ranged now, and i never cared...
also i usually have one character for every weapon, so
the only complain i have is against crushtrough

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 06:48:37 pm »
Funny, I was experimenting just today with the Character Calculator, tinkering with a hypothetical 1h/shield/archer hybrid, and ran into the same issue with lack of skill points. So, I dump 6 points in archery for 0 in xbow, throw 80 WPF or so in there, and I'm done with my char, with 6 extra skill points to spend!

The system is flawed.

No weapon should be as useful as xbows currently are at 0 WPF and 0 skills invested.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 06:50:01 pm »
I would find a more "useless" no-skill cross bowing and a maybe  more useful skillful cross bowing a good step...

You know, so people with 0 crossbow/archer skill actually are nearly useless, while those who highly focus (and create natural weaknesses in other areas, like me lee or speed) are the real ranged damage dealers.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »
I do dodge (bows anyway) and I do sometimes go with a shield. I'm not complaining about getting shot. I expect to get shot. But things are now close to where we were with crossbows before the patch - every battle feels more like modern, or at least Napoleonic era, combat because of the massive amounts of shooting going on. It will never be quite as bad because bows are slower now, but nevertheless the end result of the increased wpf cost has been more hybrids which has meant a lot more crossbows, which means less talking, more raiding fighting, more shooting.

Most battles in the middle ages also had insane levels of range. Only hollywood has those stupid levels of mass melee combat and no range, mainly because watching melee is more entertaining.

Regardless, I would like to see 1 wpf xbow skill result in horrible accuracy, then higher levels of skill actually mean something.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 07:36:53 pm »
i'd like to see requirements based on WPF (and PD, PT, PS) and not only on strength. this would solve a lot of things (archers wielding huge weapons, people taking javelins without any wpf, infantry taking spare crossbows etc...)
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 07:39:16 pm »
i'd like to see requirements based on WPF (and PD, PT, PS) and not only on strength. this would solve a lot of things (archers wielding huge weapons, people taking javelins without any wpf, infantry taking spare crossbows etc...)

Yes! This would also buff agi a bit, since more wpf=stronger weapons.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 07:44:02 pm »
I still support skill/wpf based weapon requirements 100%. Imagine a game where not every 1 hander is steel pick/sidesword, not every 2 hander is Danish/German Greatsword or Flamberge, Poleaxes are very rare, throwing lances are hard to find, and sniper xbows are virtually gone. Do it for balance, do it for variety, do it for justice!

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 08:02:14 pm »
Well because of mr. Tai-Its a valid tactic-Feng and alikes that wont drop their ranged in all their generations atleast to try something else

Stop trying to shit talk me. I'm not renowned for liking emotional outbursts.
FYI, I played mostly with pure polearms, which, last time I checked, were melee weapon. As a matter of fact most people remember that I played a LOT as a peasant with nothing else but a fork - when everyone else was running in plate. Perhaps you want to say that's overpowered combination as well?
I played throwing 1 gen only, to see how it is and have a bit of fun, and was testing it on alt very shortly. Pre-patch I had a (horse) archer which I didn't use for a long time because I found archery boring.

Now that xbow wpf finally means something I am a crossbowman, because it suits my roleplaying (Rhodok/Chinese), and it is what I mostly played back in Native, and I'm going to continue playing it here and griefing all you "honorable no-fa-g-chers allowed" people as much as I can. I will shoot you all in the back as much as I can, I will use my athletics to run away, I will tactically force draws whenever possible, and I'll use anything and everything that isn't against the rules to annoy all you "honorable must-not-use-this" people.

In medieval ages Church banned crossbows because they were so effective and "unfair" towards poor pious knights. Well guess what, I don't care about your Church, I despise it, and despise 'codes of honor'. I will use tactics and revel in them.

I'm really tired with forum swarming with people who want to tell others how to play the game and how not to play the game.

Just dont have the patience to fight in the shadows or run around the furthest corners of the maps to avoid the barrage of arrows with probably 50/50 maybe less chance of sucession.

If you want to duel, feel free, there's a Duel server. Sayonara.

i just dont have the nerves to suck in arrows all the time.

It's called tactic. And being patient is about being tactical. BTW, every horseman will teach you that. Try charging a mob in the beginning on your horse. Doesn't work? Well guess what, that's because good horsemen don't just ram into enemy mob.

Ill grind 5 more mil. try to have as much fun as possible with my Maul, but after playing sunday for about 6-7 hrs in witch there were 7 (i counted) draws, i really need a break from the game.

You played 6-7 hours and there were 7 draws, and that's a tragedy? Wow.
Considering the Master of the Field didn't show up, that also means people were fighting and dying (and not being hidden). Ah let me guess, unless 100 people on a server all die within a minute, in a massive frontal charge, the game is boring, unfair, and something needs to be fixed. Uh, no.

Quote from: MouthnHoof
The problem exponentially increase with total number of players in the server (the absolute number of projectiles flying)

That's true when it comes to crossbows, since in 10 vs 10 battle being dedicated crossbowman is pointless, while 50vs50 it makes some sense.
But let me ask you - if I had 3 sets of Jarid, and you were charging me 1 on 1 without the shield, what would be your odds of dying before you even reach me?

The entire point of having no shield and charging frontally is that you're at a disadvantage. It's supposed to be like that.

Main problem is: accepting the ranged playstyle as *equal* is just unacceptable to many. That's the real problem here - anything else is merely a matter of game balance.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:13:56 pm by Tai Feng »
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 08:05:19 pm »
Most battles in the middle ages also had insane levels of range. Only hollywood has those stupid levels of mass melee combat and no range, mainly because watching melee is more entertaining.
Did they? Oh.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:01 pm »
Well arent we touchy Tajči, was looking forward to your bible answer but wasnt quite satisfied left me wanting for more...

Face it you will never be as good xbowmen as Dave, Ronald or Gnjus just to name a few so you and your higher tactics just might grab a bow and call it a day.

Now go on put your Mercs banner in a shameless attempt to rig in some x5˙s... oh but i forgot 7 draws in a day isnt a problem right?
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
That looks like a bad character build. You could've taken secondary melee weapon instead which would help you 10x more...

Dont see how second melee weapon is gonna protect me from archers....

If you lose a swordfight besides yourself you can also blame shared connection and wireless, both of which can drastically reduce the ability to fight in melee.

And blaming your net is why I have never died under your blade, but your life has ended under mine many times, Imperial Guard Tai Feng, Im not trying to troll you, but since you cannot defeat my archer char in melee with your INF char, your opinion on both ranged and melee combat are not valid to me, sorry.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »
Well arent we touchy Tajči, was looking forward to your bible answer but wasnt quite satisfied left me wanting for more...

Face it you will never be as good xbowmen as Dave, Ronald or Gnjus just to name a few so you and your higher tactics just might grab a bow and call it a day.

Now go on put your Mercs banner in a shameless attempt to rig in some x5˙s... oh but i forgot 7 draws in a day isnt a problem right?

Sad.

I'm sorry, all I could read is "My ego is bleeding."
Your entire post is mirroring.. and mirroring.. and mirroring.

You need a psychiatrist, not a computer game. Actually more of an exorcist, since you're primitive and malevolent.

Now excuse me, I'm going to have some fun with relaxed gameplay while your sensitive ego is suffering.

Quote from: Grey
but since you cannot defeat my archer char in melee with your INF char, your opinion on both ranged and melee combat are not valid to me, sorry.

I don't have INF char, I have a dedicated crossbowman char that has 1H as a backup weapon. And even if I had a pure inf char, I would still lose to a good ranged player, simply because he plays better and stats don't give you instant win. I see nothing wrong with that.
If you only accept the oppinion of #1 player in the game, you might want to send message to his inbox, instead of participating in a public forum thread.

But if you have a desire to troll, then go ahead. I'll be playing my crossbowman and whatever else I like, however I like, and everyone else can whine endlessly. I'm deaf.

And blaming your net is why I have never died under your blade, but your life has ended under mine many times, Imperial Guard Tai Feng

Oh and what the hell is this, the Night of the Living Egomaniacs?

I don't even know what's your IG nick, and couldn't care less either way. But I somehow doubt I never killed you, considering I kill everyone at one point or another. But unlike you I don't count it, the game does that for me (in form of kills and deaths).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:46:53 pm by Tai Feng »
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »
since you're primitive and malevolent.

I have a dedicated crossbowman

Better primitive and malevolent then a retarded piece of shit like yourself. You got muted numerous times for writing shit here and you'll get muted again, no worries about that.
As for the dedication - the only dedicated thing you are is a dedicated asshole who after ages in this game still sucks in every single aspect of it so you need to make up for it by trolling about "tactics" while you clearly have no idea about the meaning of the word. Now feel free to go and relax yourself by hiding among the trees and running away from combat, thats what you do best.....actually that is the only thing youre any good with, about the top of the crop when it comes to your "tactical knowledge".
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 09:12:10 pm »
Better primitive and malevolent then a retarded piece of shit like yourself. You got muted numerous times for writing shit here and you'll get muted again, no worries about that.
As for the dedication - the only dedicated thing you are is a dedicated asshole who after ages in this game still sucks in every single aspect of it so you need to make up for it by trolling about "tactics" while you clearly have no idea about the meaning of the word. Now feel free to go and relax yourself by hiding among the trees and running away from combat, thats what you do best.....actually that is the only thing youre any good with, about the top of the crop when it comes to your "tactical knowledge".

Gnjus, reading your posts is a disgusting thing in itself, and I have to wash hands each time I do so, but here it goes.

1. Your posts speak for themselves.
2. I got Muted only once, which was abuse of admin who I believe is no longer admin anyway. Either way, lying too much ha.
3. You can continue calling "fa-g-cher" anyone who disagrees with your way of playing. You can also continue to demean people, troll, and whatever. That's your mentality and your existence choice.
4. You're constantly insulting everyone in the game and on the forum. Unlike you, I only dislike few people, and even then don't post anything until they start it. So look who's talking. I believe you don't have a single post on the forum where you're not spitting poison on someone and trying to infest him.

All this coming from a guy whose clan has tag "my old friend" (not a coincidence) and whose nickname "Gnjus" means "slime / the despicable".

Now, by all means, feel tribal a bit more and protect your clan mate and kindred spirit.